News Phil Walsh - New AFC Coach and Art Critic

Remove this Banner Ad

Talks a lot of s**t re elite standards. Started with good intentions I believe but has probably been sucked into the vortex of comfort at the crows. Everyone is comfortable again. You're not held accountable for your performance unless you're a 20 year old with 10 games.

Don't think the axe went deep enough. Critical error not loosing Chapman as well. We're soft at every level just like before. "Tone it down, don't work too hard, we're as frustrated as anybody but won't hold underperformers accountable, we hope there will still be flashes of brilliance".

I like Walsh. So what, he said an analogy about Vincent van Gogh, at least he has some depth.

Nothing wrong with dropping an E in Amsterdam and getting tripped out by a bunch of paintings.

He hee. Tell us the full story Walshy! What did you get up to in the red light district that night?

Oh yeah ... he goes to bed by 6pm doesn't he?

Yes but I think he's in danger of falling for the fans' adoration, and is in peril of contracting the "you get what you deserve" syndrome, whereby the orator of such profundity takes on a persona similar to Brian in 'the life of Brian' where no matter what he says, it's perceived as being God-like even in its banality. The most unfortunate symptom is the self belief, having survived prior flurries of grandiloquence, that encourages further fountains of gushing and winsome utterings.

I don't like it.

His performance in the media has barely even the slightest influence on our on-field performance, and it's fun to listen to. Seems like a good outcome to me.

Anyone else hearing little alarm bells when Walsh faces the media these days? Is he trying to give too much, as over-compensation for his admitted uncomfortable relationship with anything media? I mean - Van Gogh? Sunflowers? Masterpieces? Hmmm, just a little too metaphoric for my tastes. And a bit rhymes-with-hanky.

You guys really didn't pay attention to some of his first press conferences did you? In one of them he talked about visiting the Van Gogh museum and what he got out of looking at the paintings even though he says he knows nothing about art. This isn't some new story, it's one he has already talked about last year. The fact that he can talk on a few different levels about different life experiences is what can really help being a successful coach of a large and diverse group of players.

Also some people like art. ;)

You guys really didn't pay attention to some of his first press conferences did you? In one of them he talked about visiting the Van Gogh museum and what he got out of looking at the paintings even though he says he knows nothing about art. This isn't some new story, it's one he has already talked about last year. The fact that he can talk on a few different levels about different life experiences is what can really help being a successful coach of a large and diverse group of players.

Fair dinkum. "Neil Craig is boring", "Sando rolls out the same old cliche's" and then "Phil Walsh talks too much about interesting things". WTF is wrong with this board!

I love it! Phil talks about all sorts, keep it going son!

Honestly, some of you on this board couldn't hold a cultured conversation to save your life.

I love his media work, love his depth and breadth of experience, believe he does have some great ideas re footy and like how he has his own 'brand' of game plan that he's committed to.

But…I've almost lost it with selections! There was no excuse this week to make a statement, even a small one. The team needs to be 'on the edge' re their effort and execution to be a top 4 team. Do you think there is a comfort zone on GF day? Nope, only the best under pressure will be good enough to prevail, yet we continue to select proven failures.

I'll be fascinated to see who comes in for Brad Crouch and Henderson next week, not to mention whether Grigg will find his way back in or whether Lever, Knight, Atkins will get games in a year in which they deserve a crack and badly need a taste of the big time before next year.

If the same plodders get selected ahead of those guys my faith in Walsh will take a major, major hit.

I don't rate Hendo.

He shirks the contest when.the hard ball is.there to get. As poor as VB and.Wright are with their disposal, they never pull out when it is their turn to cop it physically.

Hendo does. I bet Walsh has noticed this as well.

Jenkins had to work on this. I bet Walsh highlighted this to him and he has come back since his sore hip and has improved greatly in this regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't rate Hendo.

He shirks the contest when.the hard ball is.there to get. As poor as VB and.Wright are with their disposal, they never pull out when it is their turn to cop it physically.

Hendo does. I bet Walsh has noticed this as well.

Jenkins had to work on this. I bet Walsh highlighted this to him and he has come back since his sore hip and has improved greatly in this regard.
Yep, I see that Geoff…makes Hendo a polarising figure cos his worst traits are pretty much unacceptable.

How about we compromise and bring in Atkins or Knight instead!!

There is ZERO excuse for continuing to pick VB. Hurts us with the ball and doesn't stop anyone decent either.

Now see, possibly the reason I brought it up is because I'm well educated and well versed in this field (just ask me). The least Walshy could have done is to have referred to the particular painting/s in question by its correct title. The saving grace is that most of the populace is equally as ignorant about such matters and so I guess it matters not. Still, I don't need to be hearing etherial toss from the coach of the footy team I barrack for. Maybe others do?

The van Gogh reference where he said something about cutting off your ear to spite death by a thousand cuts despite unseating the emperor and if he bleeds you can kill him, was Blight/Malthouse/Sheedy/Matthews-esque in its obtuseness.

I liked it.

More weirdness, less Matthew Clarke. That's what I want to see.

Now see, possibly the reason I brought it up is because I'm well educated and well versed in this field (just ask me). The least Walshy could have done is to have referred to the particular painting/s in question by its correct title. The saving grace is that most of the populace is equally as ignorant about such matters and so I guess it matters not. Still, I don't need to be hearing etherial toss from the coach of the footy team I barrack for. Maybe others do?

I don't think anyone needs it, but we might like it because it's different and interesting.

What do you want, "we're taking it one week at a time" or "we'll learn from it", or a Sando "we'll lick our wounds and move on" special? No one likes the same old same old bullshit but some of you don't like the alternative either. The coach is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Also people need to speak to their audience. Probably less than 1% of us needed to know the specific painting so it's junk talk and irrelevant in that context.

You mean the correct title of 'Sunflowers'? He called it Sunflower, so he missed an s on the end. He said he was a bogan from Hamilton, so to not fully remember the title is perfectly fine by me. Also if you want to be nitpicky - ethereal. ;)

http://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/en/collection/s0031V1962

But…I've almost lost it with selections! There was no excuse this week to make a statement, even a small one. The team needs to be 'on the edge' re their effort and execution to be a top 4 team. Do you think there is a comfort zone on GF day? Nope, only the best under pressure will be good enough to prevail, yet we continue to select proven failures.
Can't drop VB or DMac this week. We're playing the injury-riddled 17th ranked team.

It's go time!

I don't think anyone needs it, but we might like it because it's different and interesting.

What do you want, "we're taking it one week at a time" or "we'll learn from it", or a Sando "we'll lick our wounds and move on" special? No one likes the same old same old bullshit but some of you don't like the alternative either. The coach is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Also people need to speak to their audience. Probably less than 1% of us needed to know the specific painting so it's junk talk and irrelevant in that context.

If you say sunflower and Van Gogh in the same sentence, I bet the vast majority can pull up a mental picture of the painting in question. It is a well known painting within popular culture and there is a bit of knowledge around Van Gogh himself in terms of his mental illness battles. In that way I think Walshy understands that we are a visual society nowadays. Words without an image don't get a message across these days as well as words as part of or relating to an image does. Someone who can communicate a message using a variety of methods within one lot of words is a good communicator as they understand their audience all learn differently.

I love how Walshy is well traveled. I won't list on here all the countries I've traveled to or lived in but suffice to they're many. It's certainly changed me as a person and gives me a sense of perspective and tolerance and patience that I didn't have before. I can certainly see the difference between me and the people I work with. The things that come out of their mouth and the way they think is very narrow and small minded. I see at least a bit of Blighty in Walsh.

I'm not sure that he's a genius like Blighty yet. I'll judge him when we get some better cattle. If we can turnover the weakest part of our list and improve our skills then I expect us to finish in the Top 4 every year. If Walsh doesn't do that then I'll be th first to say he needs to be replaced and that he is a mirage. Let's give him some more time.

If you say sunflower and Van Gogh in the same sentence, I bet the vast majority can pull up a mental picture of the painting in question. It is a well known painting within popular culture and there is a bit of knowledge around Van Gogh himself in terms of his mental illness battles. In that way I think Walshy understands that we are a visual society nowadays. Words without an image don't get a message across these days as well as words as part of or relating to an image does. Someone who can communicate a message using a variety of methods within one lot of words is a good communicator as they understand their audience all learn differently.

I liked the metaphor. I bet the journos also liked Walshy giving them a nice headline rather than them having to come up with something out of the usual cliches. I reckon the media are respectful of Walshy and they know he's a very well schooled football coach. The questions they ask him are a hell of a lot better than the crap they asked Sando last year. I'm surprised they had it in them. I reckon they love Walshy and he's got them eating out of the palm of his hand. Smart move by Phil.

Anyone who doesn't think Phil's relationship with the media isn't a good one makes me scratch my head.

still-life-vase-with-fifteen-sunflowers-1888.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back