Opinion Port Adelaide and their Prison Bars

Remove this Banner Ad

If premierships are everything then not winning premierships is nothing.

I'm fuming today at your ex-president's comments so my comments will be more binary than usual today, deal with it.
We both know he was a great player, but clubs win premierships.
You're on our club board. The way we "deal with it" is by telling disrespectful knobs like yourself to piss off back to your own soggy cardboard cutout that you call a board. No wonder your club's most respected supporters are a bunch of tarps.

Port Poo, when Collingwood joins the B-Grade SA competition, we'll change or jumper, but seeing as you joined ours you can fu** off, there's only one black and white Magpies team in the AFL, and it ain't you minnows.

Piss orf.

You rate the SANFL as high as B-Grade?

Are you concerned that some Collingwood supporters, after a big night on the piss, might think they are going to the bathroom and accidently step into the gift shop at Alberton Oval and purchase a prison bars jumper instead of the Collingwood strip?

A Collingwood supporter could never get the pissed.

Gee, I used to think supporters of the SANFL Port were kindred spirits, pragmatic, dogged, much like ourselves, but their AFL version are just a pack of whiney sooky la la’s. Hard to distinguish them from the supporters of Carlton and Geelong. The answer is no, grow a pair and get over it.

Last edited:
Gee, I used to think supporters of the SANFL Port were kindred spirits, pragmatic, dogged, much like ourselves, but their AFL version are just a pack of whiney spooky la la’s. Hard to distinguish them from the supporters of Carlton and Geelong. The answer is no, grow a pair and get over it.

They want to wear their well recognised traditional strip for local games against the Crows who are permitted to play in SA state colours. Are you sure it’s them who have to grow a pair or Collingwood supporters who shouldnt give a rats clacker what’s worn at Showdowns that are always played in Adelaide?

(It being the thin edge of the wedge is a pretty thin argument)

They want to wear their well recognised traditional strip for local games against the Crows who are permitted to play in SA state colours. Are you sure it’s them who have to grow a pair or Collingwood supporters who shouldnt give a rats clacker what’s worn at Showdowns that are always played in Adelaide?

(It being the thin edge of the wedge is a pretty thin argument)

It was a condition of their entry into the league. Can’t be any simpler than that. Happy for them to go back to the SANFL if it means that much to them. They’re our trademarked colours.

It was a condition of their entry into the league. Can’t be any simpler than that. Happy for them to go back to the SANFL if it means that much to them. They’re our trademarked colours.

Strong arguments. Although the AFL now owns the trademarks so there’s no financial cost to us. Unless you want to make the ludicrous suggestion that Port wearing prison bars in south Australia will affect Collingwoods membership numbers?

Surely we should be concentrating on issues that directly affect Collingwood.

Protect the brand

It was a condition of their entry into the league,

If they don't like it, they can opt out, they have largely been a failure anyway.

That is the real truth behind their pleas, their attendance numbers are a disaster, membership not great and financially they are always on shaky ground.

Was it really an explicit condition of entry that they don’t wear black and white stripes? Everyone says it like it’s a fact but I’ve only ever seen it on bigfooty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was it really an explicit condition of entry that they don’t wear black and white stripes? Everyone says it like it’s a fact but I’ve only ever seen it on bigfooty

"Collingwood has a binding written agreement with Port Adelaide that concedes the black-and-white jumper and the magpie to the Victorian club."

However, there have been instances where we have conceded to their wearing of a black and white guernsey, (the old heritage rounds).

Protect the brand

It was a condition of their entry into the league,

If they don't like it, they can opt out, they have largely been a failure anyway.

That is the real truth behind their pleas, their attendance numbers are a disaster, membership not great and financially they are always on shaky ground.

In what way does Port wearing their traditional strip in a local derby against a team that wears the SA state colours damage the brand of Collingwood?

Do we genuinely feel that threatened that our image, membership or sponsorship income will be undermined by this?

I agree we need to protect our brand when it needs protection. But I’d like it explained to me exactly how This will cost Collingwood. What are the risks to us? Are our supporters suddenly going to get confused who to barrack for?

In what way does Port wearing their traditional strip in a local derby against a team that wears the SA state colours damage the brand of Collingwood?

Do we genuinely feel that threatened that our image, membership or sponsorship income will be undermined by this?

I agree we need to protect our brand when it needs protection. But I’d like it explained to me exactly how This will cost Collingwood. What are the risks to us? Are our supporters suddenly going to get confused who to barrack for?
This is basically how I see it. Who cares if someone else has similar colours, it shouldn’t affect how anyone feels about collingwood. That said, if they did actually agree to use teal/whatever, I don’t get why this is even up for debate

"Collingwood has a binding written agreement with Port Adelaide that concedes the black-and-white jumper and the magpie to the Victorian club."

However, there have been instances where we have conceded to their wearing of a black and white guernsey, (the old heritage rounds).
Where does that quote come from?

Strong arguments. Although the AFL now owns the trademarks so there’s no financial cost to us. Unless you want to make the ludicrous suggestion that Port wearing prison bars in south Australia will affect Collingwoods membership numbers?

Surely we should be concentrating on issues that directly affect Collingwood.

They’re our colours, they bring in $m’s every year to the club because they’re recognisable, they’re salable. How many times do we allow another club to wear them diluting that marketability?

We conceded and allowed them to wear them for a milestone game in 2020, now this year they want 2 games, next year it’ll be home games. Where does it end. Very much a thin edge of the wedge.

No ones wanting to abandon it. All we want is 2 games a year against our rivals, in our state, that lets face it unless your a south aussie doesnt get a huge amount of attention.
I know it, and I think you know it too, it won't just be for two games a year. Hell, im onboard with allowing that, but I have the foresight to see the slippery slope ahead...

They’re our colours, they bring in $m’s every year to the club because they’re recognisable, they’re salable. How many times do we allow another club to wear them diluting that marketability?

We conceded and allowed them to wear them for a milestone game in 2020, now this year they want 2 games, next year it’ll be home games. Where does it end. Very much a thin edge of the wedge.

Do you seriously believe Collingwoods merchandise store will suffer a reduction in sales because Port want to wear black and white at the Showdowns, and Collingwood supporters will suddenly be out buying prison bar stripes?

Is that your business case?

Do you seriously believe Collingwoods merchandise store will suffer a reduction in sales because Port want to wear black and white at the Showdowns, and Collingwood supporters will suddenly be out buying prison bar stripes?

Is that your business case?
It's more than merchandise, it's branding. There's a reason other professional sport teams such as NFL, NBA have a distinct brand and colour set, because those colours are an asset which is owned by those teams and if someone were to infringe upon that, what's to say they don't just start ripping off other elements of their identity.

The Prison Bars are 'the Magpies' jumper, not 'the Power's" jumper, so the connotation is that it's stepping over the uniqueness of the Collingwood Magpies brand.

id dare say we wouldnt use it for a permeant home jumper but i could see us wanting it in big finals to eventually....
If you won an AFL flag in it I cannot imagine there wouldn’t be a greater push to make it permanent for either home, away or both.

It's more than merchandise, it's branding. There's a reason other professional sport teams such as NFL, NBA have a distinct brand and colour set, because those colours are an asset which is owned by those teams and if someone were to infringe upon that, what's to say they don't just start ripping off other elements of their identity.

The Prison Bars are 'the Magpies' jumper, not 'the Power's" jumper, so the connotation is that it's stepping over the uniqueness of the Collingwood Magpies brand.

All very vague concepts.

Bottom line I can’t see how Collingwood is affected in any way in terms of brand or financials if the power wear the prison bar strip twice a year at the Adelaide oval against the other South Australian team.... (who are allowed to wear state colours incidentally).

Not once have I ever looked at an old Port jersey with stripes only on the top half and mistaken it for a Collingwood jumper with stripes all the way from top to bottom.

It’s not our brand and never has been, despite the similarity.

The best of the weak arguments I have read are cliches about slippery slopes, thin edges of wedges, and giving them an inch and them taking a mile.

That’s all good and well.....we don’t want them wearing prison bars against any other teams or against anyone in finals. But cross that bridge if and when Port try to go that one step further. Treat this request at face value which is a request for two Showdowns.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back