Strategy Our Next Senior Coach: 2019 & Beyond... is Matthew Nicks

Our next senior coach...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Woosha looking likely to be retained, are we a shot at someone like Caracella or (heaven forbid) Rutten. Nothing against truck but with the current atmosphere at the club it might be seen as to much like a "jobs for the boys appointment".

I'd love Sam Mitchell as our new coach.

Any chance at all?

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

I don't see the fascination with making Mitchell coach so soon out of his playing career. The bloke's only 2 years out of his playing career.

I'd much rather see him do a genuine apprenticeship and get experience at a variety of clubs.

Examples such as Hird, Voss and Buckley should be plenty enough to indicate the dangers of rushing someone into the head coaching gig. Hell we rushed Burton into the Head of Football roll too early too, although there may be other issues there too. Buckley's only now coming good, but rushing him in potentially cost Collingwood a premiership or 2.

Give Mitchell a few years to mature IMO, its rare that coaches get more than one shot at it. I'd rather someone who's gone away and worked on the craft, seen how different clubs operate, worked with various different mentors etc. Currently Mitchell has worked under Clarkson almost his entire career, and Adam Simpson (A Clarkson disciple himself) for 2 years(1 as a player). If I were Mitchell, I wouldn't be spending too much more time under Clarkson.

With Woosha looking likely to be retained, are we a shot at someone like Caracella or (heaven forbid) Rutten. Nothing against truck but with the current atmosphere at the club it might be seen as to much like a "jobs for the boys appointment".

Currently, my gut feel is Pyke will remain, but that Campo, Burton, potentially Roo +/- a few others will go. I then expect us to go hard after someone like Scott Burns to come in as Senior Assistant and transition him into the senior Coaching role over the next year or 2 whilst Pyke moves into the "Head of Football" role.

I don't see the fascination with making Mitchell coach so soon out of his playing career. The bloke's only 2 years out of his playing career.

I'd much rather see him do a genuine apprenticeship and get experience at a variety of clubs.

Examples such as Hird, Voss and Buckley should be plenty enough to indicate the dangers of rushing someone into the head coaching gig. Hell we rushed Burton into the Head of Football roll too early too, although there may be other issues there too. Buckley's only now coming good, but rushing him in potentially cost Collingwood a premiership or 2.

Give Mitchell a few years to mature IMO, its rare that coaches get more than one shot at it. I'd rather someone who's gone away and worked on the craft, seen how different clubs operate, worked with various different mentors etc. Currently Mitchell has worked under Clarkson almost his entire career, and Adam Simpson (A Clarkson disciple himself) for 2 years(1 as a player). If I were Mitchell, I wouldn't be spending too much more time under Clarkson.
So being under Clarkson is a problem in your eyes? You'd not be spending much more time under Clarkson if you were Mitchell? Mmmm interesting angle.

I'll ignore your inclusion of Brett Burton into this conversation, because if I think about your comparison for too long I feel my neck might get sore from the head shaking.

The fact is we couldn't get Mitchell now if we tried, as others have pointed out he's Victoria locked. I was just saying he's a great candidate and that I could imagine success following him if a club could nab him and give him a prolonged run at it.

I reckon if Pyke gets the push (which he should as he hit the wall with our group) then Brad Scott is looking more and more likely. I cannot see our club going for an inexperienced option right now when there is turmoil under every carpet.

So being under Clarkson is a problem in your eyes? You'd not be spending much more time under Clarkson if you were Mitchell? Mmmm interesting angle.

I'll ignore your inclusion of Brett Burton into this conversation, because if I think about your comparison for too long I feel my neck might get sore from the head shaking.

The fact is we couldn't get Mitchell now if we tried, as others have pointed out he's Victoria locked. I was just saying he's a great candidate and that I could imagine success following him if a club could nab him and give him a prolonged run at it.

I reckon if Pyke gets the push (which he should as he hit the wall with our group) then Brad Scott is looking more and more likely. I cannot see our club going for an inexperienced option right now when there is turmoil under every carpet.
Brad Scott works for the AFL now.

Does he? Ok - then who is next in the queue under "experienced" ?

Very few if anyone. Only those who’ve recently been sacked or Voss (no)

I’d be ok with Pyke with better assistants but starting to think we need someone fresh to give us a new angle and feel

Very few if anyone. Only those who’ve recently been sacked or Voss (no)

I’d be ok with Pyke with better assistants but starting to think we need someone fresh to give us a new angle and feel

Yep, would rather clear out the lot now than have the new coach in 12 months time be stuck with contracted assistants. Start from scratch.

Yep, would rather clear out the lot now than have the new coach in 12 months time be stuck with contracted assistants. Start from scratch.

I tell you who might be a smokey - Mark Stone, currently senior coach of Glenelg. Former assistant at Sydney and Freo. He’s done a great job at the Bay.

Might not want to get back on the AFL bandwagon of traveling every second week but then coaching your own AFL side would be very tempting.

Crows can have him after he’s taken the Bays to a flag this year (please god..please...sob)

Teague, shaw, Ratten all senior assistants to caretakers to the main job

The cupboard is empty, there’s nothing out there. Brad Scott is working at AFL House. And Ross Lyon (whom I’d love) is risky

There are no stocks, cupboard is bare which is why clubs aren’t even trying anymore. Just take the caretaker and move on

Pyke will stay, Fagan will go, Burton will go, Campo and Hart will go

David Noble will come back as our new CEO, as we decide we need a footy man in charge. E-sports and baseball will quietly be sidelined

A longmuir/Sumich type will be our new senior assistant.

Roo steps down from the board.

We go headhunting for a new head of football - money is no object. Reckon it will be someone mature and experienced.

That’s my predictions

The cupboard is empty, there’s nothing out there. Brad Scott is working at AFL House. And Ross Lyon (whom I’d love) is risky

There are no stocks, cupboard is bare which is why clubs aren’t even trying anymore. Just take the caretaker and move on

David Noble will come back as our new CEO, as we decide we need a footy man in charge. E-sports and baseball will quietly be sidelined

We go headhunting for a new head of football - money is no object. Reckon it will be someone mature and experienced.

That’s my predictions
Any news on Freo and their chase for a new senior coach? Any idea who they're chasing and/or interviewing, apart from Longmuir?

As an aside, apparently Caracella isn't particularly interested in a senior role and Rutten isn't quite ready (according to some article I read today quoting an Essendon source)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s my predictions
Why are you teasing? No way we could make that many good decisions.

You've gotta ask if the AFL coaching pathway system is doing its job. Seems like we haven't seen too many good up and coming coaches around in recent years.

You've gotta ask if the AFL coaching pathway system is doing its job. Seems like we haven't seen too many good up and coming coaches around in recent years.

Fair point. May just be perception but there seems a lot of guys with their certificate but few pushing through to the top job

That’s my predictions

Rest I reckon are a good shout, but I'd be surprised if Fagan gets the flick seeing he has some involvement in the external review.

That might be a 2020 departure though.

He ain't coming here
Goodwin will be coach in 2021

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
It is looking that Pyke may get moved on before 2020, so if Goody is coach in 2021 that is two more coaches in two years

My gut is they tighten kpi’s on Pyke but no senior coach change for at least 12 months

It is looking that Pyke may get moved on before 2020, so if Goody is coach in 2021 that is two more coaches in two years

My gut is they tighten kpi’s on Pyke but no senior coach change for at least 12 months

Yeah my gut feel is Pyke stays, tighten the screws though, replace a number of support people.

Although I have little faith that we’ll enact much change. I feel that those in power genuinely feel all is fine and dandy from their part and still want to blame either bad luck and the players for our predicament.

That’s my predictions
We can only hope.

I don't believe it will happen though.

I think it will be Brad Scott.

Or - Scott as Head of Football and Ben Rutten as coach.

Yadda yadda boys club - Rutten seems to be legit.

That’s my predictions
I like a lot of that.

Thoughts now?

Brad Scott is absolutely available - we shouldn't kid ourselves about the face-saving job he has at AFL house.

Not Scott please
Isn’t he employed by the AFL now?
Meh - that's just a work experience placement, so he can keep getting his North Melbourne money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back