Player Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a bad effort.
Disagree with danger at four though.
That said at this stage of your posting career I have you at a Brian Lee level rather than Mark Callaway.

Danger is second at least. It's not even an argument how critically you've underated him. 43 goals playing 65% middle. I lost interest at 2!!!!

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Danger is second at least. It's not even an argument how critically you've underated him. 43 goals playing 65% middle. I lost interest at 2!!!!

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

I'd rather have Rance or Franklin over Dangerfield. Can see the opposing view too. He's not underrated at no.4, that's ridiculous.

I really like some of the ratings, but a few left me scratching my head. Will admit that all the criticism aside, is a bloody hard job to do. Some of my thoughts:

- Danger should be no. 2. Him and Dusty are streets ahead of anyone else.
- Selwood at 46 - I know opposition fans don't like him but that's just ridiculous. His stats stack up with any midfielder bar Dusty and Danger. Fair enough to drop his ranking a bit because he missed a few games, and played injured in others, but not on the basis of the games in which he did play (hint: they were very good)
- Cotchin a bit too low at 28. Should be just inside the top 20.
- Beams too low.
- Parker had an average season by his standards. Would be lucky to scrape into the 50.
- I'd probably bump up Toby Greene even higher. I know he is a pest, and I know he missed games through suspension, but you could mount an argument that he is GWS' best player, or at the least, their most damaging.
- Taylor Walker too high. GF or no GF, he is an overrated player if he gets no. 24.
- There aren't 9 places between Buddy and Kennedy (West Coast). Buddy is ranked too high, Kennedy probably about right.

Shouldn't have made it:
- Gaff: very vanilla player. No hurt factor.
- Astbury: maybe, get that he is a good player, but plenty of teams have great role players. Doesn't mean that they should be in the top 50, regardless of whether they are premiers or not.

Should/could have made it:
- Yeo
- Wingard? Don't know how many games did he play? Rate him highly.
- Gibbs: top tier mid
- Shuey maybe, a bit up and down but still a very good player in an average midfield
- For Freo: maybe Neale. Don't think Fyfe back to his best just yet.
- Happy with Howe's selection. Don't know if I would put him that high. On that point, and in comparison with Astbury, both Dylan Roberton and Zac Tuohy would consider themselves a bit unlucky to miss out. Both were in AA contention for that final half-back flank spot with Howe/Yeo etc. and both recorded career best seasons.

I'd rather have Rance or Franklin over Dangerfield. Can see the opposing view too. He's not underrated at no.4, that's ridiculous.

Danger played forward better than Franklin did this year. Franklin way overrated. He kicked 69 goals for the Coleman, hardly ground-breaking stuff. Kennedy would have won his 3rd straight if uninjured.

Starting with the top midfielders, here is what I have come up with.

This is purely based on how good the players are right now considered fit.

Players who have spent more time forward or back have been left out.
(Have probably missed a few too)

Feel free to debate/rip my ratings.

A+
Dangerfield
Martin

A
Fyfe
Sloane
Pendlebury
Selwood
Kennedy

A-
Ablett
Kelly
Bontempelli

B+
Gibbs
Zorko
Beams
Cotchin
Murphy
Treloar
Shiel
Merrett
Mitchell
Parker
Hannebery
Shuey

B
M. Crouch
Neale
Coniglio
Adams
Ward
Wines
Steven
Ross

B-
P. Cripps
N. Jones
Duncan
Viney
Ebert
MaCrae
Sidebottom

C+
B. Crouch
Oliver
Gaff
Heppell
Scully
Ziebell
Dahlhaus
Prestia
Menegola
Rockliff
Zaharakis
B. Hill
A. Hall
Whitfield
I. Smith
Tyson
Lewis
Cunnington
Higgins
Boak

...this really hurt to write as an Eagles fan!

why have you got Mitch Duncan so low, based on numbers he's basically had a better season then nearly all of your B+ midfielders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All of those C+ are atleast B graders.

What would you grade guys like Dom Sheed ? a D grade...

C+ for Oliver....righto!

He averaged 30 disposals, 7 tackles and 7 clearances.

I give you an F+. Back to school son.

Last edited:
Let's be real none of those C+ rated players should be that low. Some of those guys are polling double digit votes in Brownlow which makes them at least a B+ for me.
This includes Heppel, Oliver, Gaff, Cunnington, Zaharakis, Rockliff, Issac Smith etc are all Elite players in their own right.

Based on this year, the following should go up a category:

T Mitchell, Oliver, M Crouch, Duncan.

And all the C+ players should move up to B-.

I don't think they're that great either. Franklin 7th? There is no chance Treloar is the 9th best player in the AFL. Goldstein at 21 is laughable, and here are some names that missed the top 20 altogether:
Rance, Betts, M Crouch, Ward, T Mitchell,
These guys missed top 30:
J Kennedy (WC), J McGovern, J Kelly,
missed Top 40: Ablett,
missed top 50: Fyfe, Hannebury, S Jacobs, Daniher, Laird, Docherty

I could go on, but I think the point is made. If you can find me 77 better players than Rory Laird who is ranked 78, you are doing it wrong, and that ratings system is a joke.

The AFL Player Rankings are whack - even I a Collingwood supporter wouldn't have Treloar in the top 25 at least. It also severely handicaps injured players - Ablett is the 3rd best player in the AFL but he's in the 40's or 50's or something. No way are Steven, Burgoyne and Neale top 20 players in the comp either, at least in my view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back