Competitions Pieman 2013 Feedback

Remove this Banner Ad

A quick thank you once again to all those who took part in The Pieman 2013 competition.

I'm happy to run it again in 2014 if you're game. I was happy with the two main changes this year (trade period and the banker) but I would appreciate feedback (including criticisms) or ideas for improvement on any of the following, or on the comp as a whole:

Banker - It may be a pain to remember to change it each week if your player gets dropped but the Banker meant that no lead was too big to cut down if you doubled up on the right player. I think this kept it interesting until the end of the year. At no stage was the result a foregone conclusion. In fact it came down to one kick. One possible change would be to automatically give you your lowest handicapped player as banker if last week's banker is dropped/injured and you forget to make a change. That way you won't miss out if you're up at Falls Creek drinking Merlot with the Melbourne supporters.

Trade Period - This also seemed to work, as it kept everyone in the comp for longer (gave them a chance to offload duds etc). It does however make the admin pretty complex, especially as handicaps vary each time. My early thoughts are to have 2 two-week trade periods next year, corresponding with our two byes (one approx round 11 and the other approx round 18). However I would make no provision for LTIs. You would just have to wait until the next trade period.

Prizes - Is having a Kelvin, a Pieman and a Collins too much? Does it take the focus off the main comp (the Pieman)? Maybe drop the Collins? The Kelvin is probably worth keeping as it gives you bragging rights from week to week even if you are way down the main leaderboard (ask timtamWB!)

Results and Info - Anything more (or less) that you want reported each week? Would it be a big help to see each week who is in your team (and in other teams) in case you forget who you chose? Also, some people seem to have trouble seeing the leaderboard (which is posted as a spreadsheet via Google Docs). Hands up if you were not able to see the leaderboard at all this year - I'd like a headcount. At this stage I have no idea what the alternative is but I might think of something.

Duplicates - with the advent of trading and bankers I see no reason to worry about any two teams being identical so I will probably scrap that rule.

Any other ideas welcome. Naturally it will depend on how easy it is to program and administer it.

Prizes - Is having a Kelvin, a Pieman and a Collins too much? Does it take the focus off the main comp (the Pieman)? Maybe drop the Collins?

Duplicates - with the advent of trading and bankers I see no reason to worry about any two teams being identical so I will probably scrap that rule.

Any other ideas welcome. Naturally it will depend on how easy it is to program and administer it.

:eek: No, 3 categories are not too many and all adds to the fun for mine, people can take what they want from it. [As long as you're happy to keep doing that.] Probably agree about duplicate teams.

I'll throw a couple of ideas out there, don't know how feasible some are but to think about;
  • Joker card maybe one for year where entire team gets double points
  • A Vice Banker in case banker is not set or late out
  • Half points for Footscray (VFL) goals by players in team
  • A Sub 6th player that only counts for an injured player
  • The pie draft with 44 entrants taking draft turns to select team and each player can be selected a maximum of 5 times so every player on list is selected 5 times each

I think that there should be a max of only 2 duplicate teams allowed, if duplicates are allowed at all. I also like StringyDog idea of there being a joker card, and a sub player.

I'll throw a couple of ideas out there, don't know how feasible some are but to think about;
  • The pie draft with 44 entrants taking draft turns to select team and each player can be selected a maximum of 5 times so every player on list is selected 5 times each
Thanks SD. Some good ideas there. I'll throw it into the mix for next year. No guarantees though.​
As you say it has to be feasible / practicable. I want to be able to automate it as much as possible because the more manual tasks I have to do each week means (a) more time spent on it and (b) greater chance of introducing keying or transposition error.​
Off the top of my head the ones that seem more feasible are:​
  • Joker​
  • Vice banker​
  • Sub 6th player (maybe)​

I like this idea. With an end of first round priority pick for anyone who scored less than 500 this year:) ( gogriff may be the subject of a tanking inquiry tho)

Have a 6 or 7 player team, in which you have to pick 5 on match day - and it carries over from the previous week. Also makes teams more inventive.

Also maybe a quota of players below or above a certain handicap?

I like this idea. With an end of first round priority pick for anyone who scored less than 500 this year:) ( gogriff may be the subject of a tanking inquiry tho)

I don't even know the rules, let alone how to break them :D

Was gonna say have a banker at twice their scoreand and a vice at 1.5 times theirs, but stringy dog beat me to it...I beat him in pieman though.... :p
Don't think you need a sub though, if your banker is out, your vice becomes your banker and its bad luck that you miss out on the extra points.
I love the idea of the draft, but it would have to be done very early to set up the comp for automation. I would like to think that there would be 5 rounds and each player can only be picked once each round, with the reigning pieman getting first pick in round 1 as a reward for the previous year, then run the following rounds as would be the case for the real draft. Pieman winner last.
Joker rounds sound good, as with 2 trade periods.
Reckon you should award a wooden spoon logo as well for last place.

If I think of anything else, I will let you know

I'm intrigued by the idea of a draft but it would radically change the nature of the Pieman comp.

So (off the top of the head) what do people think of running two Pieman comps as follows?

1. The main one - pretty much as for 2013 (with some minor tweaks)

2. A simpler secondary comp where you get say 4 drafted players (and therefore 4 rounds of drafting) - no bankers, no trade periods, no subs, just the pre-season handicaps. Injuries, suspensions and retirements are just bad luck. First 44 to enter are in, then the round 1 draft order is determined randomly (by me). Draft order for Rd 2 is reverse of Round 1. Draft order for Round 3 is again done randomly and Round 4 is the reverse of Round 3. The only hard thing would be running the 4 rounds of drafting (176 picks) in an orderly and prompt fashion, but after that it would be "set and forget". I'd just report on the scores each week. (I'd probably convene a draft board about 1-2 weeks before the season starts and allow a couple of days to complete each round.)

It's just a thought and I'm not convinced it's a good idea yet. Would it be overkill?

Maybe we could get the mods to sticky one Pieman mega-thread for the whole year so there weren't new Pieman threads popping up each week and crowding out the real stuff.

Errm yes........ what was after 'Now listen carefully'?

shoe-phone-239x300.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back