PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheaped out and bought a Heymix dual monitor mount, wasn’t strong enough to keep my 32” from sagging.

Anyone had experience with North Bayou arms?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

My 6900XT lasts between 20-60 minutes in bf 2042 before shitting themselves and crashing.

Insanity.
That's really shitty.

No issues for mine with Forza Horizon 5 Doom Eternal so far.

Have put a mild overclock on as was having a few frame drops in Forza and the OC fixed it.

Maybe try full driver uninstall with DDU and reinstall current drivers.

That's really shitty.

No issues for mine with Forza Horizon 5 Doom Eternal so far.

Have put a mild overclock on as was having a few frame drops in Forza and the OC fixed it.

Maybe try full driver uninstall with DDU and reinstall current drivers.

I honestly suspect it's probably the drivers....

Got bored and couldn't sleep in the middle of the night looking at GPU's and saw prices of the 30 series cards. 3090 naturally no way, 3080/ti between 1800-2200. Are they reasonably future proof? Current rig I've had for almost 3 1/2 years and would like next one to hold onto for a couple more.

No new series expected in 2022?

Then looked at coolers and ways always set on getting a AIO for the next build but they usually last only 3-5? Next build will likely go to the missus as my current one will.

Got bored and couldn't sleep in the middle of the night looking at GPU's and saw prices of the 30 series cards. 3090 naturally no way, 3080/ti between 1800-2200. Are they reasonably future proof? Current rig I've had for almost 3 1/2 years and would like next one to hold onto for a couple more.

Then looked at coolers and ways always set on getting a AIO for the next build but they usually last only 3-5? Next build will likely go to the missus as my current one will.

The usual "leakers" have new Nvidia cards for Q3 2022 still. Availability will likely be similar to now though I guess. If you can get a 3080 for around the $1800 mark that's not too far off the real world prices we were paying for them at launch. Sure, some like the TUF were closer to $1300-1400, but everything like the Strix, FT3, my iGame Vulcan etc were in the $1600-1800 range. They're likely never going to be closer to their MSRP. Future proof wise they'll last as long as any other top end card. I just gave my 1080ti/8700k build to my bro in law. He has hooked it up to his 4k TV and it's going strong.

3-5 years sounds about right for an AIO depending on how hot they run because the liquid eventually evaporates. The Corsair H100i I had on my 8700k only lasted about 2 years but I think the pump failed. From an enthusiast point of view I don't mind replacing a cooler of that nature every 2 or 3 years, kind of think of it like a car service. Though if you don't want to spend any more money on it and just want something that lasts then air is obviously the way to go. Cooling wise the best air tower coolers are on par with AIO coolers anyway. Less setting up too if you just want to plug everything in and forget about it.

For new toys in 2022 I'm looking at monitors. Been so close to grabbing the G9 a few times as it's everywhere for $1999. But I really want keep 2 monitors. Still can't find anything worth while upgrading the X34P too. I'd love for there to be some decent 43" 4K monitors next year that aren't BGR but unless some exciting stuff appears at CES then so far it looks like 2022 is just going to be another year of refreshes of the same tired old IPS and VA panels we've been seeing for the last few years. LG were meant to announce a 43" OLED gaming monitor line this year, then it was pushed to next year but now it looks like they're only running with their professional 43" OLED lines again for next year.

This is discord group is very handy for keeping an eye on price and stock for GPUs.

Also don't discount the AMD 6800XT and 6900XT cards.

They are definitely on par with the high End Nvidia 30 series cards and usually a bit cheaper. But if ray tracing and DLSS are important to you then stick with Nvidia.

I picked up a 6900XT for $1999 a couple of months ago on sale (back up to $2399 for my model now).

Edit: Very few 3080s available for sub $2K.

In that class of GPU its hard to go past this at the moment

Should give exceptional 1440p performance and reasonable 4K.

Last edited:
The usual "leakers" have new Nvidia cards for Q3 2022 still. Availability will likely be similar to now though I guess. If you can get a 3080 for around the $1800 mark that's not too far off the real world prices we were paying for them at launch. Sure, some like the TUF were closer to $1300-1400, but everything like the Strix, FT3, my iGame Vulcan etc were in the $1600-1800 range. They're likely never going to be closer to their MSRP. Future proof wise they'll last as long as any other top end card. I just gave my 1080ti/8700k build to my bro in law. He has hooked it up to his 4k TV and it's going strong.

3-5 years sounds about right for an AIO depending on how hot they run because the liquid eventually evaporates. The Corsair H100i I had on my 8700k only lasted about 2 years but I think the pump failed. From an enthusiast point of view I don't mind replacing a cooler of that nature every 2 or 3 years, kind of think of it like a car service. Though if you don't want to spend any more money on it and just want something that lasts then air is obviously the way to go. Cooling wise the best air tower coolers are on par with AIO coolers anyway. Less setting up too if you just want to plug everything in and forget about it.

For new toys in 2022 I'm looking at monitors. Been so close to grabbing the G9 a few times as it's everywhere for $1999. But I really want keep 2 monitors. Still can't find anything worth while upgrading the X34P too. I'd love for there to be some decent 43" 4K monitors next year that aren't BGR but unless some exciting stuff appears at CES then so far it looks like 2022 is just going to be another year of refreshes of the same tired old IPS and VA panels we've been seeing for the last few years. LG were meant to announce a 43" OLED gaming monitor line this year, then it was pushed to next year but now it looks like they're only running with their professional 43" OLED lines again for next year.

Haha yep, keep thinking of ya when I see the G9 on Ozbargain too. Really keen on it but like you love the two monitor setup. You have one in portrait mode too yeah?

Is AIO safe in terms of leakage? And further to that replacement easy when it's time? You're right about that when it comes to treating it like a car service.

Really keen to get a Kraken.

This is discord group is very handy for keeping an eye on price and stock for GPUs.

Also don't discount the AMD 6800XT and 6900XT cards.

They are definitely on par with the high End Nvidia 30 series cards and usually a bit cheaper. But if ray tracing and DLSS are important to you then stick with Nvidia.

I picked up a 6900XT for $1999 a couple of months ago on sale (back up to $2399 for my model now).

Edit: Very few 3080s available for sub $2K.

In that class of GPU its hard to go past this at the moment

Should give exceptional 1440p performance and reasonable 4K.

Thanks for the links mate. Yeah def keen to get ray tracing and DLSS, hence sticking with NVIDIA.

To be honest my 1080 is doing fine, but I'm keen to get something thats pushing the limits graphic wise. I also miss the excitement of getting parts and then building too haha.

Haha yep, keep thinking of ya when I see the G9 on Ozbargain too. Really keen on it but like you love the two monitor setup. You have one in portrait mode too yeah?

Is AIO safe in terms of leakage? And further to that replacement easy when it's time? You're right about that when it comes to treating it like a car service.

Really keen to get a Kraken.

Thanks for the links mate. Yeah def keen to get ray tracing and DLSS, hence sticking with NVIDIA.

To be honest my 1080 is doing fine, but I'm keen to get something thats pushing the limits graphic wise. I also miss the excitement of getting parts and then building too haha.

I've switched my portrait monitor back to landscape, but had to hide the tower ☹️. Hopefully buying a new place next year so will redo my setup then. I do really prefer the dual monitor setup over a single. Easy to keep track of things like Discord when playing. Sometimes I like to chuck up some Foxtel or something on the other one too.

AIOs are safe from leaking. If you google it you will definitely find stories of the odd leak, but easiest way is to check the contents of the packaging when you take it out as well as give it a bit of a fiddle and check the fittings before installing.

PC started randomly crashing, ran memtest, errors everywhere

Sad panda

At least it was an excuse to `upgrade` to `slower` 3600mhz RAM :)
Oh dear.

What CPU/mobo/RAM combo?

Has anyone played Old World? Thinking of grabbing it in the Epic sale, before doing my GOTY rankings.

Has anyone played Old World? Thinking of grabbing it in the Epic sale, before doing my GOTY rankings.

There was a mass exodus from WoW to Old World. The common opinion was OW did everything better except it had no end game.

I didn't follow though. I fired up Destiny again lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said similar questions before (sorry) but will hooking up a 3080ti to an OLED TV on a semi regular basis be worth it? Just going through all the 3070/3080/3080ti discussions.

Said similar questions before (sorry) but will hooking up a 3080ti to an OLED TV on a semi regular basis be worth it? Just going through all the 3070/3080/3080ti discussions.

That would be awesome. Wouldn't go less than a 3080 for vram reasons but high settings and HDR from the OLED would be a great experience. After playing PS5/Series X on the LG C1 sometimes jumping back on the PC games just look dull without HDR. That's why I'm going to be very particular about my next monitor.

Didn't realise how many of you guys were at the high end. I just brought parts for a new PC but only going for 3060ti.

Nothing wrong with a 3060ti. Most of us go overkill for wank factor. Earlier this year I bought a TUF laptop just for stuffing around on, it's only got a 1660ti and still manages to push the 144hz screen with decent settings at 1080p. Given the prices at the moment I'd argue that 3060ti/3070 and the Radeon equivalent would be the sweet spot.

Didn't realise how many of you guys were at the high end. I just brought parts for a new PC but only going for 3060ti.
I spent more than I wanted to but with the prices of 3070Ti/3080/6800xt (what I was planning on getting) being insane when I saw the 6900XT for a similar if not better price ($1999) I jumped.

Nothing wrong with a 3060ti. Most of us go overkill for wank factor. Earlier this year I bought a TUF laptop just for stuffing around on, it's only got a 1660ti and still manages to push the 144hz screen with decent settings at 1080p. Given the prices at the moment I'd argue that 3060ti/3070 and the Radeon equivalent would be the sweet spot.

Yeah definitely. I actually started with the thinking of 3060 but then bumped it to the ti. Pascal generation was really strong so it doesn't surprise that a laptop version of them is still doing very well.

I spent more than I wanted to but with the prices of 3070Ti/3080/6800xt (what I was planning on getting) being insane when I saw the 6900XT for a similar if not better price ($1999) I jumped.

Fair price. I did consider an AMD gpu but I agree with the talk a few pages back about their drivers but im probably just unlucky in the past (granted was like 2011). Hopefully you have no issues there and get some good profile updates and fixes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back