People that hand out how-to-vote cards

Remove this Banner Ad

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
When I went to school many moons ago, we were taught about how government and voting worked. I don't know if that's been re-introduce again because I believe that it disappeared from the school curriculums.
I think it should be compulsory like they consider doing English classes and Maths to a certain level is a basic requirement.
I have always thought PACER is a good programme, although I find the requirement to visit the War Memorial a bit unnecessary.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Does it serve democracy to have volunteers canvassing for votes outside polling booths? Could it be done away with?

Ideally there is no need for them but we do not live in ideal world. Hardly democratic if you done away with it and made it illegal. Such a waste of paper though.

Chameleon75

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Does it serve democracy to have volunteers canvassing for votes outside polling booths? Could it be done away with?

I’ve been one that advocates scrapping htv cards, Kevin Bonham raised an interesting point that I haven’t considered, htv cards are away of managing the informal vote among those with low literacy

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
It's all good. I'm volunteering, the AJP wanted volunteers to hand out HTV cards and I put my hand up.

I'll be there for probably 6 or 7 hours (my choice, they left it totally up to me).
I was just interested because in my experience a long time ago, those that were handing cards out for the Liberal Party were paid but that was in the North Western Suburbs of Adelaide and that's Labor territory.

Apparently it's still the same but I wondered if in the more evenly balanced areas as well as in the Liberal seats if that was the case.

I hope the weather and the outcome is great.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
I have always thought PACER is a good programme, although I find the requirement to visit the War Memorial a bit unnecessary.
Ah, that's interesting. As a "grown up", the War Memorial blew me right away. It's an incredible sight and I found it really sobering.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Voted the other day, gladly took a card from each of those there, LNP, Labor and Greens. Once inside they all went neatly into the tub they had for recycling them.

They remind me of those middle aged people that wear the sleevless team jumpers at the footy or who are members of the cheer squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently for the electorate I'm working tomorrow roughly 80% of people vote in line with what a HTV card suggests (across all parties)

Apparently for the electorate I'm working tomorrow roughly 80% of people vote in line with what a HTV card suggests (across all parties)

Not surprising - in your meat and potatoes electorate with a LIB, ALP, GRN, UAT/PHON most voters exact vote order could probably be worked out based on who they preference first. The only thing is where any random independents get thrown in

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
How to vote card pushes were not very annoying this morning. Although I got there with candidates more prevalent trying to talk to me in line than how to vote card people. Even they were not annoying. Good day when voting in line ain't a real annoying wait.

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
How to vote card pushes were not very annoying this morning. Although I got there with candidates more prevalent trying to talk to me in line than how to vote card people. Even they were not annoying. Good day when voting in line ain't a real annoying wait.

You lined up with candidates?

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
You lined up with candidates?

No. They were hanging around at line trying to get my interest. Green's candidate, said I can see you already organised so I won't bother you...lol
I actually appreciate not wasting my time. Good bloke even if not getting my vote...lol

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
They are well meaning people so be polite and a quiet ‘good luck’ to your preferred party.

A lot of posters about the environment and who’s the best here in kooyong

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
In Aotearoa we obviously don't have the whole fiasco of volunteers at polling booths telling people how to vote (indeed no party political material of any kind is allowed)...

What we do have is the phenomenon of well-meaning volunteers ringing people randomly asking them if they require a lift to the booth.

R Chee Manning

Marlo Snellman
Apr 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
My neighbour was running one year and asked me to help by handing out for an election day one year.

I was like 15 or something.

It was **** and he didn't even thank me after.

**** that guy.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

15? The least he could have done was given you a James Charles box set or whatever 15yos were into at that time.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When I went to school many moons ago, we were taught about how government and voting worked. I don't know if that's been re-introduce again because I believe that it disappeared from the school curriculums.
We were taught a little as well, a long, long time ago. It got the teacher into a little trouble I believe, as the state government of the day didn't want shenanigans like informed voters growing up.

We were taught a little as well, a long, long time ago. It got the teacher into a little trouble I believe, as the state government of the day didn't want shenanigans like informed voters growing up.
We had a year long civics style subject where we were taught history, mostly white, how the Parliament worked, a bit of legal studies, a bit of political history, it was a good curriculum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back