Autopsy Our home losing streak and our current sorry state of affairs.

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to completely change our forward structure. We looked far more dangerous with Kennedy out of the team. He and darling should be both pushed up to half forward and the forward 50 needs to be cleared completely for Ryan, and when he’s off rioli or pettrecelle. We need to develop B.Williams so nicnat can play goal square more. Ryan and NN are the two nightmare match ups for any team, and the moment Kennedy or Darling get a spud, they can enter the 50 again.

Next thing we need to change is Centre square taps, but save that for another day, along with kick ins

Speed of ball movement is, as you say vital , however our current leading patterns forward of the defensive 50 metre arc need urgent attention.

As greatwhiteshark mentions our forwards are making it difficult for themselves by clogging the lead zones.

We congested our own forward line and this problem is compounded by the “bomb it long mentality” …….. and I am sorry, it gets worse…. Because we don’t adequately crumb either front and square or behind the contest.
( Willie does however and in the last few games JJones has played he does too)

Our defensive ( witches hats ) structures are easy for opposing teams to pick apart as we guard space not players.
Teams are now skilled and drilled at the shorter, quicker accurate passes that enable fast ball movement to split open our defensive structures .

These are just a few of our fundamental shortcomings .
Don’t get me started on:
Tackling.
Short 2 metre handpasses.
Run- stop- pivot ….killing momentum.
Playing through the whistle.

Likewise are the apparent IMO, lack of discipline to enforce non negotiable’s.
Having said that I am assuming that we have at the very least the sort of non negotiable’s that even an U/18 team has.
I agree re leading patterns. The problem is exacerbated greatly by slow ball movement resulting in a well positioned and prepared defence when we do go into 50. Its a team game (obviously) and we seem to have players very relucyant to make it easier for their team mates by blocking, tackling, run through lines, fast ball movement and movement down field to give the kicker a target. How often do you see when we do have a promising passages it end in a sideways kick because there are no targets forward.

There is very little movement anywhere on the field, starting at kick ins where we all gather on the right hand side, all the way through to the long kick to the wing and the bomb to a static inside 50. Only change up is Kennedy or Ryan leading on the boundary line where we try and hit up an impossible kick. The few times we take the game on through the middle and with speed we look amazing.

We can’t have quick ball movement out of defense because if we don’t score on the turnover the opposition seems to get a goal virtually every time. I think it’s mainly our zone style of defensive and the lack of any quality endurance based runner in our midfield. I would guess that if you took the rucks out our on ballers would mostly be in the <25% for fitness testing. Then you throw in our lack or rotations / trust in anyone else to play on ball and we play like a super rules team.

Simpsons only trick is to wait for our ‘stars’ to comeback. But no midfielder, NN aside, has been a consistent star for a looooong time

If you transported our best 22, well coached and approaching top form and fitness and put them into a finals series from somewhere in the top four then it could still win a a flag. Unfortunately this has driven the entire mindset of the club for 4 years. The reality is that we are a million miles from a contending finals series, we are poorly coached, unfit and the talent falls off a cliff after our best 22 who own most of the salary cap.

The only reason we got that priority pick was the AFL gave the first 3 picks to GC that year and the top 2 picks were under-age WA guns .
incorrect. From 2006-2012 the rules were if you won 4 or less games (16.5 points) in a season you were given a start of second round pick. Then If you won 4 or less games (16.5 points) in consecutive seasons you were given a start of first round pick. Hence, if we were tanking it was 2009 that we screwed up. Because winning 4 of the last 5 cost us priority picks in 2009 and 2010. Not sure how that would have worked with GC in the draft.

This is how we got Darling in 2010.

It's all part of a cunning plan to bore the opposition into giving up and going home.

Like we all did at half time at the derby.

Wife and I got to 3/4 time.

Buggered if we were going to watch Q4 and then the 4.5 hr drive home. Saved 30 mins minimum leaving at 3/4 time.

Besides my coaching, to that point in time was having no effect on players or umpires. Couldn’t be bothered flogging a dead horse.

Wife and I got to 3/4 time.

Buggered if we were going to watch Q4 and then the 4.5 hr drive home. Saved 30 mins minimum leaving at 3/4 time.

Besides my coaching, to that point in time was having no effect on players or umpires. Couldn’t be bothered flogging a dead horse.
4.5hr drive geeeeez!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK you bunch of utensil teases, who actually saw Daddy Winder's rant and who can actually summarise what it was about?

You can't just drop a mention of it like that without elaborating...was it about Winder not being selected like I've seen vaguely suggested here?

Did anyone get a screen grab?

I'm as shocked as anyone that he's not been selected this year. I need answers!!

hungry homer simpson GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

OK you bunch of utensil teases, who actually saw Daddy Winder's rant and who can actually summarise what it was about?

You can't just drop a mention of it like that without elaborating...was it about Winder not being selected like I've seen vaguely suggested here?

Did anyone get a screen grab?

I'm as shocked as anyone that he's not been selected this year. I need answers!!

hungry homer simpson GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
Something along the lines of - That we continue to reward players with games who chip around and stat pad while there are players having to put in double the work to get a game.
From the checks notes Winder thread

From the checks notes Winder thread
touché

Seems reasonable to me, but it's a shame when parents chip in on social media like that. It never achieves anything and I'm sure it must be embarrassing for Isiah.

Weird he hasn't got a game this year.

On SM-N985F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Plenty of time for us to have a run of continuity with the 22, win more than a few games and finish in the wasteland that is 9th-12th imo.

In fact I can see us being that one team seemingly each season that wont play finals but finals bound teams wont want to play in fear they lose.

No reason we still cant make top 4.
In 2017 Sydney lost the first 6 games and still bounced back to make 6th place (and 1 game out of the top 4).

If we can get on the ledger this week and start to get players back no reason we cant make a run for it.

Inspired by a Facebook meme on an Eagles page I have decided that we have to be unrelentingly positive and firmly believe that our club will get into finals because what this club needs is unrelenting boomer Mum level positivity.
View attachment 1364689

As opposed to boomer Mum level negativity where you keep having to explain to her that there are some pretty damn good reasons why the past 3 games have been a mess...

As opposed to boomer Mum level negativity where you keep having to explain to her that there are some pretty damn good reasons why the past 3 games have been a mess...
Or the old boys who still don't understand a zone defence and whose understanding of footy tactics boils down to..

I'm really stunned that there are so many people that think along the lines of:

- we could still make the top 4
-when we get our players
  • if we had our best 22 in
  • if we made finals we could match it with anyone

It was 4 years ago. The time passed us by. The evidence is staring right in front of you.

Let go and accept.

-when we get our players

It was 4 years ago. The time passed us by. The evidence is staring right in front of you.

Let go and accept.
Flag's in the bag, baby.

-when we get our players

Let go and accept.
Best now is we slowly pick up form and ruin other teams seasons

-when we get our players

Let go and accept.

I'm really stunned that there are so many people that think our S&C/medical or whatever could get/keep our best 22 on the field for a decent chunk of our season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back