Universal Love Player 'X' I Was Wrrr, Wrrr......Not Right!

Remove this Banner Ad

So I found myself watching the game last Thursday night and it occurred to me. I may have gotten this one slightly wrrrr, wrrrrr, not quite right!

I watched this bloke blossom towards the end of last year and his form so far in 2022 has been nothing short of spectacular.

I had him on the scrap heap a few times over the past 2 years and felt he had to be delisted and did not think he was up to it.

Matty Kennedy I owe you a sincere apology. You have proven that you belong at this level and more than that can go on to become an extremely valuable AFL footballer. To really ram it home I would be comfortable with you playing your role and experiencing premiership success at Carlton this season and on the day winning the Norm Smith. That would really shove it right up me and prove a massive point and make me look ******* silly!

So I did not quite get this one right. Feel free to share any other players over the years that you may have slightly misjudged and ended up eating humble pie over.

fonzie-effusion21.jpg

Carrazzo was the one that I got wrong. I remember telling my dad (fellow blues supporter) that he was a liability to the team, this was towards the end of a couple of seasons with us. The very next Season he came out and shuffed humble pie in my face. The season after was when Essendon juiced up ruined his career.

Harry McKay actually. I remember the night he got drafted to us I wasn’t that excited about it and wanted Weideman instead. Then for a while there he wasn’t getting a game and everyone in his draft class were getting rising star nominations.

I never wrote him off but he didn’t fill me with confidence like Charlie curnow did and I wont say out of no where because he did show some great signs but just like that he’s a Coleman medalist.

Harry Mckay for me. Didn't look likely in the VFL. Couldn't get his body right early days also. I also thought his numbers were average and his kicking was average at best (kinda right on that point). I couldn't see what SOS saw in him. I was hoping for Gresham and Curnow instead.

Does this work both ways? Where you thought a player was going to be awesome and then wasn't?.... Troy Menzel, Kristian Jaksch, Kane Lucas the entire 2010 draft class!! I was pretty convinced they were all going to be awesome!!! But they weren't :'(

Charlie Curnow slightly. In his first season I was unimpressed and he was in and out with illness and injury. I just didn't see it.

I wasn't completely out on him per se I just didn't see what the excitement was about really... then I did!

Does this work both ways? Where you thought a player was going to be awesome and then wasn't?.... Troy Menzel, Kristian Jaksch, Kane Lucas the entire 2010 draft class!! I was pretty convinced they were all going to be awesome!!! But they weren't :'(
If it goes both ways, Menzel is definitely on my list too. :'(

Cameron Wood. I think I spent a few minutes on a podcast episode being completely baffled by the decision to pick him up but then he smashed Selwood so 🤷‍♀️ good decision by the Baggers

C’mon guys… Liam Jones. He has to be on most people’s list, doesn’t he?

I’m probably more guilty of thinking a player will be a star, and they end up with an inglorious career. I’d put Stephen Edgar and Andrew Cavedon in this boat. Jordan Doering looked like he could be anything, and wasn’t.

Still… I remember an old work colleague of mine who was a massive Blues’ fan. We had quite a few disagreements in 2005 over Eddie Betts, who he swore was a flash in the pan player that would never achieve anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far, I cannot believe Paddy Dow hasn't put it together and forced his way into this side. He may yet. The midfield - which was magnificent last week - would go to a whole other level with some explosive pace in there. I keep waiting for him to arrive and being baffled by how not good he is.

PS - I was as right as right about Harry McKay, and I'm glad I have the BigFooty I-told-you-so posts to prove it. :D

Dennis Armfield for me.
I remember thinking “he’s got to go!”.

But his will and determination won me over.
I don’t recall what game it was, but I’m sure one of you will know…
He was being assisted from the ground by a couple of trainers with what looked like a pretty bad lower leg injury.
The play had continued, and ball landed in his vicinity. He limped as fast as he could to lay a tackle or impact the game in some way.
He had me at that moment. And although never the most skilled player going around, he was one of favourites after that, purely based on heart, determination and will.

I wanted Ross Lyon over Voss as our senior coach - I was wrrrr, wrrrrr, not quite right!

I thought the coach selection process was a charade, but this has proven to be wrong.
I love the way to club is all aligned now - from the CEO to the players.

Ross Lyon would have brought a lock down, us against them mentality - and that smug look on his face would have annoyed the hell out of me.

Voss on the other hand is more forthcoming and embracing everything Carlton.
He has earnt respect on the playing field and the players are responding to that.
Also, he allows the players to be themselves - have a look at all the media that has been released.

I love what I'm seeing with Vossy at the helm :D
Finals bound for 2022 - bring it on!

Sps when we drafted him. I cant remember if cerra was in his draft class or the year after, but if he was, i wanted cerra first then sps. I was thrilled we got sps. But as time went on, i realized he just wasnt what i was expecting him to be, and now hes gone. He could still come good at west coast i guess.

A player that i could be wrong about, is o brien. I think he should be playing in vfl developing his game. The first 3 quarters of the richmond game i was cursing dammit O'Brien what are you doing!!! But then he came good in the last quarter, so who knows, he may prove me wrong, hope he does.

Jack silvagni is probably one i was wrong about. Was excited when we drafted him, but the years to come, he was too lanky, too slow and not doing much. The past 2 years or so hes become a heart and soul player.

Sps when we drafted him. I cant remember if cerra was in his draft class or the year after
Yeah, SPS was one I really wanted to succeed. Cerra was taken two spots after we chose Dow. Eeek. But to be fair, would Cerra be the same player if we drafted him? who knows. Freo were not exactly anything flash either so it's really hard to tell.

C’mon guys… Liam Jones. He has to be on most people’s list, doesn’t he?

I’m probably more guilty of thinking a player will be a star, and they end up with an inglorious career. I’d put Stephen Edgar and Andrew Cavedon in this boat. Jordan Doering looked like he could be anything, and wasn’t.

Still… I remember an old work colleague of mine who was a massive Blues’ fan. We had quite a few disagreements in 2005 over Eddie Betts, who he swore was a flash in the pan player that would never achieve anything.

Close to the top of the leaderboard so far.

Dennis Armfield for me.
I remember thinking “he’s got to go!”.

But his will and determination won me over.
I don’t recall what game it was, but I’m sure one of you will know…
He was being assisted from the ground by a couple of trainers with what looked like a pretty bad lower leg injury.
The play had continued, and ball landed in his vicinity. He limped as fast as he could to lay a tackle or impact the game in some way.
He had me at that moment. And although never the most skilled player going around, he was one of favourites after that, purely based on heart, determination and will.

He was a competitor that guy. Genuine beast!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back