Player Review vs Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

lenny20

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
These two teams shouldn't be allowed to play football against each other. Whatever it is, the matchup just causes embarrassing, embarrassing, embarrassing football. Error-riddled, low-skilled nonsense that's actually no longer enjoyable to watch - and I say that as somebody whose passion for football is only surpassed by a few other things in my life.

The death-of-a-thousand-cuts gameplan of butchering endless forward 50 entries must be the most frustrating thing to witness as a fan. Were we 2 goals, 11 behinds at one stage? It was just incredible. Realistically, the game should have been over by half time. It definitely should have been over when Mayne lined up from 20 metres to put us 4 goals up... and missed. At the end of the day, if you keep a team in the contest long enough, you're inviting them to win it, no matter how ordinary they are. We invited Richmond to win this game, and by the end had opened the door so wide that we made Shaun Grigg look like a superstar. That's some achievement right there.

Anyhow, onto the players.

THE BEST FIVE

1st. Brodie Grundy
2nd. Will Hoskin Elliott
3rd. Adam Treloar
4th. Taylor Adams
5th. Scott Pendlebury
Special mentions: Jeremy Howe, Tyson Goldsack's first half.

THE WORST FIVE

5th worst: Jack Ramsay
4th worst: Darcy Moore
3rd worst: Henry Schade
2nd worst: Jarryd Blair
1st worst: Alex Fasolo

THE REVIEWS

Brodie Grundy: Was immense all night, but especially late in the game where he was trying to drag his team over the line. Nankervis wasn't bad, but Grundy dominated the hitouts, picked up 23 possessions, used the ball well (barring one shocker) and kicked a great running goal to drag us back into the contest. The sheer will with which he attacked the footy late showed that he's set to continue his superlative late 2016 form. He's legitimately in the best handful of rucks going around in the comp at present. A wonderful game.

Will Hoskin Elliott: He gifted the Tiges their second quarter goal with an abominable cross-field turnover, but outside of that he was super clean with his hands (he picks the pill up like he's got glue on his fingers), his disposal was probably team-best, and his outside pace became more of a factor as the game wore on. Defensively he could be a little harder, but if I have to choose a Blair-esque gutsy performance or a WHE classy performance, I'll take the class every day of the week. Three last quarter goals, including two from difficult set shots on an evening where the team couldn't buy a straight kick, were good reward for great effort all night long. He's instantly moved himself to the pointy end of the forward mix with that performance. A late first-rounder could end up being a steal.

Adam Treloar: He'd be much higher on this list if his disposal was a bit neater on the night. I absolutely love him and he toiled his guts out, but just a few too many of his kicks missed their mark for it to be a truly dominant performance. He still kicked 2 goals, which goes to show what a jet he is and how harshly I'm marking him. He'll give the Brownlow a shake this season - he might have a vote or two already.

Taylor Adams: Was our main contested bull all night long, going toe-for-toe with Dusty in the midfield and, to be honest, he pansted him in the end. Pity his teammates didn't come along for the ride. He's become a super-consistent inside performer whose disposal is no longer the glaring weakness it once was. The number of forward thrusts he set up with hard ball gets and fast releasing hands was immense. Need more like him.

Scott Pendlebury: He was a little off early in the evening, but as always, when the whips were cracking at the game's end, he was there to influence the contest. Just couldn't get it going enough in our direction, but whenever the ball found his hands, you knew it would be moving our way. 32 disposals and not in the best four? We've got high standards for the captain.

Jack Ramsay: He's started the year like a man who hasn't played much football lately. Funny that. I was a little concerned about his composure in the Bulldogs game and he's done nothing to allay those fears with tonight's performance. It's not his fault, but he's still too panicky and fumbly at present. He needs to go back down to the VFL and find his feet once again. Wouldn't be playing if Sinkers had real hamstrings. He'll be okay.

Darcy Moore: Let's be honest - he's struggling. It wasn't a night for talls, and he was playing largely on Alex Rance, but still - he just doesn't look like it right now. A couple of decent plucks were an encouraging sign, but his kicking looked awkward and wobbly all night. He was a major culprit in generating the yips which lost us the game. Even the goal he kicked on the run seemed like a flukey balldrop that was lucky to sail through. He needs to find his mojo again, because without it, we're going to struggle.

Henry Schade: He does a lot right, but like Maynard, Ramsay and Goldsack around him, when he makes a blunder, it's an absolute HOWLER. Whereas other players on other teams might fumble the ball or shank it out of bounds or to a contest, Schade and a few of his teammates make their clangers count. In the first two weeks I reckon we've seen 10+ goals as a direct result of a calamitous bollock-up. And tonight, Schade was responsible for three of these. That's the ballgame right there. It really hurts. I suspect he's played himself into the VFL with that performance. Bring on Lynden Dunn!

Jarryd Blair: Two kicks. Five handballs. His tackles don't stick. He's lost any sense of composure. He tried to take Adams' head off with a stupidly powerful handpass from one metre away, leading to an early Tigers goal against the flow. On the season so far I've got him at 6 goals under, having set up one and cost the team seven over the two games. He's struggling just about as bad as he has since entering the team in 2010. With Elliott, Wells, De Goey, even Daicos possibly coming into the team, he's really at the crossroads. So far this year, he's done nothing to further his case.

Alex Fasolo: I was furious with Fasolo this evening. It was everything bad about his game personified in one putrid performance. His defensive efforts were non-existent, and to call his attempted tackles half-hearted would be a generous overstatement. Until late in the last quarter, his kicking efficiency was 0%. He butchered three eminently gettable shots at goal and cruelled any momentum we were trying to generate. Overall, he cost us the game. Which I suppose is only fair, considering he single-handedly won us the corresponding fixture last year. He may well have played himself out of the side with that effort - Bucks did not look amused.

Jeremy Howe: Excellent once again, backing himself in not just to spoil, but to mark and rebound. We look infinitely better when we can win possession in the back half, rather than just killing the ball, and he seems to be the only player brave enough to take a chance and attempt a mark, rather than just a spoil. Late on he was still busting a gut to surge us forward - a really great recruit. Let's hope his ex-Melbourne ex-teammate can be similarly revelatory when he gets his chance.

Tyson Goldsack: He was just about best on until half time, where he was winning and repelling everything that came near him. Kept Jack to one handpass despite the Tiges winning the inside 50's early on. Left his man to help his teammates. Tackled to hurt. Was generally immaculate. The second half was a little disappointing - he turned a few over by foot and let Riewoldt get off the hook a bit. Overall, he probably won his position, but he definitely peaked in the second quarter, which is a shame.

Ben Reid: This man seems to have lost the ability to kick the ball forwards; whenever he takes a mark, he instantly turns around and looks sideways/backwards. I understand the need to switch the ball in modern footy, but Reidy has taken all elements of risk out of his game, simply refusing to move quickly or kick the ball upfield. To be honest, it's a momentum killer at times, especially from a man with such a strong left peg. He's beating his man, but he's lost his intercept and rebound game. We need him to find it again.

Josh Smith: A very Smith kinda game - gathered 20 possessions and distributed the ball generally quite neatly and efficiently by foot. Some will accuse him of being too vanilla, but he works his butt off and provides a reliable release valve coming out of defence. I'll definitely take his consistent vanilla over the rocky road flavour which a few of our other defenders are serving up at the moment.

James Aish: I thought he was tidy, especially early, with both his hands and his decision making. He got put in some really tough positions and managed to execute smartly and cleanly to keep the ball moving our way. He didn't get enough of it as the game wore on, however, failing to impose himself when the Tigers got on top. Won't be the first out, but has work to do.

Chris Mayne: We got some good signs from Mayne tonight, and then one horrible moment from which we never really recovered. He was starting to move better and make himself a better forward threat, and he laid a few damaging tackles, culminating in his crunching tackle of Rance 20 metres out. The game was on his boot at that point, with a goal enough to take us 4 goals clear in the third quarter. He misses a VERY simple shot, the Tigers kick the next five, and it's game over. In a very real sense, that miss might have cost us the four points. Simply not good enough.

Brayden Maynard: We got his customary brainfade in the first quarter and his customary out-on-the-full shank in the third. Between those forgettable moments he had some good passages. He had a dominant fifteen minutes in the second quarter where he repelled four dangerous Tigers attacks, and he generally kept his head in close, contested situations, feeding out tight, accurate hands to teammates to set us away. Still, the bad with Brayden absolutely kills us. He just can't seem to eradicate the calamity from his game. As of right now, it's hard to say whether the good outweighs the horrendous.

Steele Sidebottom: Wasn't at his best tonight. His early miss, though difficult, set the scene for our abominable goalkicking. He struggled to impact and didn't gather touches with his usual prolificness, though still ended with low 20s. He was generally down. Could have used his class around goals tonight. In fact, we missed it desperately.

Tim Broomhead: He didn't get a heap of the ball, but what little he did was clean, effective, inventive and great to see. Kicked a goal with his first touch, scoring assist with his second, had a brilliant contested ball win, cut inside and visionary pass to set up Darcy for his goal. He just needs to find it more - but I'm still convinced he's the best natural crumber on the list. Great to see him back.

Jack Crisp: An awful game from Jack, a game where he fumbled, shanked and generally chose the wrong option. He had a great year for us in 2015, but we haven't seen him reach those heights for a while now. He might be making way for Greenwood, Wells and De Goey sooner rather than later. I'm sick to death of his ability to win the centre clearance, only to mongrel it twenty metres with a shanked snap, invariably into the arms of an unmanned opposition player. It's a momentum killer of the highest order, and he's made it an annoyingly frequent habit.

Tom Phillips: Was more composed and skilful than many of his senior teammates tonight. 18 disposals at 83% is about all you can ask for such a youngster. The kid's a running machine. When we can better utilise his gut-busting efforts on the outside, he'll be a real player for us.

Jesse White: Another pretty solid game in which he was our best key forward. Two goals one, some crucial contest wins and a couple of score assists with clever snaps around his body - he definitely holds his spot. To be honest, the way the remainder of our front half is performing at present, I'm almost the most relieved when I see the ball heading in his direction. What a strange turn of events. Anyway, good work Jess. Keep contributing.

Overall, what a hugely disappointing performance which saps away most all of the positives of the Bulldogs performance. We now head to Sydney knowing that we're pretty much playing for our season in round 3. Barring a minor miracle, 2017 could be over before it's even begun, and we've only got ourselves to blame. Diabolical.

Last edited:
Josh Smith: A very Smith kinda game - gathered 20 possessions and distributed the ball generally quite neatly and efficiently by foot. Some will accuse him of being too vanilla, but he works his but off and provides a reliable release valve coming out of defence. I'll definitely take his consistent vanilla over the rocky road flavour which a few of our other defenders are serving up at the moment.

I can't agree, he's a defensive liability and not good enough offensively to warrant it. If he kept his opponent in check I would accept him being vanilla but he doesn't

I can't agree, he's a defensive liability and not good enough offensively to warrant it. If he kept his opponent in check I would accept him being vanilla but he doesn't
I had him on Castagna tonight... 8 touches no goals. Or am I mistaken - was he on somebody else?

Brilliant review!! I understand your points on Ramsey and Moore but I probably rated them a little more than yourself. Otherwise I feel like I've written this myself. Well done

Brilliant review!! I understand your points on Ramsey and Moore but I probably rated them a little more than yourself. Otherwise I feel like I've written this myself. Well done
You could have probably slipped Crisp up the list of the worsts and given Darce or Jack a reprieve in hindsight... I don't think there's anything to worry about long term with those two, but they're both looking a shade underdone and out of form at present.

Also refused to put his body in harms way in a key contest. He has the easiest role on the field yet has no sting to him.

The Good

Brodie Grundy, heading for AA contention but Gawn will get it anyway because he wears Jim Stynes' number

Tyson Goldsack, really fine first half. Fell away a bit after that. A mistake or two, but good game.

Adam Treloar, worth every pick we gave for him. Some odd bod execution, but he's such a terrific player.

Scott Pendlebury. The last quarter like last week almost willed us to a win. Sublime talent. Notice he tells the umpires what's what, a better captain than given credit for. Should make AA thus far and be the captain, but the selectors don't give Collingwood an easy run.

Tom Phillips, gee he runs. High efficiency apparantly, looked that way to me. Composed too. Seems to take good options. Some regulars could learn from him. A better player.

Will Hoskin-Elliot, terrific. Love what he brings. Just a class act. Some could learn from him. Best game thus far for us, last week good too.

Jeremy Howe, terrific. Outstanding first quarter, overall really a quality player.

The ok

Jesse White, did ok, a Jesse game. Kicked straight at times too. A bit maligned. But no star.

Taylor Adams, borderline ok to good player. If I watch the replay I might reassess and say good game. Gets so much of it, competes. Just felt didn't quite finish the business.

Chris Mayne, some good play, tackles, goal sense. Some bad blunders. Might be fashionable to bag him, I don't get the vitriol. But ok for me overall. Improvement needed overall.

Ben Reid. Did his job. Clever player. Suspect did his job tonight. Vital for us.

Tim Broomhead, did some nice things, did some quiet things. Not a great game, but first game back in a long time so a little leniency given.

Bradyden Maynard, an ok game, I think people just don't get what he brings. Such a young kid that goes straight ahead. Was ok. Made errors. But ok. Don't get the bagging he cops.

Josh Smith, just a plain avaerge 20 possession josh smith game. Not harmless, not a star. Ok overall tonight.

The not so good

James Aish, just not his night, copped a bit of a knock maybe. First game back, gets some leniency. Might not keep his place next match. Some things ok though so not terrible.

Steele Sidebottom, probably as poor a game as he'd deliver. Still ran. Too many credits in the bank to look into the mirror. Had a dirty night.

Darcy Moore, just escaped the bottom category, the goal saved him with some nice marks. Worked himself into the marking, that's good. Still raw, still not exploding. His kicking was very poor at times.

Jackson Ramsay, made blunders. Can get confused, but I think he's not as bad as some make out. Still goes for it.
Defence was t the worst tonight, that was forwards who kick between the wrong sticks.

Henry Schade, just a game. Can see him making way for Dunn.

The really look yourself in the mirror

Alex Fasolo, how he could miss, and worse some of the misses translated into opposition goals, they are ten point turnarounds; likely cost us the game. Polar opposite to last year's performance v Richmond.

Jarryd Blair, didn't notice him. No impact at all.

Jack Crisp, might be time to knuckle down, just a poor game. Non effective. Might be on verge of being dropped.

Smith is being crucified IMHO, he just does not have the core strength to play in defense and gets bustled off the contest, he is a natural wingman who runs all day, (to the right spots) finds a heap of the ball, has good disposal and can get forward and kick a goal. We are killing his career playing him in the back line

Smith is being crucified IMHO, he just does not have the core strength to play in defense and gets bustled off the contest, he is a natural wingman who runs all day, (to the right spots) finds a heap of the ball, has good disposal and can get forward and kick a goal. We are killing his career playing him in the back line
Tend to agree with this, Rand. He's perfect as a running link man, but exploitable as a defender.

We really miss Sinkers.

And Elliott.

And Wells, De Goey, Scharenberg... I'm going to bed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These two teams shouldn't be allowed to play football against each other. Whatever it is, the matchup just causes embarrassing, embarrassing, embarrassing football. Error-riddled, low-skilled nonsense that's actually no longer enjoyable to watch - and I say that as somebody whose passion for football is only surpassed by a few other things in my life.

The death-of-a-thousand-cuts gameplan of butchering endless forward 50 entries must be the most frustrating thing to witness as a fan. Were we 2 goals, 11 behinds at one stage? It was just incredible. Realistically, the game should have been over by half time. It definitely should have been over when Mayne lined up from 20 metres to put us 4 goals up... and missed. At the end of the day, if you keep a team in the contest long enough, you're inviting them to win it, no matter how ordinary they are. We invited Richmond to win this game, and by the end had opened the door so wide that we made Shaun Grigg look like a superstar. That's some achievement right there.

Anyhow, onto the players.

THE BEST FIVE

1st. Brodie Grundy
2nd. Will Hoskin Elliott
3rd. Adam Treloar
4th. Taylor Adams
5th. Scott Pendlebury
Special mentions: Jeremy Howe, Tyson Goldsack's first half.

THE WORST FIVE

5th worst: Jack Ramsay
4th worst: Darcy Moore
3rd worst: Henry Schade
2nd worst: Jarryd Blair
1st worst: Alex Fasolo

THE REVIEWS

Brodie Grundy: Was immense all night, but especially late in the game where he was trying to drag his team over the line. Nankervis wasn't bad, but Grundy dominated the hitouts, picked up 23 possessions, used the ball well (barring one shocker) and kicked a great running goal to drag us back into the contest. The sheer will with which he attacked the footy late showed that he's set to continue his superlative late 2016 form. He's legitimately in the best handful of rucks going around in the comp at present. A wonderful game.

Will Hoskin Elliott: He gifted the Tiges their second quarter goal with an abominable cross-field turnover, but outside of that he was super clean with his hands (he picks the pill up like he's got glue on his fingers), his disposal was probably team-best, and his outside pace became more of a factor as the game wore on. Defensively he could be a little harder, but if I have to choose a Blair-esque gutsy performance or a WHE classy performance, I'll take the class every day of the week. Three last quarter goals, including two from difficult set shots on an evening where the team couldn't buy a straight kick, were good reward for great effort all night long. He's instantly moved himself to the pointy end of the forward mix with that performance. A late first-rounder could end up being a steal.

Adam Treloar: He'd be much higher on this list if his disposal was a bit neater on the night. I absolutely love him and he toiled his guts out, but just a few too many of his kicks missed their mark for it to be a truly dominant performance. He still kicked 2 goals, which goes to show what a jet he is and how harshly I'm marking him. He'll give the Brownlow a shake this season - he might have a vote or two already.

Taylor Adams: Was our main contested bull all night long, going toe-for-toe with Dusty in the midfield and, to be honest, he pansted him in the end. Pity his teammates didn't come along for the ride. He's become a super-consistent inside performer whose disposal is no longer the glaring weakness it once was. The number of forward thrusts he set up with hard ball gets and fast releasing hands was immense. Need more like him.

Scott Pendlebury: He was a little off early in the evening, but as always, when the whips were cracking at the game's end, he was there to influence the contest. Just couldn't get it going enough in our direction, but whenever the ball found his hands, you knew it would be moving our way. 32 disposals and not in the best four? We've got high standards for the captain.

Jack Ramsay: He's started the year like a man who hasn't played much football lately. Funny that. I was a little concerned about his composure in the Bulldogs game and he's done nothing to allay those fears with tonight's performance. It's not his fault, but he's still too panicky and fumbly at present. He needs to go back down to the VFL and find his feet once again. Wouldn't be playing if Sinkers had real hamstrings. He'll be okay.

Darcy Moore: Let's be honest - he's struggling. It wasn't a night for talls, and he was playing largely on Alex Rance, but still - he just doesn't look like it right now. A couple of decent plucks were an encouraging sign, but his kicking looked awkward and wobbly all night. He was a major culprit in generating the yips which lost us the game. Even the goal he kicked on the run seemed like a flukey balldrop that was lucky to sail through. He needs to find his mojo again, because without it, we're going to struggle.

Henry Schade: He does a lot right, but like Maynard, Ramsay and Goldsack around him, when he makes a blunder, it's an absolute HOWLER. Whereas other players on other teams might fumble the ball or shank it out of bounds or to a contest, Schade and a few of his teammates make their clangers count. In the first two weeks I reckon we've seen 10+ goals as a direct result of a calamitous bollock-up. And tonight, Schade was responsible for three of these. That's the ballgame right there. It really hurts. I suspect he's played himself into the VFL with that performance. Bring on Lynden Dunn!

Jarryd Blair: Two kicks. Five handballs. His tackles don't stick. He's lost any sense of composure. He tried to take Adams' head off with a stupidly powerful handpass from one metre away, leading to an early Tigers goal against the flow. On the season so far I've got him at 6 goals under, having set up one and cost the team seven over the two games. He's struggling just about as bad as he has since entering the team in 2010. With Elliott, Wells, De Goey, even Daicos possibly coming into the team, he's really at the crossroads. So far this year, he's done nothing to further his case.

Alex Fasolo: I was furious with Fasolo this evening. It was everything bad about his game personified in one putrid performance. His defensive efforts were non-existent, and to call his attempted tackles half-hearted would be a generous overstatement. Until late in the last quarter, his kicking efficiency was 0%. He butchered three eminently gettable shots at goal and cruelled any momentum we were trying to generate. Overall, he cost us the game. Which I suppose is only fair, considering he single-handedly won us the corresponding fixture last year. He may well have played himself out of the side with that effort - Bucks did not look amused.

Jeremy Howe: Excellent once again, backing himself in not just to spoil, but to mark and rebound. We look infinitely better when we can win possession in the back half, rather than just killing the ball, and he seems to be the only player brave enough to take a chance and attempt a mark, rather than just a spoil. Late on he was still busting a gut to surge us forward - a really great recruit. Let's hope his ex-Melbourne ex-teammate can be similarly revelatory when he gets his chance.

Tyson Goldsack: He was just about best on until half time, where he was winning and repelling everything that came near him. Kept Jack to one handpass despite the Tiges winning the inside 50's early on. Left his man to help his teammates. Tackled to hurt. Was generally immaculate. The second half was a little disappointing - he turned a few over by foot and let Riewoldt get off the hook a bit. Overall, he probably won his position, but he definitely peaked in the second quarter, which is a shame.

Ben Reid: This man seems to have lost the ability to kick the ball forwards; whenever he takes a mark, he instantly turns around and looks sideways/backwards. I understand the need to switch the ball in modern footy, but Reidy has taken all elements of risk out of his game, simply refusing to move quickly or kick the ball upfield. To be honest, it's a momentum killer at times, especially from a man with such a strong left peg. He's beating his man, but he's lost his intercept and rebound game. We need him to find it again.

Josh Smith: A very Smith kinda game - gathered 20 possessions and distributed the ball generally quite neatly and efficiently by foot. Some will accuse him of being too vanilla, but he works his butt off and provides a reliable release valve coming out of defence. I'll definitely take his consistent vanilla over the rocky road flavour which a few of our other defenders are serving up at the moment.

James Aish: I thought he was tidy, especially early, with both his hands and his decision making. He got put in some really tough positions and managed to execute smartly and cleanly to keep the ball moving our way. He didn't get enough of it as the game wore on, however, failing to impose himself when the Tigers got on top. Won't be the first out, but has work to do.

Chris Mayne: We got some good signs from Mayne tonight, and then one horrible moment from which we never really recovered. He was starting to move better and make himself a better forward threat, and he laid a few damaging tackles, culminating in his crunching tackle of Rance 20 metres out. The game was on his boot at that point, with a goal enough to take us 4 goals clear in the third quarter. He misses a VERY simple shot, the Tigers kick the next five, and it's game over. In a very real sense, that miss might have cost us the four points. Simply not good enough.

Brayden Maynard: We got his customary brainfade in the first quarter and his customary out-on-the-full shank in the third. Between those forgettable moments he had some good passages. He had a dominant fifteen minutes in the second quarter where he repelled four dangerous Tigers attacks, and he generally kept his head in close, contested situations, feeding out tight, accurate hands to teammates to set us away. Still, the bad with Brayden absolutely kills us. He just can't seem to eradicate the calamity from his game. As of right now, it's hard to say whether the good outweighs the horrendous.

Steele Sidebottom: Wasn't at his best tonight. His early miss, though difficult, set the scene for our abominable goalkicking. He struggled to impact and didn't gather touches with his usual prolificness, though still ended with low 20s. He was generally down. Could have used his class around goals tonight. In fact, we missed it desperately.

Tim Broomhead: He didn't get a heap of the ball, but what little he did was clean, effective, inventive and great to see. Kicked a goal with his first touch, scoring assist with his second, had a brilliant contested ball win, cut inside and visionary pass to set up Darcy for his goal. He just needs to find it more - but I'm still convinced he's the best natural crumber on the list. Great to see him back.

Jack Crisp: An awful game from Jack, a game where he fumbled, shanked and generally chose the wrong option. He had a great year for us in 2015, but we haven't seen him reach those heights for a while now. He might be making way for Greenwood, Wells and De Goey sooner rather than later. I'm sick to death of his ability to win the centre clearance, only to mongrel it twenty metres with a shanked snap, invariably into the arms of an unmanned opposition player. It's a momentum killer of the highest order, and he's made it an annoyingly frequent habit.

Tom Phillips: Was more composed and skilful than many of his senior teammates tonight. 18 disposals at 83% is about all you can ask for such a youngster. The kid's a running machine. When we can better utilise his gut-busting efforts on the outside, he'll be a real player for us.

Jesse White: Another pretty solid game in which he was our best key forward. Two goals one, some crucial contest wins and a couple of score assists with clever snaps around his body - he definitely holds his spot. To be honest, the way the remainder of our front half is performing at present, I'm almost the most relieved when I see the ball heading in his direction. What a strange turn of events. Anyway, good work Jess. Keep contributing.

Overall, what a hugely disappointing performance which saps away most all of the positives of the Bulldogs performance. We now head to Sydney knowing that we're pretty much playing for our season in round 3. Barring a minor miracle, 2017 could be over before it's even begun, and we've only got ourselves to blame. Diabolical.

Great read and agree with much of it.

Some of my thoughts in no particular order:

Tim Broomhead - I've seen some mixed reviews on his game but I was stoked with his output. He is just a very clean and clever player that adds class and decieving pace. In particular he has a knack of being involved in score involvements. Given how much time he has spent away from the seniors a great base to build from. One moment where he pulled out of a marking contest wasn't pretty but otherwise very happy.

Taylor Adams - Didn't rate his game at all. I thought he was terrible with his ball use and couldn't stick a tackle all night. I think it was an unusual performance from Adams and I don't get why same rated it so highly.

Jackson Ramsay - He had some issues with his touch fumbling too much. He also had trouble with his awareness getting caught a bit. But i'm not concerned. He looked like a guy coming back from a knee and is a player we need to persist and play the long game with.

Tom Phillips - I really like this kid. He's so clean and a great decision maker. When he starts averaging over 20 we'll have a player.

James Aish - Very underwhelming. Very concerned about how he is developing. Needs to show far more.

Brodie Grundy - He's a star. A player to build a club around.

Tyson Goldsack - What a game! Almost faultless excepting that mark from Reiwoldt where he read the flight better. So courageous and selfless. His attack on the ball manic. His kicking was reliable. His best game since last year vs Bulldogs. I'm sure Snoop Dog would be stoked and a little vindicated there!

Overall I liked how we looked with the two tall forwards and think that Moore and White combo is now our go. I've changed my mind on that compared to pre-game. It just worked better. Not sure where that leaves Cox?

Lenny,
Like other supporters, I was seriously bummed out by Thursday night.
TBH, I couldn't really face thinking about the game for a day or two.
Reading your detailed effort after a game like that reminded me of what great supporters we have.
Cheers.
I happily rewatched the Dogs' game but have had no interest in revisiting the Tiger's v us. Kudos to Lenny for overcoming negativity and getting a review together.

Lenny,
Like other supporters, I was seriously bummed out by Thursday night.
TBH, I couldn't really face thinking about the game for a day or two.
Reading your detailed effort after a game like that reminded me of what great supporters we have.
Cheers.
Thanks Hardas. Yeah it's been a tough two weeks. I'm convinced (deluded?) that we should have won both games - I'm not sure whether that means we're getting better or worse, but it's certainly more heartwrenching. Been trying to focus on the positives: Howe, Treloar, WHE - all wonderful recruits. Pendles and Grundy look to be in career-best form. Elliott, Wells, De Goey and Scharenberg - all very high end talent - not too far from a return. Daicos named in the emergencies, and with the performance of some fringe players on Thursday, probably not far from a debut.

Oh, and Hawthorn are below us on the ladder.

Reid looks like he's running on the treadmill. Gee he looks slow and immobile.

Should just copy the SEN player ratings, they've been pretty accurate over the past two weeks, especially on Blair.

"Kicked five against Carlton once. Hasn't done much since"

Smith turned it over multiple times, if he is the best we can find in that position the club will be at the bottom a very long time.

Very difficult to hit a target when nobody is moving for you. How many times did we bring it out of defence only to have nobody to kick it to, having to go to a 50-50 (at best) contest.

Great reviews Lenny. Agree with most of it. I'd differ a bit by saying : Bit harsh on Moore, if he had kicked straight would've been a good game.. yeah I know bad kicking is bad footy. I judged it as a poor game from Smith .Was good against dogs but thought he was very soft and one of our worst against tiges. If he did shut down an opponent as you suggest then I stand corrected. Thought Schade was putrid, Adams kicking hurts us, just like with Treloar. Jesse White easily our best forward over the first 2 rounds... I'm happy for him. Not as happy with Maynard as you are. Agree Broomhead looked good to me.. just needs to get more of it.

Very difficult to hit a target when nobody is moving for you. How many times did we bring it out of defence only to have nobody to kick it to, having to go to a 50-50 (at best) contest.
It's really frustrating to watch multiple forward 'options' just hovering rather than making decisive (and if necessary, repeat) leads to offer options or create space for others.
Do they just not really believe that the bloke can actually get the ball to them?
I know we really often don't actually kick it to advantage.
Chicken or the egg?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back