Remove this Banner Ad

Adz

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why?
It’s utterly ridiculous, embarrassing and potentially demoralising when a player after the siren attempts to kick 75m to get a score. It NEVER works so why do players continuously self indulge in this?

Why not have a crack? If you get it close enough a teammate can punch it through for a point. Would look silly if you pulled a hammy on the kick but thats a risk most players are willing to take.

Why not have a crack? If you get it close enough a teammate can punch it through for a point. Would look silly if you pulled a hammy on the kick but thats a risk most players are willing to take.

I think the rule is actually you can't rush a behind for your own team after the siren. Has to be the other team punching it through.

Still worth a shot. One in a million comes off, but that's all you need.

I think the rule is actually you can't rush a behind for your own team after the siren. Has to be the other team punching it through.

Still worth a shot. One in a million comes off, but that's all you need.

Huh i never knew that, makes sense... I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why?
It’s utterly ridiculous, embarrassing and potentially demoralising when a player after the siren attempts to kick 75m to get a score. It NEVER works so why do players continuously self indulge in this?
I take it you never buy a Powerball ticket?

I don't think in all the years ive played and watched football have I seen a team get demoralized for missing a shot after that siren that was from so far out the odds were against him.

Inside 50m, yup absolutely, but outside 50m sure you see some argy bargy on a shank but never would a team go "well we had the momentum until we missed after the 3/4 time siren from 65m out on the boundary."

Played a game once where a team-mate got a kick just before the half time siren. He was a small bloke who bore an uncanny resemblance to Milhouse Van Houten (and he did go by the nickname of Milhouse). It was a classic case of don't judge a book by the cover. He was a tough and skillful player. He took his shot from well inside the square, and nailed a perfect torp. The opposition assuming he would get nowhere near it had already started to vacate the field. The ball landed about 15 metres out but kept on rolling and ended up trundling through for a goal.

Why?
They've seen vintage footage of Malcolm Blight

Because great players never give up or limit themselves. It's like the idiots that assume a ball is going to bounce over the boundary line and so they stop chasing it. 1/1000 chance it stays in play and an opportunity is missed. Giving it your all as a professional means you give it 101% a player should have his balls cut off for not giving it his all imo. There is no excuse for a lazy "it can't be done" attitude

Why?

An Adz special :rolleyes:. If there is a chance to get a point or 6.. then why the * not!? There is nothing to lose.

Worth doing for the extra stat, I used to take my kick after the siren even if I had a mark in the backline just to pad the stats out a bit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back