Preview Port Adelaide (9th) v Footscray (4th) Rd 12 AO Sat 11th Jun @13:10

Remove this Banner Ad

upload_2016-6-6_14-6-30.png v upload_2016-6-6_14-6-40.png

My enemy’s enemy is my friend! – NOT THIS WEEK!

A season defining game between the Cinderella stories of the past few years.

Port are back in form after handily dealing with Melbourne and Collingwood, and cementing their credentials as 'a bit better than the other teams not making finals'. The Bulldogs have shown they can mix it with the best, but may not have that little bit extra required to go all the way.

For Port, this game is absolutely season defining! Win this week and we can talk about making an impact in the finals, lose and we will be hoping to make up the numbers. For the Bulldogs, anything less than a hard fought win would be a big backwards step in establishing themselves as top 4 contenders.

Have Port found their mojo? Have the Bulldogs blown a gasket beating the Eagles?

Player to watch from the Bulldogs – Stringer – do Port have a defender who can match up on him without robbing Peter to pay Paul?

To win the game – Port need to have the whole midfield firing, there can be no passengers in this game as the run and work rate of the Bulldogs will be a perfect test for our new found form. As we head into a difficult run of games, this is THE one to set us on the right track.

Last 3 games: Is homeground advantage the key? Suspiciously similar results.

2015 R19Western Bulldogs (128) dftd Port Adelaide (64) EtihadStadium

2015 R10 Port Adelaide (100) dftd Western Bulldogs(62) Adelaide Oval

2014 R14 Port Adelaide (128) dftd Western Bulldogs (56) Adelaide Oval

Last edited:
massive game for our final aspirations.
If we can beat the bulldogs we get a game back on no less than 4 of the top 8 in one weekend, as 3 others will lose.

Can see us getting smashed in contested ball/clearances though.

Really excited for this one. I reckon we can get the job done at home.
I've got a good feeling about this, we are still under the radar and the Dogs wont like coming here.

I'm really looking forward to this game but I'm not confident. Was a great win on sunday but collingwood were pretty bad. Doggies are at another level. I think it will be a tight game right until the end. Port by 3

Not sure what to think about this game. I still feel it's impossible to judge where our form is at. I mean we beat two poor to mediocre opponents but we beat them on the road and we beat them well. You can't ask for more than that but does it measure up to a top 8 team and how will the Bulldogs go away from Etihad? It's going to be a huge test of where we are at and give us a good indication of whether we've actually turned our season around. So far this year we have failed these test spectacularly.

Retribution. These campaigners killed off our 2015 when we failed to turn up last season.

They have the best defensive record mainly due to their accountable midfield and pressure around the ball. Like us, they have been decimated in defence and have developed systems to cover this. Our small forward line hopefully can cause them more issues than what they have faced so far.

We are two very similar teams. Home ground advantage to get us over the line.

The Western Bulldogs have announced their changes already.

Out

Melbourne-Z-new.jpg

In

Virgin-Australia-2-400x264.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both supporter bases seem pretty confident about this game. It's going to be a good one. the people who have said this is season defining for us are right.

I'm thinking that our momentum, Adelaide Oval and some wet, wintery weather will get us over the line.

I reckon P Stewart is the perfect match up for Stringer.

While Dog's supporters are underrating us, I'm quietly confident. Wether or not you subscribe to the thought we over trained earlier in the season (and mid season last year), there is no denying our work rate is back. Our ability to cover ground when the opposition has the ball then sprint into space when we turn it over is impressive. Our contested ball numbers are climbing and our stoppage setups are starting to look good.

The dogs aren't use to playing outside and it's likely to be a cold day and possibly slippery conditions. They don't seem to travel well, especially to AO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back