News Owies, Cottrell, SDurdin & Honey Sign On

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be fascinating to have some insight into the length of contract decisions made by the club.

Reckon posters just look at the player and say "he's not that good, why bother giving him two years".

Suspect that the List Management team already have a pretty good read on the delisting/trading candidates for 2023. Out of contract and probably at some risk in 12 months - Honey, Plowman, Gov, Dow, S. Durdin, Philp. Less pressure but not "must keeps" (subject to other list changes) - Kemp, JSOS, Pitto, Gov, Newman.

If the LM team don't think they'll need to delist Owies at the end of next year (ie. because they've got 5 or 6 names ahead of him, and a few players they might shop for trades), then it's probably good list management to give him an extra year in exchange for less money per year.
These are definitely factors, as is the notion of giving a national draftee a 2 year deal by default, but there are other options.

Too much player power right now that sees clubs hamstrung when things don't quite line up. I'd love to see DFA extend to previous drafte nominees, and not just previously drafted players. Remove the muck around with figuring out where to value over-age and mature players if they've been in the system, and just get them to where they should be going given they've got less development years available to them.

Maybe add some state league registration or participation requirements, but get them out of the drafting process and get them to clubs that offer them a good fit, even if it's only for a single year.

Don't think he's got the footysmarts or ability to find the ball. He's also got a bit of an issue with fumbling at the top level that he'll need to resolve before he even becomes a forward pocket.

Physically, he can absolutely do it.
Finding the ball appears to be his main issue. TBH Think he’s very clean and clever.
Needs to be more selfish.

Happy with all four, honey has to rely a little less on leg speed to counter his lack of field positioning. Cotts needs game time, Sam needs gameplan and teammate familiarity. Owies is a sponge and has an immense appetite for the contest and learning, will look for him to improve again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I think of Owies I think of missed chances. Missed marks on the lead, missed shots at goal, missed basic 15m pass to a free man that cost us a final. at 26 there is little to no upside. He's a jobber at best.

Who was it that said he wouldn't get a game in any other top 8 club? That's it in a nutshell.

When I think of Owies I think of missed chances. Missed marks on the lead, missed shots at goal, missed basic 15m pass to a free man that cost us a final. at 26 there is little to no upside. He's a jobber at best.

Who was it that said he wouldn't get a game in any other top 8 club? That's it in a nutshell.
It doesn’t matter where he wouldn’t get a game. He gets a game with us. Is he perfect? No. But he’s the best we got. 2 years is fair.

Geez Owies is a bit underrated. Our best small forward by a mile.

Honey is very lucky. He wasn’t great this year. Durdin is a surprise, maybe we want to give him a fair chance.

Personally I reckon Honey is worth another year - I think he has 'something' (pace, x-factor ??) that I'd like to see and assess for another full year.

Personally I reckon Honey is worth another year - I think he has 'something' (pace, x-factor ??) that I'd like to see and assess for another full year.
Poor goal sense, slow, poor defensive pressure, poor disposal. Playing Honey this year felt like playing with a handicap.

Whatever the reason 2021 Josh Honey didn’t make an appearance this year. Hopefully he takes this opportunity to turn it around next year and show us what he’s got.

Geez Owies is a bit underrated. Our best small forward by a mile.

Honey is very lucky. He wasn’t great this year. Durdin is a surprise, maybe we want to give him a fair chance.
I think the fact he is our best small forward is the problem. He wouldn’t get a look in at any of the teams that played finals this year and probably a few outside the 8 as well.
Obviously that’s not his fault and he’s signed on so he’s one of us and I’ll back him in but again I think we need to be realistic that our half forwards are a real weak link in our team.

Last edited:
Poor goal sense, slow, poor defensive pressure, poor disposal. Playing Honey this year felt like playing with a handicap.

Whatever the reason 2021 Josh Honey didn’t make an appearance this year. Hopefully he takes this opportunity to turn it around next year and show us what he’s got.

I know he had injuries but 2022 was a really disappointing year for Honey and I am glad that he only got a 1 year contract extension.

IMO Honey is right up there with Stocker, Kemp and SOS as a player that a lot on here have an optimistic bias towards when talking about.

Last edited:
I know he had injuries but 2022 was a really disappointing year for Honey and I an glad that he only got a 1 year contract extension.

IMO Honey is right up there with Stocker, Kemp and SOS as a player that a lot on here have an optimistic bias towards when talking about.
I dont see the hype around Honey personally, dont understand the justification for his spot on the list.

fair call, but it goes to show you dont have to be a 30-40 goal kicking small fwd as others have mentioned
Every team left in the preliminary final round has at least one, some of them two, small forwards who have kicked 30-40 goals this season.

Every team knows they can get defenders to help against Harry and Charlie without any threat of any of small forwards kicking 3-5 goals in a game.

For me it’s a big hole in our list and a key reason why we missed finals and until it’s addressed it may mean we continue to miss finals.

Every team left in the preliminary final round has at least one, some of them two, small forwards who have kicked 30-40 goals this season.

Every team knows they can get defenders to help against Harry and Charlie without any threat of any of small forwards kicking 3-5 goals in a game.

For me it’s a big hole in our list and a key reason why we missed finals and until it’s addressed it may mean we continue to miss finals.
Rather have two or three small fwds with 20 plus goals myself. Bigger spread of goal kickers and mids kicking more goals

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rather have two or three small fwds with 20 plus goals myself. Bigger spread of goal kickers and mids kicking more goals

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Owies 14 (in 17 games), Durdin 15 (20 games), Fisher 17 (22 games) and SOS 17 (20 games) wasn’t even good enough to get us into the finals.

Somebody(s) need to step up if we are to ever become a contender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back