Our next coach

Who should be our next coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Couch and Roos talks down Teague's prospects while talking up Rhyce Shaw at North. He said Carlton can't go down that route again, I guess meaning an untried coach.

The big knock on Bolton was he hadn't played AFL while Teague has. He has also been an assistant coach for a while. Rhyce Shaw is no different to Teague and North didn't have success under Scott who was a first time senior coach too.

No doubt Roos is angling for a payday and a say in who gets our gig.

I just want to point out that most of our coaches with past associations to Carlton have a coaching record of 50% or over. Not so for many of our coaches who had no prior association with Carlton before coming here to coach.

Pagan, Malthouse, Bolton, Brittain - non Carlton people, losing records.
Ratten, Jesaulenko, Walls and currently Teague - Carlton people, winning records.

Of course some of our greatest coaches have been non-Carlton people - Parkin, Barassi.

I just hate this expectation that we have to get a recycled coach and avoid the jobs for the boys mentality. At least you know that Carlton people are passionate and it hurts when we lose.

I watched a replay of OTC this morning and I reached two alternate conclusions on Roos comments.

1. He has already been approached and has agreed to a mentoring role over an appointed Teague, Voss, Ratten etc. or.....

2. He just submitted a job application for that role.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. Just not a fan of Roos because I think self interest is his primary driver, he seems to rarely take responsibility for his teams poorer performances.

I know it's probably in here somewhere but does anyone know if we have already appointed a coaching advisory panel?

Is Walls on it? because it seems to me that, given his current advisory role that he should have a significant role to play.

I know it's probably in here somewhere but does anyone know if we have already appointed a coaching advisory panel?

Is Walls on it? because it seems to me that, given his current advisory role that he should have a significant role to play.

Campbell, Judd, Lloyd, Liddle, MLG from memory.

I am definitely not sold on Teague. He's only just started the Lvl4 course and is still firmly "winging it". The honeymoon period will pass, just like it did when Barker was caretaker coach.

We need to bring an experienced operator in.

I find it so funny that going back 10-20 pages everyone was raging that Lyon or Clarkson was apparently offered a Godfather offer (according to the media), and that "due process" didn't occur, yet they're happy to hand the keys to the kingdom to Teague off 2 wins and no due process.
We went through the due process with BB. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith. Don't believe Clarkson is a good fit for Carlton and neither is Lyon or Scott. Teague has been in the system for quite a while, so he understands the system. He just needs a decent assistant coaching team around him.

We went through the due process with BB. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith. Don't believe Clarkson is a good fit for Carlton and neither is Lyon or Scott. Teague has been in the system for quite a while, so he understands the system. He just needs a decent assistant coaching team around him.
See, I think with a young squad like we have, we need an older established coach, not a younger untried new coach. Have always despised Lyon, thought he was a flog, but after speaking to a Saints mate yesterday, I’m coming around to thinking he might be a pretty good option. Hasn’t been given a new contract yet, and if you think SOS is going over there, I reckon you’ve got it back to front personally and I reckon Lyon will be coming here. Lyon may also help attract a good player, where a Teague, an unknown, not so much.

Cornes on Footy Classified said last night he thought Hinkley would be an ideal fit for Carlton's next coach. What do others think? He is not listed in the survey above.

Ken is a likeable guy who I’m sure is well liked by the players but Port Adelaide are the biggest underachievers this decade given their list.
It’s a No from me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He took over a team that had barely won for 2 seasons - if he declared himself ready and those results continued, it served only to damage his credentials. There was no benefit to play his hand before letting early results play out - I think we'll now see more subtle comments indicating his interest and readiness.
Thinking along the same line, nothing wrong with him making sure of it before declaring his hand...

See, I think with a young squad like we have, we need an older established coach, not a younger untried new coach. Have always despised Lyon, thought he was a flog, but after speaking to a Saints mate yesterday, I’m coming around to thinking he might be a pretty good option. Hasn’t been given a new contract yet, and if you think SOS is going over there, I reckon you’ve got it back to front personally and I reckon Lyon will be coming here. Lyon may also help attract a good player, where a Teague, an unknown, not so much.
I can't agree with this Sheephead.
My gut feeling is that Lyon would ruin us. And his method was exposed the other night.
If the guy you've got beats a potential candidate. It takes that name off the list right? Surely it must.
And I think players dont really move for coaches. That would be more based on the players saying come on over its the place to be.

I can't agree with this Sheephead.
My gut feeling is that Lyon would ruin us. And his method was exposed the other night.
If the guy you've got beats a potential candidate. It takes that name off the list right? Surely it must.
And I think players dont really move for coaches. That would be more based on the players saying come on over its the place to be.
A coach doesn’t kick the ball. He provides the strategy and it’s up to the players to carry that out. The reason they haven’t offered a contract is believed to be that he’s lost the players. If we lost that game, or it was against someone else, nothing is said. Is Rhys Shaw a better option than Nafan, I don’t think so.

I think Clarkson Longmire and Lyon are streets ahead of any other name associated with our coaching vacancy i personally don't think any of them will move on from their current teams so the only other person that has coached at the top level that I'd be willing to coach our club is Ratten.
The problem with this though is the somewhat previous baggage that hangs over his departure last time, Scott Roos Hinkley Voss are imo absolutely no no no, so then there's the long term assistant coaches and there's definitely some that would have to be looked at.
I'm forming the opinion that we don't need the senior person to take over, we need the right fit for the playing group/list and surround him with the right support within his assistants positions. To me there's nothing that suggests Teague shouldn't be seriously considered if we keep going along the way we're playing...

David Teague
2000 - 2007 83 games Nth/Carl
2007 - 2009 Northern playing/ development coach
2010 - Northern coach Runnerup in GF
2010 - 2013 WestCoast assistant coach
2014 - StKilda assistant coach/forwards
2014 - 2017 Adelaide assistant coach/forwards
2017 - 2019 Carlton assistant coach/forwards (interm)

Last edited:
Cornes on Footy Classified said last night he thought Hinkley would be an ideal fit for Carlton's next coach. What do others think? He is not listed in the survey above.

Not sure. Port supporters must be frustrated with their team's unpredictability in recent years.

Meh option.

Ah no. One P/F appearance. Massive under-achiever and lucky to be holding on to his job. Prefer others.

We took a leap of faith with Ratten, and it sort of worked. We lost the plot when we appointed a moron as a recruiting officer which basically destroyed the club and effectively ended Ratten's career. We then went to the John Elliot model which stated that the appointment of an experienced coach will fix all our problems. It cost us 3 million+ before the Board worked out that a coach can only succeed with a decent list. BB came on board, but lost his way in structures and systems and forgot to let the kids go out and play. Now we have Teague who is doing just that and winning, and all we can do is think about getting in an experienced, possibly tired, unsuccessful senior coach who will bring his own assistants and systems and then complain that his methods are taking longer to implement, and we waste another year or three.

If Teague is appointed (unlikely b/c Carlton is incapable of such a radical act) I would be getting Richardson as Director of Coaching. He is going to be shown the door at St.Kilda, but he is an impressive individual and considering all of the woes that have befallen St.Kilda, I would say he has done a remarkable job. He also has experience as an assistant at Carlton.

Cornes has been pushing his 'get Hinkley out of Port' agenda for a while now.

Ah no. One P/F appearance. Massive under-achiever and lucky to be holding on to his job. Prefer others.

We took a leap of faith with Ratten, and it sort of worked. We lost the plot when we appointed a moron as a recruiting officer which basically destroyed the club and effectively ended Ratten's career. We then went to the John Elliot model which stated that the appointment of an experienced coach will fix all our problems. It cost us 3 million+ before the Board worked out that a coach can only succeed with a decent list. BB came on board, but lost his way in structures and systems and forgot to let the kids go out and play. Now we have Teague who is doing just that and winning, and all we can do is think about getting in an experienced, possibly tired, unsuccessful senior coach who will bring his own assistants and systems and then complain that his methods are taking longer to implement, and we waste another year or three.

If Teague is appointed (unlikely b/c Carlton is incapable of such a radical act) I would be getting Richardson as Director of Coaching. He is going to be shown the door at St.Kilda, but he is an impressive individual and considering all of the woes that have befallen St.Kilda, I would say he has done a remarkable job. He also has experience as an assistant at Carlton.

NO!

I think Teague is a massive chance and he will get the job if we win another 2-3 matches and we are competitive in most of the others. Even less than that and he’s still a big chance.

We haven’t won more than 1 of our last 9-10 since 2014, which is atrocious. Now we have won 2, and every chance to win at least a couple more.

Richo would be a very good get too, I don’t think he’s done much wrong at st Kilda this year, just lethlean is mates with brad Scott to his fate has been pre determined.

At this current minute Teague would have to be favourite, the result we got against freo would of been impossible under Bolts, as we wouldn’t of stuck with what had been failing dismally for 2 years with Cripps in the team, without him.

If Teague has the players on side and there is trust between them and he is willing to make moves that maximize our strengths, he’s our man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back