Roast Our medical staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Adz

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
The same ones who let Jamie Elliott cool down after learning up - does hamstring

The same ones who send Wells back on the ground - had done a hamstring

The same ones who rubbed Treloar’s hammy thinking it was grabbed.

Who will be there next victim and then what will be th cost?

The same ones who let Jamie Elliott cool down after learning up - does hamstring

The same ones who send Wells back on the ground - had done a hamstring

The same ones who rubbed Treloar’s hammy thinking it was grabbed.

Who will be there next victim and then what will be th cost?
wow extremely long bow.. Elliott how's well documented back issues and his hamstrings will always be effected by this. and Teloar no matter which medical team we had he would have torn his hammy with the awkard way in which he feel. and Wells let's just say if we didn't pay his superannuation he might actually prepare better

I can't believe you are blaming medical staff for Treloar's injuries. I'm genuinely gobsmacked

Surely the medical staff can prevent him from arching his back and losing his balance whilst running full sprint? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A stupid freak accident, coupled with terrible luck is the only conclusion that can be made.

If you want to draw a long bow, blame Treloar for trying to do too much which forced him to run in such an awkward style, causing his hammies to go POPEDY POP!

I can't believe you are blaming medical staff for Treloar's injuries. I'm genuinely gobsmacked

Surely the medical staff can prevent him from arching his back and losing his balance whilst running full sprint? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A stupid freak accident, coupled with terrible luck is the only conclusion that can be made.

If you want to draw a long bow, blame Treloar for trying to do too much which forced him to run in such an awkward style, causing his hammies to go POPEDY POP!
I think it is more the fact that they didn't ice them immediately, and were rubbing them and had him walking around.
That is not how most medical professionals deal with a suspected hamstring injury.

Biggest concern is them massaging it and letting him try some run throughs.

If he has a bad tear which is likely the case, the fact they couldn't diagnose that or notice any change in range or strength in the hamstring is mind boggling, unless Adam is super human with the pain threshold of a woman who has given birth 17 times.

It's not our Doctors/Fitness staff's fault he got injured, but their handling of it after the incident should be investigated.

I am gobsmacked to be honest.

I'm the first person to into into the medical staff as many would know.

But Treloar's injury(ies) is literally...literally a first in sporting history. That's just pure bad luck. Is it typical Collingwood? Of course, ONLY a Collingwood player could cop a double hammy. But that's hardly the medical team's fault.

The others? Yeah, more than happy to blame them for the others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he has a bad tear which is likely the case, the fact they couldn't diagnose that or notice any change in range or strength in the hamstring is mind boggling, unless Adam is super human with the pain threshold of a woman who has given birth 17 times.

It's not our Doctors/Fitness staff's fault he got injured, but their handling of it after the incident should be investigated.

At what stage does the medical staff override the feedback from the player?

Medical staff: "How do you feel Adam? Can you explain what you feel or try to describe what's going on in your hammies?"

Treloar: "Feels like I cramped up really badly in both hammies. It has subsided a little bit now, still sore though"

Medical staff: "That's weird Adam, for all intents and purposes you looked certain to have injured your hammies"

Treloar: "Feels like a cramp, perhaps a rub down will help alleviate the cramp"

I could go on, but you get the point.

If Adam has stated he feels like he's cramping in his legs, what's the medical staff to do? Obviously they should be conservative and make him rest at the very least considering what stage it was so late in the match.

Should they have let him do some run-through drills? Absolutely not.

Should they have rub his hammies? Probably not, but if he's torn ligaments and requires surgery, it makes no difference whatsoever what they did.

Should they have iced him up? No question that's exactly what should've happened.

In summary......We're all gobsmacked

At what stage does the medical staff override the feedback from the player?

Medical staff: "How do you feel Adam? Can you explain what you feel or try to describe what's going on in your hammies?"

Treloar: "Feels like I cramped up really badly in both hammies. It has subsided a little bit now, still sore though"

Medical staff: "That's weird Adam, for all intents and purposes you looked certain to have injured your hammies"

Treloar: "Feels like a cramp, perhaps a rub down will help alleviate the cramp"

I could go on, but you get the point.

If Adam has stated he feels like he's cramping in his legs, what's the medical staff to do? Obviously they should be conservative and make him rest at the very least considering what stage it was so late in the match.

Should they have let him do some run-through drills? Absolutely not.

Should they have rub his hammies? Probably not, but if he's torn ligaments and requires surgery, it makes no difference whatsoever what they did.

Should they have iced him up? No question that's exactly what should've happened.

In summary......We're all gobsmacked

So they took the word of a player who has openly admitted straight after the game he has never torn anything before, rather than do an assessment which any qualified sports doctor can perform, there would have been tell tale signs from a physical examination that his hamstrings were damaged.

If they went down in the rooms and sat in a room and asked, "how do you feel Ads..?" and he replied, "yeah pretty good, lets get me back out there" and they just nodded and agreed, they should be fired on the spot.

None of us know what happened in the rooms but they should have been able to easily diagnose hamstring tear, i know that much.

Apparently the fact that Treloar could tolerate a rub down is why they thought that he had acute cramp rather than having an actual injury. Apparently under normal circumstances when a player does a hamstring they can’t tolerate a rubdown on the effected area. They can’t tolerate the run throughs either.

It’s also worth noting that from what information has been put out yesterday they couldn’t make a definitive diagnosis of the scans which is also unusual in this case. I don’t think you can entirely blame the doctors if they are applying normal diagnostic procedures and getting abnormal results, especially ground staff that don’t have access to scans etc.

Can we start to think their could be a link with the Olympic Park oval ?

I have zero idea on how any of this stuff works. Injries- training etc.

But it just seems for the last 4 years the amount of injuries we have had has been way above league average . 4 years can't be a coincidence. We should be searching for answers.

As always I would prefer to blame the medical staff simply because it's so easy to do with Collingwood injuries. I would have thought Treloar's writhing movements on the ground should have been sufficient for staff to err on the side of caution. He is a huge loss as he provides acceleration unmatched by our other mids.

Can we start to think their could be a link with the Olympic Park oval ?

I have zero idea on how any of this stuff works. Injries- training etc.

But it just seems for the last 4 years the amount of injuries we have had has been way above league average . 4 years can't be a coincidence. We should be searching for answers.

Treloar's was a freak accident, the mechnism of your weight falling forward at speed while your legs are straight and bent at the back elongates the tendons to breaking point.

I do think there is a corrolation in increase of soft tissue injuries and the new ground, but Treloar's injury imo would almost be classified as impact rather than wear and tear.

I'm not a physio, but wouldn't Treloar have felt incredible pain when they we're rubbing his hamstrings that allegedly tore off the bone? That sounds like it'd be excruciating to do anything related to leg movement.
Allegedly is correct - he was doing run throughs on the boundary - how would you do that with the injury as described?

Allegedly is correct - he was doing run throughs on the boundary - how would you do that with the injury as described?
To me quite clearly the hamstring was not "torn off the bone" as he would be in agony and unable to walk.

What appears to have happened is that the tendon of the hamstring has partially torn, either the tendon itself or from the connection to the bone.

I'm pretty sure that Sam Mitchell had a similar injury 2 years ago at Hawthorn where he required surgery. He could also walk ok etc after the game and at first it just looked like any other hamstring injury.

With Adam, I'm thinking the tendon damage is very high up in the leg. Eddie did say on the radio this morning that he also has a very high pain tolerance threshold.

I thought the cramp story was BS the second I heard it. Who gets cramp in June? That alarm bells weren't ringing and they tried to get him going at the 20min mark of the last qtr, of a game which was over, is an issue for me.

I'm not a physio, but wouldn't Treloar have felt incredible pain when they we're rubbing his hamstrings that allegedly tore off the bone? That sounds like it'd be excruciating to do anything related to leg movement.

don't think its torn off the bone. its tendon "damage"
you're right, it would be impossible to move around like he did after the game if its off the bone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back