Prediction Our side round 1, 2020...?

Remove this Banner Ad

Adams and McCarthy for that matter still should have a lot of improvement in them based on their time out of the game and interrupted preparations over several years. Provided they have clear preparations from hereon in. Adams had a knee clean up did he not in May last year and was out for several weeks. You could hardly expect him to set the world on fire with that lead in to the games he played . In fact I was surprised he was able to get himself back in.

McCarthy had his first full pre season just about ever and played every game. He got tired at times understandably but played the team game on most occasions and never shirked an issue.

I think both those guys deserve to be cut a little slack because clearly they have devoted themselves to training and preparing at an extremely high level.

Exactly. Adams is coming off a period of time where he would have lost almost all confidence in his body. To get fit enough to play the back end of the season and to actually take some important grabs and play a handful of ok games was a great result.

Get him on the park, get him confident in our system and his body and he will add value over the next 5 years, there's no doubt about that.

He is a big truck, he will need games to get there.

Its interesting seeing people debate/compare Walker to Adams. They are completely different mold of tall defenders. HA plays the Rance role of sitting at the CHB line 40-50m from a contest. He plays back-shoulder on the second KPF and zones off to support whichever small/tall FWD is targeted out of a contest. Dizzy excels at the Grimes role. He is plays tall and the oppos main small forward and uses his light frame/speed to cover ground. He can also play a tall lockdown wrestle role but that would be masking his main weapon which is speed for a big man. Both HA and Dizzy can play the wrestle/play on the main KPF ala the Astbury role in this Richmond based analogy. Doing so underutilises their main strengths aka playing on smalls for Dizzy and intercept marking for HA. Walker is an offbrand HA and plays the intercepting role well. He sucks big time at wrestling against big men and cant do the Astbury role. If we didnt have HA then Walker would be more than adequate (just not AA level). I am sure we would keep Walker if it would cost us nothing but Walker is in the middle of his career and probably would not take rookie wages/average AFL wages to be a NEAFL player in case HA gets injured. Adams can be played deep on the biggest KPF. We can have Gardiner wrestling a speedy small (Charlie Cameron) type forward and free up HA to play interceptor and help the likes of Witho/Answerth in coverage. Its a no brainer to change Walker for Adams. Walker doing well in another team has no baring on how he would have done here. He would have sucked as the deep forward as he had for the past 2 years and we would have needed to sacrifice the game/weapon of Dizzy or HA to make the most of his skillset (intercepting)

Exactly. Adams is coming off a period of time where he would have lost almost all confidence in his body. To get fit enough to play the back end of the season and to actually take some important grabs and play a handful of ok games was a great result.

Get him on the park, get him confident in our system and his body and he will add value over the next 5 years, there's no doubt about that.

He is a big truck, he will need games to get there.
Pretty certain then that Payne won't wait around 5 years.

I can Adams playing the role Mal Michael use to back in the good old days. The only difference being Adams has better speed and a better kick.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I can Adams playing the role Mal Michael use to back in the good old days. The only difference being Adams has better speed and a better kick.
C'mon; Adams is a rubbish kick with hardly any penetration.

Honestly amazed at how you've completely underestimated how good Mal was back in the day, including his speed and kick. :rolleyes:

I mean how many guys can do this?;)

C'mon; Adams is a rubbish kick with hardly any penetration.

Honestly amazed at how you've completely underestimated how good Mal was back in the day, including his speed and kick. :rolleyes:

I mean how many guys can do this?;)

His kicking is a weak point.

I'm wondering whether his knee issue had something to do with that . I seem to remember him being a much better kick at the Dogs ,a couple of long goals.

Wouldn't you love Mal Michael back. Harris and Mal , you could build a fortress around that

He kicks from the top of his hamstring and it goes like 35m lol. However, we have plenty of good users off half back so I'm willing to turn a blind eye. lol

Lester - Gardiner - Answerth
McStay - Andrews - Rich
McLuggage - Neale - Robinson
Rayner - Hipwood - Berry
Cameron - McInerney - Christensen

Followers: Martin, Zorko, Lyons

Interchange: Bailey, Starcevich, McCarthy, Callum Ah Chee.

What do you think Dylan12 and DERRINALPHIL?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lester - Gardiner - Answerth
McStay - Andrews - Rich
McLuggage - Neale - Robinson
Rayner - Hipwood - Berry
Cameron - McInerney - Christensen

Followers: Martin, Zorko, Lyons

Interchange: Bailey, Starcevich, McCarthy, Callum Ah Chee.

What do you think Dylan12 and DERRINALPHIL?
I like it.

The only player I’m not sold in is Ah Chee. I just haven’t seen any key attribute that says to me he is a walk up start. I’m probably too bias towards Cedric Cox but I’d be swapping that two out. Each to their own though.

Good team; I like that Lester has been named.

Replacing Hodge and Answerth with Birchall and Ah Chee scares me a little from a defensive point of view. Think we have to keep Answerth in the side. Even Witherden just feels like a better defensive player than either of the two new recruits.

Agreed. I'd like to play only 2 of Birchall, Ah Chee and Witherden and bring Answerth in. Especially against the Hawks who have good small forwards.

Replacing Hodge and Answerth with Birchall and Ah Chee scares me a little from a defensive point of view. Think we have to keep Answerth in the side. Even Witherden just feels like a better defensive player than either of the two new recruits.
I think that Birchall will be ok defensively when fully fit.
AhChee on the other hand is a little concerning. I have liked what I have seen of him with the ball in hand throughout the pre-season but on the weekend he was a bit of a liability defensively.
I really like what Answerth has to offer and other than Darcy Gardiner he is the only other lock down defender we have. And has a bit of speed, run and footy smarts which is not easy to find.

For me, the fringe players that are key for our 1year view (now) and 5year plans (future) - to play in our B22 - are: Starcevich - IMO he projects to a more polished version of MRobbo
Payne - could be the second best TD in the league
Ely Smith/Dev - surely both can become much, much better than CEY (off a small sample size, CEY just looks so fumbly. Tom Bell was no worse than him)

With the ^ in mind; I would play these guys R1:

Gardiner - Andrews - Rich
Birchall - Payne - Ah Chee
Lugga - J Lyons - Berry
Cameron - Rayner - McStay
McCarthy - Hipwood - Zorks
Martin - Neale - E Smith

Robbo - McFadyen - Starce - Bailey

I think Connor McFadyen is an AFL player - he looks like a Josh Drummond type i.e becomes a better player at a higher level. And, I really like his forward craft - he could be a mobile 3rd tall for us.

I feel strongly McStay is a nice option as second back up ruck (20%) because he has bundles of talent, just a weak/scattered game day head. If he doesn’t see himself as a full time forward with pressure to Kick 2/3 goals a game, I sense he could become a good high HF type with pinches in the Ruck

I like it.

The only player I’m not sold in is Ah Chee. I just haven’t seen any key attribute that says to me he is a walk up start. I’m probably too bias towards Cedric Cox but I’d be swapping that two out. Each to their own though.

Good team; I like that Lester has been named.
Lol Lester.

McStay is not a full forward. He is built more to play up the ground as a moving forward who can crash packs and take the odd contested mark. Hipwood for mine gets lost at half forward too often and goes missing for big chunks of games. Hipwood is better served playing deeper forward. The minute he got moved to full forward in the game against the Demons at the Gabba last year he swung the game and kicked a bag.

I like the idea of Hippy and Oscar playing deep and Charlie down there as well. You have two quick leading forwards in Charlie and Hippy and a tall marking option with Oscar. Won't be much fun defending that set up. Two players over 200cm and one lightning quick forward.

Answerth proved he is 100% fit is a lock for round 1.

B: Gardiner Andrews Answerth
HB: Witherden Adams Rich
C: Robbo Lyons McCluggage
HF: McCarthy McStay Rayner
FF: Oscar Hipwood Cameron

R: Martin Zorko Neale

I: Berry - Bailey - Ah Chee - Ellis Yolmen

I would consider Christensen before CEY if he's fit but not sure he will ready for round 1?

I like the idea of playing Berry for periods in the middle and resting Zorko up forward.

Genuine question for all those that think Ah Chee should be named in the round one side.

Why?

He was horrible in the practice match against Port and there were countless examples throughout that game alone where guys like Motlop left him in their wake and other defenders were having to provide cover, which then exposed their man.

Personally, I feel as though he is being named based on his high draft pick because you couldn't seriously select him unless he dramatically improves.

For me, the fringe players that are key for our 1year view (now) and 5year plans (future) - to play in our B22 - are: Starcevich - IMO he projects to a more polished version of MRobbo
Payne - could be the second best TD in the league
Ely Smith/Dev - surely both can become much, much better than CEY (off a small sample size, CEY just looks so fumbly. Tom Bell was no worse than him)

With the ^ in mind; I would play these guys R1:

Gardiner - Andrews - Rich
Birchall - Payne - Ah Chee
Lugga - J Lyons - Berry
Cameron - Rayner - McStay
McCarthy - Hipwood - Zorks
Martin - Neale - E Smith

Robbo - McFadyen - Starce - Bailey

I think Connor McFadyen is an AFL player - he looks like a Josh Drummond type i.e becomes a better player at a higher level. And, I really like his forward craft - he could be a mobile 3rd tall for us.

I feel strongly McStay is a nice option as second back up ruck (20%) because he has bundles of talent, just a weak/scattered game day head. If he doesn’t see himself as a full time forward with pressure to Kick 2/3 goals a game, I sense he could become a good high HF type with pinches in the Ruck

McStay would thrive in that link up role similar to Tom Lynch at the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back