Preview Pick your team for R1, 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at that game. We didn't go toe to toe with the Giants and match them, they just didn't play for the first three quarters, for whatever reason; they milled about with no game plan and didn't bother running. When they finally started actually playing in the last quarter, they ran right over the top of us and nearly pinched the game. I've no doubt that if we ran into them in the second half of the season, or the finals, that three quarter head start would not have been repeated.

we contribute to the Giants getting closer in the last by kicking 1.4 and stuffing up about 3 or 4 good opportunities to score.
I have no doubt that if our midfield turn up against the Western Bulldogs and we got our inside 50 count over 50 we would have won the game but that would be ignoring the fact the Bulldogs played better football just like we did against the Giants

Don't think he will make it but it wouldn't totally surprise either

I doubt him or Menzel will be regular footballers for AFC in long term

The others are better bets
Really depends on whether the rumours Menzel is struggling are true, for mine

Think Hampton will struggle to make it myself, Gallucci's just jumped him in the queue too

7th ranked player on our list, so that's comparing him to our whole playing group, not just the midfield.

There's no doubt our midfield needs strengthing but that won't come at the expense of either Crouch boys, as much as you will hate it.

In the absence of new A grade players arriving by trade, the entire midfield group needs to lift 2 or 3 rungs each, and the younger Crouch doesn't have any more rungs on his ladder.

Brad has about 6 more rungs, but that requires him to pull his head out of his arse, and stay fit, so we'll see if that can happen.

Really depends on whether the rumours Menzel is struggling are true, for mine

Think Hampton will struggle to make it myself, Gallucci's just jumped him in the queue too

IMO the Menzel rumor is a carry over from last season, we are yet to get any real information on how he has fronted this pre-season

In the absence of new A grade players arriving by trade, the entire midfield group needs to lift 2 or 3 rungs each, and the younger Crouch doesn't have any more rungs on his ladder.

Brad has about 6 more rungs, but that requires him to pull his head out of his arse, and stay fit, so we'll see if that can happen.

I expect Matt Crouch to become an A-grade inside mid and be regarded in much the same way Kennedy/Neale/Priddas/Scott Thompson is/were. He isn't quite at that level but has risen to the occasion several times, playing absolutely elite games. The 2nd showdown,2nd NM game and the St Kilda game come to mind. Both Crouch's can improve their game. Them and some of our recruits should be able to pull our midfield up a rung or two in the next 2 seasons.

What a load of bullshit. Matty Crouch had a sensational year for a full time inside mid in his third season.

Brad was below his best after missing 2 years of footy but showed glimpses of is sublime skills. Brad and Matt have now played 88 games between them.

I will keep a comparative score for every time you talk down the Crouches compared to every time 1970Guns complains about Thommo.The score is currently 1-1. (At least Bicks balances things a bit by adding 2 pro-crouch posts for every anti-Crouch post from you) ;).

Still with the obsession. Thommo.

I expect Matt Crouch to become an A-grade inside mid and be regarded in much the same way Kennedy/Neale/Priddas/Scott Thompson is/were. He isn't quite at that level but has risen to the occasion several times, playing absolutely elite games. The 2nd showdown,2nd NM game and the St Kilda game come to mind. Both Crouch's can improve their game. Them and some of our recruits should be able to pull our midfield up a rung or two in the next 2 seasons.
I probably expect him to reach a Priddis level - which you'd take from a pick 23 any day of the week

FB: Brown - Talia - Lever
HB: Smith - Hartigan - Laird
C: Atkins - Sloane - Seedsman
HF: Lynch - Walker - Cameron
FF: Betts - Jenkins - McGovern
FOLL: Jacobs - Crouch, B. - Crouch, M.
INT: Doedee - Knight - Milera - Ellis-Yolmen

Changes versus Sydney semi-final:
  • Ellis-Yolmen for Thompson
  • Knight for Lyons
  • Milera for Douglas
  • Seedsman for Mackay
  • Doedee for Cheney
Don't think we'd lose much in the short term from those changes (but certainly not a massive jump either) and it should make us younger, quicker and hopefully with more scope for improvement in the medium term. But is that enough to do anything meaningful...

We need strong natural improvement out of Lever, Atkins, Cameron, McGovern and the Crouchs...plus a return to top form from Walker, Smith, Brown and Jacobs...plus no drop off from the core group but especially Betts, Jenkins, Talia and Sloane.

My thoughts on how Id like to see us line up at present:
B: Laird - Talia - Cheney
HB: Smith - Hartigan - Lever
C: Seedsman - M.Crouch - Atkins
HF: Lynch - Walker - Cameron
F: Betts - Jenkins - McGovern
1R: Jacobs - Sloane - B. Crouch
I: Brown - Milera - Greenwood - Gallucci

Reserves:
B: Doedee - Keath - Kelly
HB: Wigg - Otten - Hampton
C: Mackay - Thompson - Knight
HF: Menzel - Dear - Davis
F: Jarman - Himmelberg - Beech
1R: O'Brien - Douglas - CEY
I(From): Hunter - Gore - Poholke - Signorello

Changes from 2016 SF:
Out: Thompson, Mackay, Douglas and Lyons
In: Milera, Seedsman, Gallucci and Greenwood

Probably has us running light on in terms of seasoned midfielders, but I think we'll see Greenwood really step up as a big bodied inside mid, I think Cameron will start to see some serious midfield time, Atkins will take another step up and we should see the Crouches continue to develop. I also think we'll be looking to go with more skillful, outside running outfit.

I probably expect him to reach a Priddis level - which you'd take from a pick 23 any day of the week

Yeah absolutely, he's the next Priddis/Thommo inside accumulator, who just backs up 30+ disposal games week after week and can be relied upon to do the heavy lifting every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do kind of disagree, Matt Crouch has improvement left in him in terms of output, however it will come from upping his game time.

This is a kid that is pulling elite numbers on the inside on 70% game time, which only increase once he learns how to play 80-85% of it which ideally should be this season. Similar to Sloane last where the improvement came from filling the Dangerfield void more so than it being a "natural" thing.

He is what he is though, so i do get the argument that he doesn't have any improvement in him as the flaws he has now will most likely be the flaws he has a player throughout his career.

No, we can't all agree. Our midfield was brutalised repeatedly across the season, not only by the premiers, but by ordinary overall teams outside the top 8 like Port Adelaide, anyone suggesting it's a better ranked one in the AFL hasn't paid any attention, at all, which is why the trade period was such an undeniable disaster.

If certain players don't all simultaneously make huge strides, many of which are speculative at best based on displayed form, we're going nowhere. Again.

Brad only showed something when downhill skiing against the bottom 3 sides when he needed a new contract. The rest of the season he was a disgrace, and it's as clear a demonstration as there has ever been that Brad has an attitude problem.

Matt did a job, and that's all. He'll keep doing what he's doing, but there's no further scope for improvement, he simply doesn't have the talent. The proof of that was in the coaches votes.

I'm unfortunately having to agree somewhat. I think Matt can probably do as well a Thomson ultimately, not very damaging but a worker in the trenches. Brad really needs to turn it on this year or he will be a bust. I do remember him tackling quite ferociously but very little damage attack wise. This year no more excuses.

IMO Matt Crouch still has plenty of development in him

Yes his inside game is very good however last year we started to see him use the ball a bit more by foot and hit hit the scoreboard

I'm expecting Matt to continue to improve the balance in his game by improving his spread and increase his ball use by foot

Latest effort
Betts Jj McGovern
Lynch Tex Cameron
Knight Sloane Atkins
Lever Talia Seeds
Brown Hartigan Laird
Jacobs
B Crouch
M Crouch

Intre- CEY, Menzel, Smith, McGovern

Jarman Hunter Davis
Greenwood Dear WIgg
Beech Poholke Douglas
Gallucci Himmelberg Mackay
Doedee Otten Hampton

O'Brien
Signorello
Thompson (c)

Inter - Cheney, Gore, Keath, Kelly

The guy is a competitive beast.

Just needs some polish.
D-Mac goes in hard for the ball too, just doesn't have the frame for it.

Does Greenwood? Seems athletically gifted, moves well. Will he be able to stand up in a tackle for instance?

D-Mac goes in hard for the ball too, just doesn't have the frame for it.

Does Greenwood? Seems athletically gifted, moves well. Will he be able to stand up in a tackle for instance?
Another pre season of weights - I say yes

He already has appetite for tackling ... Different to other basketballers on that he grew up playing footy

He's not overly quick but hopefully can develop the smarts and have that composure in traffic that basketballers tend to have

What do people think of his kicking ?

Another pre season of weights - I say yes

He already has appetite for tackling ... Different to other basketballers on that he grew up playing footy

He's not overly quick but hopefully can develop the smarts and have that composure in traffic that basketballers tend to have

What do people think of his kicking ?

Wasn't he the most fouled out basketballer in American college history ?? I seem to remember this at the time of us signing him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back