Remove this Banner Ad

black_spankie

Team Captain
Jan 18, 2009
dubai
AFL Club
Collingwood
3rd quarter carlton vs essendon
carlton player gets a free kick in back line and stands over the boundry line, while waiting to bring the ball back into play the umpire calls play on before the carlton player returns the ball to the field of play.

my question is,
if the ball is out of play when the umpire calls play on should it be a throw in?:confused:

I think it should be, but I don't know what the rule is.

If it happens after the siren, then it is play on isn't it.

carlton player gets a free kick in back line and stands over the boundry line, while waiting to bring the ball back into play the umpire calls play on before the carlton player returns the ball to the field of play.

my question is,
if the ball is out of play when the umpire calls play on should it be a throw in?:confused:

I believe that it would be OOB only if the player deviates off the mark.

So if he kicks over the man on the mark it is OK.

What about the On the Full decision against Carlton:eek:

sounds sensible:thumbsu:

if the player refuses to bring the ball back into play (say, to waste time)
how can he be tackled if he is out of play?

sounds sensible:thumbsu:

if the player refuses to bring the ball back into play (say, to waste time)
how can he be tackled if he is out of play?

Interesting question.

I would guess that if he did hold on to the ball and the opposition player was to run at him, he would still need to bring it in back over the mark.

The rule has always been as such, but I guess it has only been the last few years that we have seen umpires call play on as much for players who hold it too long.

Without a shadow of a doubt the worst decision i have ever seen in my life. Deserves a thread of its own!!! Who else noticed this? I don't support either side but am still in a state of disbelief. The fact it didn't go against a Geelong player saved me from having to shell out some hard earnt on a new tv :thumbsu:

Why don't you guys look up the rules rather than guess and/or make up rules? The reason we all winge about the rules so much is because none of us bother to learn and know them.

16.5 Disposal — From Out of Bounds
16.5.1 When Permitted
(a) A Player who is awarded a Free Kick or a Mark may bring the
football into play from beyond the Boundary Line provided that
the Player moves in one direction whilst in the act of Kicking,
Handballing or moving to cross the Boundary Line.
(b) If a Player taking his Kick from outside the Boundary Line
(i) fails to bring the football into play;
(ii) attempts to play on outside the boundary line; or
(iii) does not bring the ball into play in accordance with 16.5.1 (a) then the ball shall be deemed to be Out of Bounds and the boundary Umpire shall throw the ball back into play at the spot where the original Mark or free Kick took place.

http://www.afl.com.au/Portals/0/afl_docs/Development/umpiring/Laws%20of%20football_2008.pdf

my question is,

As long as he stays on his line it is not out of bounds, if goes off the line it is a throw in, if he gets tackled it is a throw in. It is a pretty good time wasting tactic imo because you technically can't turn it over.

There were quite a few times tonight I thought it should have been. Once the ump says move it on if they don't and it's called play on it should be a throw in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why don't you guys look up the rules rather than guess and/or make up rules? The reason we all winge about the rules so much is because none of us bother to learn and know them.

16.5.1 When Permitted
(iii) does not bring the ball into play in accordance with 16.5.1 (a) then the ball shall be deemed to be Out of Bounds and the boundary Umpire shall throw the ball back into play at the spot where the original Mark or free Kick took place.

http://www.afl.com.au/Portals/0/afl_docs/Development/umpiring/Laws of football_2008.pdf

Not according to the rules.

Yes it does.

16.5.1 When Permitted

http://www.afl.com.au/Portals/0/afl_docs/Development/umpiring/Laws%20of%20football_2008.pdf

I didn't need to:rolleyes:

I didn't need to:rolleyes:

Yes you did, and clearly still do - learn to read ffs... he doesnt have to bring it in on the line of the mark as youve suggested, he just has to move in one straight line, as the rules say, which can be off the line of the mark as long as he doesnt deviate from the direction he moves in.

Yes it does.

No it doesn't. Fails to bring the ball into play means being tackled when over the boundary line and thus failing to bring it into play given you can't technically be paid a free kick while over the boundary as you would be taking your kick from somewhere in the crowd.

The umpire calling play on just allows the player on the mark to go over the mark. The player with the ball can still bring the ball into play as long as he doesn't move off his line.

It has been like this for more than 2 years now and must have happened 30 odd times in games over this period, not sure why people are struggling with it still.

my question is,

Hahaha when did you start following aussie rules?

No it doesn't. Fails to bring the ball into play means being tackled when over the boundary line and thus failing to bring it into play given you can't technically be paid a free kick while over the boundary as you would be taking your kick from somewhere in the crowd.

If you put it out on the full from your kick, did you bring the ball back into play?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back