• None of the above

Votes: 18 3.5%
  • Simon Lloyd

Votes: 7 1.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to believe him, but if life has taught me anything it's that people will usually do what's in the best interests of themselves. I'm sure he has aspirations to be the head coach next year and that would be playing on his mind no doubt. He would have come in initially with no pressure and expectation and just said to the players have a red hot dip, take the game on and tackle hard. Now that he has a decent chance of keeping the job it's only natural that he will start to do what's in his best interests.

Sounds like you aren't very trusting.

I don't trust the board and the club but, for some reason, I'm happy to give JB the benefit of the doubt.

Sounds like you aren't very trusting.

I don't trust the board and the club but, for some reason, I'm happy to give JB the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe it is just me being cynical.. but Carlton haven't made a lot of right decisions in recent times and I'd like to think the interview process will be extensive and thorough.

History isn't on his side though.. the caretaker coach rarely goes on to take over full time and I'd suggest this time will be no different. Expect a few more names to be thrown up as the year progresses.

We're not going to have a premiership winning coach until we have a premiership winning team until we have a premiership winning coach until we have a premiership winning team until........

I am looking forward to seeing whom the Selection Panel chooses as our next senior coach.
I am not sold on any one person as yet. However, the fact we are sticking to a process, is instilling confidence we on the right track for once.

What are your thoughts on the benefit of having a ex AFL coach on staff who is successful at the next level down (VFL, SANFL etc) rather than just ex players aspiring to be coaches.

Players decide they want Barker cos he's 'one of the boys'.
Club decides to go with someone different.
Players do their usual and crack the sads and won't play for the coach.
New coach's career is ruined in a year or two.
He is sacked.
We go back to square one.

Count on it.

He is sacked.

Count on it.

So you'll be gone in Sept?

Sorry to intrude...

Just a quick question, do you think its correct that players are commenting on JB or any other potential coach?

I would be livid if this happened at RFC, board should talk to players and coach IMO... NO comment being official line

Think JB answered it well a few weeks ago in presser stating that will take care of itself at end of season and focus was on next weeks game

He is sacked.

Count on it.

If its any consolation, the generation of Carlton coach killers (the ones still around after Mick's list cuts) will almost all be phased out as the rebuild progresses. Cripps, Graham, Doc, Buckley ect are all tougher and hungrier than their predecessors.

Sorry to intrude...

Just a quick question, do you think its correct that players are commenting on JB or any other potential coach?

I would be livid if this happened at RFC, board should talk to players and coach IMO... NO comment being official line

Think JB answered it well a few weeks ago in presser stating that will take care of itself at end of season and focus was on next weeks game

No, they shouldn't be commenting. Trying to gain leverage in the situation. Almost implies that they are not guaranteed to try as hard under another coach IMO.

He is sacked.

Count on it.

As long as we have a clear game plan and clear expectations and aren't playing an ugly boundary line bomb it in long to nobody game plan like programmed robots and we are not losing support because we have no clear understanding of what we are trying to achieve, then the players can go jump.

They killed Pagan, killed Ratten, and contributed to killing Mick although Mick's lack of flexibility and ugly ugly game plan contributed to his own demise just as much.

So you'll be gone in Sept?

What does that even mean?

If its any consolation, the generation of Carlton coach killers (the ones still around after Mick's list cuts) will almost all be phased out as the rebuild progresses. Cripps, Graham, Doc, Buckley ect are all tougher and hungrier than their predecessors.

Really hope you're right!

Our next Coach should/will be from outside the Club.

A thorough interview process(which we are doing) should/will identify the right candidate for the right job.

Once the right candidate is identified, he should/will be offered a long term assurance of tenure unless he right royally stuffs up(Neeld style) in the first couple of years. He might be on Club payroll, or on an initial 3 year contract, or whatever....but the President, CEO, Board, Footy Director must make an in principle committment to the new Coach of at least 5 years regardless of the humps and hollows of an 18 team comp.

I am a pessimist/realist by nature...as i'm sure some here will agree with lol. I have been pessimistic about this Club for a long while, but i'm starting to feel a bit more realism, and awareness of modern reality seeping into and out of our Club recently, and i'm kinda heartened by it.....and am a tad bit optimistic that we might get things a bit more right from now on.

Thoroughly do your homework - Select - Commit - Assist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our next Coach should/will be from outside the Club.

A thorough interview process(which we are doing) should/will identify the right candidate for the right job.

Once the right candidate is identified, he should/will be offered a long term assurance of tenure unless he right royally stuffs up(Neeld style) in the first couple of years. He might be on Club payroll, or on an initial 3 year contract, or whatever....but the President, CEO, Board, Footy Director must make an in principle committment to the new Coach of at least 5 years regardless of the humps and hollows of an 18 team comp.

I am a pessimist/realist by nature...as i'm sure some here will agree with lol. I have been pessimistic about this Club for a long while, but i'm starting to feel a bit more realism, and awareness of modern reality seeping into and out of our Club recently, and i'm kinda heartened by it.....and am a tad bit optimistic that we might get things a bit more right from now on.

Thoroughly do your homework - Select - Commit - Assist.

I think its a good thing for the pressure to be turned up and blind faith in how the club operates to end. I'm really optimistic that what needs to addressed is being addressed. Another positive is that our new Prez is not a club legend, so criticism of inaction or poor decision making by the club will come thick and fast- Our CEO certainly began his tenure without a Mr Popularity sticker as well. They won't get a free pass, but some of us are more interested in what is being done now instead of pointing the blame finger at the past.

No, they shouldn't be commenting. Trying to gain leverage in the situation. Almost implies that they are not guaranteed to try as hard under another coach IMO.

I'm just a tad confused by the situation, tbh.

It's several players, now, who've come out and stated their approval of JB being retained as Senior Coach. I believe the supportive comments from these players (Smurph included) have taken place over two-to-three weeks, is that correct? If so, one might reasonably expect that the club had enough time to think the situation through and realise that such comments are not a 'good look' for a club spruicking that it's undertaking a thorough + independant review.

Are those higher-up unable to reign in the players over the issue? Are comments by players (in support of JB) actually being sanctioned by CFC or certain people at the club?

Trying to understand possible motive(s) of the club and am getting slightly nervous about the coach-selection process, tbh.

The club needs to stomp on any comments by the playing group on who the next coach should be. Barker is "one of the boys" just like Ratten was and when it comes time for Barks to put the foot down, the players are going to go into the same sort of coach killing mode that they did with Ratts.

The club needs to get the players together and tell them... there are no more comments in the news about giving the job to Barker. It undermines the club and the process that they have taken to find the coach to drive the club forward.

And to make sure that the players get it. Tell them that they will be docked a weeks pay if they make any comment to the media about who they want as the next coach.

(from that article ) "The Blues continue to maintain fitness boss David Buttifant will remain next year despite their interest in Dogs fitness guru Justin Cordy, who left to head up the Suns team."

100.gif

The club needs to stomp on any comments by the playing group on who the next coach should be. Barker is "one of the boys" just like Ratten was and when it comes time for Barks to put the foot down, the players are going to go into the same sort of coach killing mode that they did with Ratts.

The club needs to get the players together and tell them... there are no more comments in the news about giving the job to Barker. It undermines the club and the process that they have taken to find the coach to drive the club forward.

And to make sure that the players get it. Tell them that they will be docked a weeks pay if they make any comment to the media about who they want as the next coach.

I'd love to see Johnny get the job. The club's got to go through the process of trying to find the best man for the job and what he's done over the last six or seven weeks has been really good for the footy club," Murphy said on Thursday.

"My opinion gets asked, but in terms of what sort of percentage that holds with the whole scheme of it, I'm not too sure.

"Personally, Johnny has been great for me and I'll support him as long as he's here and whether that's beyond this year, that will play out over the next few months.

"He's putting a great case forward to the selectors but I'm sure the club will go through a process."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-23/barker-gets-the-captains-nod-for-senior-job

I think Murph was just giving his opinion about Barker while still saying the search for a coach is not up to him. Don't think he overstepped the mark here.

The players coming out and endorsing JB just smacks of the tail wagging the dog yet again.

As others have said, JB has done okay since taking over as caretaker, but every team has the inevitable "dead cat bounce" when a disliked coach is purged. The next couple of months are going to be tough, and from my less than educated position, there seems to be quite a few other potential candidates with resumes a little fuller and well rounded than JB.

The players should pull their heads in and let the selection committee do their thing.

Carlton Captain has No opinion

Carlton skipper Marc Murphy when asked by the media his thoughts on caretaker coach John Barker and his clubs search for a coach refused to comment. "I can't speak at all about that. I don't want to give an opinion at all, it may be interpreted as trying to influence proceedings".

Carlton Captain has No opinion

Carlton skipper Marc Murphy when asked by the media his thoughts on caretaker coach John Barker and his clubs search for a coach refused to comment. "I can't speak at all about that. I don't want to give an opinion at all, it may be interpreted as trying to influence proceedings".

Impressive statement by Murph, that lad is really getting the hang of this captaincy gig, has his critics but can't think of a better leader we could have right now than MM. Reckon his leadership skills goes a lot unnoticed (especially by main board neutrals)

Happy for them to endorse anyone they like.

They endorsed MM, they endorsed Ratts etc, etc.

Won't have any impact unless they perform.

The panel will make their determination on hell of a lot more than a few interview grabs.

I am in the Bolton camp for coach. I am unsure of Lloyd as I think he might be too defensive focus since he is working at Freo and I dislike their game plan immensely. Not sure what his game plan would be if he did get the head coach role. I know I want coach who has a modern take on things. Still not sold on Barker, but I do like his game plan and giving the players some freedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back