Oppo Camp Other Games Rolling Thread 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Page 56 of the AFL rules: Laws of the game 2022

Rule 18.3 (Other)

A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player who:

(a) Throws the football;
(b) hands the football to another Player;

It might have been technically correct, but... If you read through most of the free kick rules, a lot of them allow for umpire discretion or as they call it “In the Spirit of the game”.

This was not in the spirit of the game.

Period.
No, that’s very clearly for when the ball is in play. Otherwise…

Is it a free against if I throw the ball back to the umpire at a ball up?

Is my teammate has a free, is it a reversal if I hand it to him?

If my opponent has a free and I throw it to him on the full, is it a 50m penalty against me?

That interpretation is pure nonsense and channel 7 should be ridiculed for promoting it.

Rule 18.3 (Other)

(a) Throws the football;

It might have been technically correct, but... If you read through most of the free kick rules, a lot of them allow for umpire discretion or as they call it “In the Spirit of the game”.

Period.
Strange how some of these umps can't see when the ball is clearly over the boundary line .. yet in the dying minutes of a close game they choose to be an absolute stickler for a rule like this 🙄

Rule 18.3 (Other)

(a) Throws the football;

Period.
I've never really been one to worry about umpires decisions but this one doesn't sit right with me. The umpire blew time off, so how can it be time wasting. Sullivan couldn't see the umpire, as he was a good 15m behind him. Hopefully he's been taken off the finals list

No, that’s very clearly for when the ball is in play. Otherwise…

Is it a free against if I throw the ball back to the umpire at a ball up?

Is my teammate has a free, is it a reversal if I hand it to him?

If my opponent has a free and I throw it to him on the full, is it a 50m penalty against me?

That interpretation is pure nonsense and channel 7 should be ridiculed for promoting it.

You're preaching to the choir, ss17.

The AFL has declared the decision to be correct. 🤷‍♂️

I've never really been one to worry about umpires decisions but this one doesn't sit right with me. The umpire blew time off, so how can it be time wasting. Sullivan couldn't see the umpire, as he was a good 15m behind him. Hopefully he's been taken off the finals list

Bizarre decision.

I can see why the AFL wanted to stand behind their staff, but like you, I hope that moron isn't put into a position where his ineptitude can decide a final.

Strange how some of these umps can't see when the ball is clearly over the boundary line .. yet in the dying minutes of a close game they choose to be an absolute stickler for a rule like this 🙄

People are accustomed to WWE levels of controversy from AFL umpires, but you know it's a howler when a decision has so many proclaiming: "WTF???".

Bizarre decision.

I can see why the AFL wanted to stand behind their staff, but like you, I hope that moron isn't put into a position where his ineptitude can decide a final.
Unfortunately, he is one of the AFL’s most experienced umpires.

Because it can allow a team to get numbers back. So it is time wasting, but not wasting the game clock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main thing I am most looking forward to for the remainder of the weekend is West Coast v St Kilda.

Looking forward to the Reid show and more excuses from Ross the Toss.

Because it can allow a team to get numbers back. So it is time wasting, but not wasting the game clock.
It was a stoppage deep in the Freo forward line. All players were set.
It wasn’t wasting any time.
Just a pedantic BS call from a man who wanted to make a statement about himself.

The main thing I am most looking forward to for the remainder of the weekend is West Coast v St Kilda.

Looking forward to the Reid show and more excuses from Ross the Toss.
That would be weird because aren't Eagles playing Crows? And Dee's playing Saints?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back