Opinion Port Adelaide and their Prison Bars

Remove this Banner Ad

If you won an AFL flag in it I cannot imagine there wouldn’t be a greater push to make it permanent for either home, away or both.

Im not to sure. But i wouldnt thats for sure.
I like the idea of honouring our past against our rivals, in our home state, showing our direct competition for fans etc what a real club with real history looks like and rubbing it in there faces.

I wouldnt want us to use it in a grand final. I still want the Power to be the Power. And the Power says and shows to me and our fans how far we have come.

The best of the weak arguments I have read are cliches about slippery slopes, thin edges of wedges, and giving them an inch and them taking a mile.

That’s all good and well.....we don’t want them wearing prison bars against any other teams or against anyone in finals. But cross that bridge if and when Port try to go that one step further. Treat this request at face value which is a request for two Showdowns.
Okay Mr Chamberlain, we'll just give Hitler the Sudetenland for now, surely he wont ask for more?

The slippery slope is a real concern, not just a logical fallacy. It's not even a question of if it will happen or not, they will just keep demanding more because they know the AFL won't hold them to their own word anymore.

A contractual agreement means nothing to them because they will keep crying "but- but- muh heritage"

I actually would love to see them wearing it for Showdown matches, but I'm not naïve enough to not see future concessions, which is why oppose it.

Strong arguments. Although the AFL now owns the trademarks so there’s no financial cost to us. Unless you want to make the ludicrous suggestion that Port wearing prison bars in south Australia will affect Collingwoods membership numbers?

Surely we should be concentrating on issues that directly affect Collingwood.
Our jumper and colours are worth sponsorship to us.

In what way does Port wearing their traditional strip in a local derby against a team that wears the SA state colours damage the brand of Collingwood?

Do we genuinely feel that threatened that our image, membership or sponsorship income will be undermined by this?

I agree we need to protect our brand when it needs protection. But I’d like it explained to me exactly how This will cost Collingwood. What are the risks to us? Are our supporters suddenly going to get confused who to barrack for?

Marketing 101 Timmy, it starts with one act of brand erosion and leads to another and in the end your brand is under a full on attack. Our strongest brand elements are the colours, the stripes, the magpie and these must remain non-negotiable. It was a condition of entry and remains a condition of admission.

"Collingwood was first in black and white. Port Adelaide started in blue and white in 1870 and from 1884-1901 it worked variations of magenta and blue. Port Adelaide formally adopted black and white – with bars rather than stripes – on March 26, 1902, after the players complained their magenta jumpers faded too quickly. No dye could be found to solve this problem.

Collingwood has a binding written agreement with Port Adelaide that concedes the black-and-white jumper to the Victorian club. Collingwood agreed: (a) Port Adelaide could wear any of the historical jumpers in heritage-round matches in Adelaide, but not against Collingwood, and (b) Port Adelaide could wear black-and-white jumpers in heritage-themed rounds in Adelaide, but not against Collingwood.

Port Adelaide has worn black-and-white in 2013 against Carlton in the last AFL game played at Football Park; in the 2014 elimination final against Richmond at Adelaide Oval, and in the Showdown XLVIII. None of these matches was hit with a Supreme Court injunction from Collingwood."

So, already they have gone outside the agreement in place, it begins with this and it ends in liberties being taken and what is arguably the AFL's biggest brand coming under a fully fledged attack. We are already falling behind on and off the field and have much work to do, give no quarter and take no prisoners.

Okay Mr Chamberlain, we'll just give Hitler the Sudetenland for now, surely he wont ask for more?

The slippery slope is a real concern, not just a logical fallacy. It's not even a question of if it will happen or not, they will just keep demanding more because they know the AFL won't hold them to their own word anymore.

A contractual agreement means nothing to them because they will keep crying "but- but- muh heritage"

I actually would love to see them wearing it for Showdown matches, but I'm not naïve enough to not see future concessions, which is why oppose it.

And there we go - we've touched on Hitler. Well done - didn't think we'd get there in a thread about footy jumpers.

And there we go - we've touched on Hitler. Well done - didn't think we'd get there in a thread about footy jumpers.
There are definitely clubs who might warrant the comparison but Port have never really upset me that much

I'm really not too fussed by this. Regarding the marketing angle, and I'm no expert, but are potential sponsors jumping on board due to the name, or the colours?

In a bigger market, do sponsors confuse Manchester United and Liverpool when considering their potential exposure?

I'm really not concerned if they wear it in Showdowns

No ones wanting to abandon it. All we want is 2 games a year against our rivals, in our state, that lets face it unless your a south aussie doesnt get a huge amount of attention.
Probably should of thought of that at the time. You know before you signed the contract saying you wouldn’t wear black and white stripes

Probably should of thought of that at the time. You know before you signed the contract saying you wouldn’t wear black and white stripes

Yeah because contracts are always for forever and never get renegotiated.........you do realise they have been in the AFL almost 25 years now?

(and thats assuming this mythical contract even exists)

There are definitely clubs who might warrant the comparison but Port have never really upset me that much
It's a bloody good comparison. Would love to know how it is exactly wrong to compare them in that specific situation because it fits perfectly. One side knowing the other wont hold them to their word and so keep demanding more.

Learn some history perhaps?

Yeah because contracts are always for forever and never get renegotiated.........you do realise they have been in the AFL almost 25 years now?

(and thats assuming this mythical contract even exists)
Collingwood’s position is clear that they are not willing to renegotiate so Port can get ****ed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That magical contract thats never seen the light of day?

Have we seen the contracts for the Crows, GWS, Freo, Weagles, or GCS? No! Why should we then have access to the Port contract? Just to satisfy a few sooks?

It's a bloody good comparison. Would love to know how it is exactly wrong to compare them in that specific situation because it fits perfectly. One side knowing the other wont hold them to their word and so keep demanding more.

Learn some history perhaps?

Yep great comparison that fits perfectly - the results of Port wearing their old jumper in a couple of games would be bloody similar to the events of World War II.

Yep great comparison that fits perfectly - the results of Port wearing their old jumper in a couple of games would be bloody similar to the events of World War II.
Wow, hope you didn't pull a muscle with that stretch.

As I said, learn some history, the Sudetenland Crisis pre dates the Second World War.

If you don't understand then don't pretend to by somehow painting it like im attributing Port Adelaide as 'evil', no, I'm just using that historical event as a reference point for how one side knows they can get away with demanding more.

If it hurts your feelings less, replace the names 'Hitler' and 'Chamberlain' with 'Gary' and 'Bill'

If you don't understand then don't pretend to by somehow painting it like im attributing Port Adelaide as 'evil', no, I'm just using that historical event as a reference point for how one side knows they can get away with demanding more.

I do understand what you were suggesting, but i don't understand how you think you can reference Hitler without referencing Hitler.

And in terms of a comparison of the demands, I don't understand why you think that Chamberlain saying no would have stopped Germany in their tracks and left them demanding no more in terms of expansion. As you seem to be implying that this will be the result of Collingwood not ceding to this demand.

Last edited:
The way Port are playing they deserve to wear the prison bars, love watching them play and who cares what they wear, I wish we had the prison bars, best jumper around

The way Port are playing they deserve to wear the prison bars, love watching them play and who cares what they wear, I wish we had the prison bars, best jumper around

Turn it up. It's ok in a weird sort of way but it's no Collingwood or South Melbourne circa 1970s, the 2 best jumpers ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back