Caddy
English
Pickett
Broad
Markov
RCD
Garthwaite
Nankervis
Relatively quiet year in terms of guys out of contract compared to last year and next year

most should stay on similar money with maybe a few due for a bump

• Banned
Relatively quiet year in terms of guys out of contract compared to last year and next year

most should stay on similar money with maybe a few due for a bump

Yeah, its not too bad at all. The club has seemingly done well. The following year however there is a lot of talent coming out of contract. Vlastuin, Rioli, Prestia, Grimes, CCJ - yet thats a long way off currently. You'd expect many to extend between now and then.

Cap space is not officially released to the unwashed public, yet one would think we might be in a healthy spot with Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt on somewhat friendly contracts, Lynch only on 500k apparently for the first three years and a number of 'middling' types off the books the last two off seasons; Miles, Lloyd, Stengle, C Ellis, Conca + B Ellis, Townsend, Menadue, Moore etc.

Seems to be a good balance of high quality players and promising younger ones. Pretty confident with the list management and contract team these days which is nice to be able to say

Last edited:

Houli - probably at the 1 year extension time of his career, so happy to put him on to end of 21 and reassess.

Turner - who knows, haven't seen.

Graham - 3 year extension, end of 23

Short - 2 year extension, end of 22

Caddy - 2 year extension, end of 22

English - who knows haven't seen

Pickett - no idea, he's never done a preseason and been on the list half a year, but is 28 next year yet debuted in a Grand Final :drunk:

Broad - 3 year extension, end of 23

Markov - possibly delisted unless he can crack into the side this year. At best might get a 1 year deal.

RCD - if he's good he could see a 2-4 year extension. He will likely get another 2 years regardless.

Garthwaite - probably at least 1 more year, as we need KPD depth. With a good season he could get a 2-3 year deal.

Nankervis - 25 years old and experienced ruckmen are always valuable and in demand. 3-4 year extension, to the end of 2024.

Next year there is going a real squeeze on the senior list spots for that reason us only having 39 on the senior list after the ND.
We will use picks 19, 38, 40 and 41 and probably trade 56

At the end 2020 we will likely need to elevate DES and Pickett. We might have to trade some senior players as there not many fringe players left to free up list spots. I don't see any of the older guys retiring until 2021.

Houli - probably at the 1 year extension time of his career, so happy to put him on to end of 21 and reassess.
Turner - who knows, haven't seen.Graham - 3 year extension, end of 23Short - 2 year extension, end of 22Caddy - 2 year extension, end of 22
Pickett - no idea, he's never done a preseason and been on the list half a year, but is 28 next year yet debuted in a Grand Final :drunk:
Broad - 3 year extension, end of 23Markov - possibly delisted unless he can crack into the side this year. At best might get a 1 year deal.
RCD - if he's good he could see a 2-4 year extension. He will likely get another 2 years regardless.Garthwaite - probably at least 1 more year, as we need KPD depth. With a good season he could get a 2-3 year deal.Nankervis - 25 years old and experienced ruckmen are always valuable and in demand. 3-4 year extension, to the end of 2024.
Jeez what a wild card is MP!!! 👍 :think:👍

Turner - who knows, haven't seen.

Graham - 3 year extension, end of 23

Short - 2 year extension, end of 22

Caddy - 2 year extension, end of 22

Broad - 3 year extension, end of 23

Markov - possibly delisted unless he can crack into the side this year. At best might get a 1 year deal.

RCD - if he's good he could see a 2-4 year extension. He will likely get another 2 years regardless.

Garthwaite - probably at least 1 more year, as we need KPD depth. With a good season he could get a 2-3 year deal.

Nankervis - 25 years old and experienced ruckmen are always valuable and in demand. 3-4 year extension, to the end of 2024.

Not bad but bit generous with some of the extensions.

Short could be interesting, depending on who takes that 6th spot in the backline now Rance is back, if Broad pushes him out he may look elsewhere.

IF Broad pushes him out?

Broad's magnet is on the board well before Short is even considered.

Next year there is going a real squeeze on the senior list spots for that reason us only having 39 on the senior list after the ND.

At the end 2020 we will likely need to elevate DES and Pickett. We might have to trade some senior players as there not many fringe players left to free up list spots. I don't see any of the older guys retiring until 2021.
It will depend on how much senior action players get. Rance and Stack back are straight in for me. CJ might be tempted to go home. (I hope he gets a good run at AFL level) Short and Baker might be squeezed out of the side. Graham, Broad & Baker may not play as much as this year. Ross will find it hard to get a game.
But Kmac & Markov definitely at the head of the list to depart. Aarts would be lucky to get a game.
We will also have to watch Higgins recovery. Is he a walk up start?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're talking about the back 6 right? So you'd pick Broad over anyone of Rance, Astbury, Grimes, Vlastuin & Houli, thankgod you're not selecting

I’m talking Broad over Short. Only a goose would think someone is picking Broad over those players.

How you even came to that conclusion is probably one of the more puzzling things posted on BigFooty

Fringe players.. I think we have some.

Markov, English, Garthwaite, possibly Miller. No need to trade senior players next year imo. We'd need to draft a KPD this draft for Garthwaite/Miller to be let go though.

Also upandcomers that arent getting senior games.. eg. CCJ, could look elsewhere.

Then agree, in 2021, a couple likely to retire and a couple might look for 2 year deals where we only offer one.

Fringe players.. I think we have some.

Markov, English, Garthwaite, possibly Miller. No need to trade senior players next year imo. We'd need to draft a KPD this draft for Garthwaite/Miller to be let go though.

I like to look at these things with a nod to the amount of opportunity a player has had. Markov is an exciting prospect, but has had more opportunity than the others. I like him as a FF at VFL level, but jeez, can't see him playing that position in the seniors. Needs a big season.

English is just coming into his 2nd season and spent chunks of his first injured - he gets some more time.

Garthwaite - I reckon more than a few have doubts after watching Jeremy Cameron get hold of him. Maybe justified. But his had two bloody strong years in the VFL, and has been handy depth when required, except when the best 22 was decimated. I reckon his a keeper, but time will tell.

Miller has been around for two seasons. Went missing inexplicably for a large part of 2019. Wasn't on the injury list. Wasn't anything from the club saying where he went. I'm assuming he was dropped from the VFL team, or maybe had some personal issues. But he was there by the end of the VFL season. Personally, I was surprised he didn't get delisted this year. Needs a big season. Good luck to the big fella.

Updated -

Miller. Nyuon. Rioli. Riewoldt. Ross.

Aarts. Short. Caddy. Lambert. Baker.

Pickett. Colina. Parker. Rioli. Broad.

Cumberland. Rcd. Edwards. Stack. Cotchin.

Martyn.

Reckon we lose Jack, Cotch and Edwards to retirement this year so there's three straight away.

Aarts and Caddy unlike to get a contract.

RCD, Ross and Martyn and Stacky - much will depend on how they go this year but I can't see Martyn making it as Dow probably has his spot covered.

Lambo might also retire.

The rest are either developing nicely, decent depth or in the 22.

Only need a minimum for 4 to cover our picks, hardest decision would be who to keep.
Yes. Do any of Cotchin, Edwards, Jack, Lambert want another year? If so, do any get the 'tap' like Houli.
Need to see more of Martyn... On the little I've seen, not sure...rookie if so? Big 6 months for RCD. Parker the same.
But with retirements, plus surely Caddy and Aarts, plus as above, 4 is easily done this year.

A bit early in the year for this though 😆

Remove this Banner Ad

Back