Recommitted Patrick Cripps [Re-Signed to 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are we "calling it seven years"? Who's offering him seven years?

Huh? So what are you saying?

Yeah, both teams would keep their draft picks if they don't have to trade for Cripps. What's your point?

I thought you were saying that Freo or WC could potentially make an offer that would be too long or too lucrative for Carlton to match? I don't really see how that's feasible. Carlton are in the box seat to offer him as good a deal as anyone, and probably better placed than either WA team.

I thought you asked what deal would be so long to scare Cartlon away from matching a bid due to risk of him not being able to contribute at AFL level at the end of the deal. I put that figure at a seven year deal.

Regarding the trade off there, that the WA sides take on considerable risk by offering Cripps a deal he might not see out so Carlton don't match, they are exchanging a list spot and big cash in six or seven years for two first round players over the next two seasons.

I think every list manager would trade $2,000,000 of salary cap space in seven years for Cripps and two young first round picks added to their squad in a period where they hope to be successful.

I thought you asked what deal would be so long to scare Cartlon away from matching a bid due to risk of him not being able to contribute at AFL level at the end of the deal. I put that figure at a seven year deal.

Regarding the trade off there, that the WA sides take on considerable risk by offering Cripps a deal he might not see out so Carlton don't match, they are exchanging a list spot and big cash in six or seven years for two first round players over the next two seasons.
OK, I see what you're suggesting. But which WA club is going to feasibly offer him seven years?

I think every list manager would trade $2,000,000 of salary cap space in seven years for Cripps and two young first round picks added to their squad in a period where they hope to be successful.
How is it going to be $2 million? His total contract across seven years would be triple that.

OK, I see what you're suggesting. But which WA club is going to feasibly offer him seven years?

I can make a case for both WA teams. The Eagles arguably have a year to stay in contention before key players fall off the top of the talent list, adding Cripps to that could bring midfield clearance dominance to what is more of a spread and transition plan and lesser forwards will be made to look better - it keeps the door open.

Meanwhile Freo are desperate for some success, absolutely desperate for it, and our existing players are old too. Hill/Waters are 30, Fyfe is 29, Lobb is almost 28, Hamling/Taberner are 27, Mundy is 234. Key structural players are at their peak and not getting younger, so I think the management at Freo will choose to strike while the chance is there to add an elite player.

I can make a case for both WA teams. The Eagles arguably have a year to stay in contention before key players fall off the top of the talent list, adding Cripps to that could bring midfield clearance dominance to what is more of a spread and transition plan and lesser forwards will be made to look better - it keeps the door open.

Meanwhile Freo are desperate for some success, absolutely desperate for it, and our existing players are old too. Hill/Waters are 30, Fyfe is 29, Lobb is almost 28, Hamling/Taberner are 27, Mundy is 234. Key structural players are at their peak and not getting younger, so I think the management at Freo will choose to strike while the chance is there to add an elite player.
I'd be surprised if either team offered him $7 million over seven years. For a player who'd be 27 by the time he played a game for them.

I see more logic for Fremantle. Too rich for WC.

Even then, if that's what the WA clubs offered, why wouldn't Carlton match it? If it's feasible for the WA sides, why not for Carlton?

I'd be surprised if either team offered him $7 million over seven years. For a player who'd be 27 by the time he played a game for them.

I agree. Fremantle dropped $500,000 off their books for 2021 with Hogan going, if that's being rolled into 2022 for a 105% salary cap spend then it could be quite a nice chunk of front loading.

I actually expect the money would be used as a front loading signing bonus for the likes of Brayshaw and Cerra.

Even then, if that's what the WA clubs offered, why wouldn't Carlton match it? If it's feasible for the WA sides, why not for Carlton?

Yeah.

As much of a gun he is Blues would be mad to keep him if he was offered that much by a rival club. They spent a lot of their cap on Saad and Williams not sure they will be able to match that price.

Yeah.

As much of a gun he is Blues would be mad to keep him if he was offered that much by a rival club. They spent a lot of their cap on Saad and Williams not sure they will be able to match that price.
On the other hand, he's worth as much to Carlton as to any other team. And they would have the space to pay him.

Yeah.

Surely you don't really think we've priced ourselves out of putting a good offer in front of our co-captain and best player.

I can see the Dockers more so making a serious play for him if he hasn't accepted anything from the Blues.

Their list could take a hit with the cost of draft picks that will be asked.

Shame he's not 2 years younger.

Yeah.

He first has to accept the offer. He wants to captain a premiership and while its debatable whether or not he can achieve that at Carlton would Fremantle or West Coast be willing to offer him their captaincy in addition to a lucrative contract?

He first has to accept the offer. He wants to captain a premiership and while its debatable whether or not he can achieve that at Carlton would Fremantle or West Coast be willing to offer him their captaincy in addition to a lucrative contract?
It's extremely rare that a player comes to a new club and immediately steps into the captaincy. Judd's the only one that springs to mind.

I don't think being captain would be the main factor for his decision to move, if he even does move. One reason perhaps.

I agree. Fremantle dropped $500,000 off their books for 2021 with Hogan going, if that's being rolled into 2022 for a 105% salary cap spend then it could be quite a nice chunk of front loading.

I actually expect the money would be used as a front loading signing bonus for the likes of Brayshaw and Cerra.

The Hogan money went to Mundy, who was without a contract. Before Hogan left Fremantle's salary cap position was actually not great.

At Carlton he would be getting majority of the additional services agreement (ASA) money, which is money each club can pay from a third party for marketing purposes that sits outside the cap (currently about 1 million per club).

At West Coast, that money would be split between NicNat, Kelly and Cripps, with Naitanui getting the lion's share.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on the $$$ the blues have ponied up to lesser players recently, he would command at least $1m a season at the club. I can see him signing a 6-7 year contract at around this amount to see out his career as a Blue. There would be no reason why this isn’t completed over the off season.

Based on the $$$ the blues have ponied up to lesser players recently, he would command at least $1m a season at the club. I can see him signing a 6-7 year contract at around this amount to see out his career as a Blue. There would be no reason why this isn’t completed over the off season.

If carlton had a poor season cripps may choose to go elsewhere?

If carlton had a poor season cripps may choose to go elsewhere?
It’s possible but I don’t hear that sort of talk from him. Cripps leaving would devastate the club and their fan base. Management won’t let that happen.

I would expect an announcement before the end of pre season.

It’s possible but I don’t hear that sort of talk from him. Cripps leaving would devastate the club and their fan base. Management won’t let that happen.

Cripps currently has a win loss record of 26%. He is about to turn 26, and has never played a final.

Alot depends on how Carlton's season goes.

There is quite a bit of Tom Lynch to Cripps' decision, although I do believe that Carlton are in a better position now than Gold Coast were at the end of 2018.

For the same reason that Carlton or any team wouldn't match a deal that pays a player a million dollars or more a year into their mid thirties, because they weren't sure he would be able to play in those later years and that his form in those years if he could would be worth that financial commitment.

I think if a club offered seven years that would be too much. Six years is probably too much too.

The issue isn't the term of money being found, it's whether a club wants to commit that much to a player who would be 33 in their last year of the deal. Not every player is David Mundy.

I mean Geelong contracted Dangerfield til 2024 and he is already 30 so clubs do rarely offer those deals to elite players..but i agree generally clubs dont like to give long term deals to players past 30..but some will if they are elite enough.

B & F is on Feb 6. Logical time to announce a re-signing if it happens early.

Cripps currently has a win loss record of 26%. He is about to turn 26, and has never played a final.

Alot depends on how Carlton's season goes.

There is quite a bit of Tom Lynch to Cripps' decision, although I do believe that Carlton are in a better position now than Gold Coast were at the end of 2018.
There’s no similarities between Lynch and Cripps. Lynch was gone a year out - and his awkward interview at the time suggests he had already decided to move. All the communication from Cripps has been positive toward staying at the Blues. Carlton will make him an offer he can’t refuse. They simply cannot afford him to leave, and I don’t think he will.

It takes two to tango & Carltons door is open.

It’s possible but I don’t hear that sort of talk from him.
As opposed to all the other players who talk openly about leaving before they go?

There’s no similarities between Lynch and Cripps. Lynch was gone a year out - and his awkward interview at the time suggests he had already decided to move. All the communication from Cripps has been positive toward staying at the Blues.
If Cripps was going to leave, what do you imagine he'd be saying that would give it away in advance?

There’s no similarities between Lynch and Cripps. Lynch was gone a year out - and his awkward interview at the time suggests he had already decided to move. All the communication from Cripps has been positive toward staying at the Blues. Carlton will make him an offer he can’t refuse. They simply cannot afford him to leave, and I don’t think he will.

The biggest rfa of that year, and a star of the comp who has admirably dedicated himself to a struggling team, including being captains having never played a final in his career, linked to a potential move home, and potentially to a team that recently won a flag.

No similarities whatsoever.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The biggest rfa of that year, and a star of the comp who has admirably dedicated himself to a struggling team, including being captains having never played a final in his career, linked to a potential move home, and potentially to a team that recently won a flag.

No similarities whatsoever.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tom Lynch played for the 17th best team with the lowest league-wide membership numbers, whereas Cripps is captaining a big Melbourne club who could feasibly be playing finals by the time his contract expires.

Break anything down and you'll find a couple of tenuous links, but Tom Lynch's decision was a very simple one (plus he was returning to his home city, Cripps isn't going back to live in Northhampton) - Cripps' isn't as straight forward.

As opposed to all the other players who talk openly about leaving before they go?

If Cripps was going to leave, what do you imagine he'd be saying that would give it away in advance?
He’d give a Tom Lynch style interview a year before his contract is up.
He won’t leave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back