Port Adelaide's plan to use jumpers similar to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading this thread and others, I still don’t understand why others have an issue with us celebrating and respecting our history.

We’re the only club in the AFL with a recent, successful history in a competition that was not the VFL. It’s the ACTUAL reason we were accepted into the AFL.

Why do so many on here, especially Victorians, feel threatened by that?
It’s because you shove it in our face with your supporters and president trying to outdo another media starlet who was a former president and whinge whinge whinge. Your team beats a crap team and wins one game and all of a sudden they have the premiership sewn up and the masses come out the woodwork with the carry on - that’s why everyone loves seeing it not happen and that’s why everyone loves seeing you sit atop the tree most years and get a home prelim and choke.

You’ve bought this on yourselves.
Port are the kids at school who let everyone know how good they are or bully everyone and then cry when no one comes to their birthday party

Seeing that Richmond in 1974 absolutely dominated the SANFL premier in the Championship of Australia game, there is no doubt that Richmond 1974 > Port Adelaide 1977

You can’t draw that conclusion on the result of one game. The year before Richmond only beat Subiaco by two goals.

Also your logic dictates that the SANFL was a stronger competition than the VFL in the early 20th century because Port Adelaide smashed their Victorian opponents on 3 separate occasions.

We must’ve been the top tier back then!

EF264EEB-A80E-4D12-BCE8-66B6001979C7.jpeg CFB624D6-4901-4DD9-AEEB-EBB68F17D835.png

looks nothing alike, if anything maybe the sanfl magpies should be sueing Collingwood for the changes Collingwood have made to their jumper to look more like the prison bars. 🤣

ill just leave this here

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210508-064115_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210508-064115_Chrome.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 76
Read the tea leaves.

It isn't about the showdown.

Just as Port are now trying to push the fact that Collingwood was OK with them wearing the bars as part of the 150 year anniversary, then if the get the showdown it will be we want that as our sole jumper.

So it comes back to the simple point - are the AFL going to allow two teams play in Black n White stripes in the AFL.

Either let Port play in it full time, or tell em to drop it.

Actually if they were approved to play today in them you realise thing whole
thing wouldn’t even be a thing don’t you. The AFL and Ed are making it an even bigger issue of it - especially when Ed keeps showing vision of the crowd.

Just goes to show AFL are dumb.

this should be a non issue unless they think Collingwood or port fans are really dumb that they can’t tell their clubs apart or that sponsors are dumb as well.

also, all 18 clubs are supposed to be equal in this comp.

anyway, the prison bar and the white Collingwoodjumper with black stripes doesn’t clash.

afl are yet to resolve the bigger issue, “every” club has a home, an away and a clash kit. Not this white/coloured shorts for black and white tv crap.
The home team will always wear their home kit and the away team either has to wear away or clash against them. That’s it.

it doesn’t matter if two teams have similar jumpers, same colours etc, it’s about the clashing in games.

Port should be allowed their prison bars as a home jumper, not away because it potentially clashes with too many teams, but when playing at home fair game.

I fail to see why this is a big issue and why we can’t just resolve the bigger issue and the afl act like a professional organisation in 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFL Hall of Fame recognises players / administrators from the lands major leagues then they already recognise the history of the game in a national way - if they approached the jumper issue the same way then Port have a history just as much as Collingwood.

as I have asked, why would such a 'massive gigantic' brand fear a 'much smaller' one? Do Man Utd fear Stoke? do they fear Joe Blogs buying a Stoke shirt instead of Rooney?

Rooney hasn't played for Manchester United since 2017.

I'd say Manchester United are at the top of the tree among hundreds of clubs where it fragments considerably below the top 10 or so.

Collingwood and Port Adelaide are direct competitors in an 18-team League. That is the football market in Australia and will be for some time to come. I'm sure Port fans can see the differences between Leagues here in Australia and OS.

Although there are examples of clubs sharing the same or similar colours - Carlton/Geelong, Essendon/St Kilda, Essendon/Melbourne, even Collingwood/Port - they all have a distinguishing design or colour to their strips. Collingwood aren't necessarily concerned about Port Adelaide being black and white as far as I'm aware. They're concerned about them being black and white stripes.

I'm neither here or there on this issue. As a supporter of neither club or Adelaide (I'd say they're emotional about this too simply because they'd prefer their rival not to get their way), I can be objective about this.

It would be good for Port to wear their SANFL uniform in their home showdown (ex finals) each season as a celebration of SA football heritage. I reckon it would add more spice to the game for Crows supporters too, to actually see the opposition in the SANFL garb they so despised for decades.

At the same time, I can see Collingwood's side of it and what they want to protect. Port have everything to gain, Collingwood have more to lose.

It’s because you shove it in our face with your supporters and president trying to outdo another media starlet who was a former president and whinge whinge whinge. Your team beats a crap team and wins one game and all of a sudden they have the premiership sewn up and the masses come out the woodwork with the carry on - that’s why everyone loves seeing it not happen and that’s why everyone loves seeing you sit atop the tree most years and get a home prelim and choke.

You’ve bought this on yourselves.
Port are the kids at school who let everyone know how good they are or bully everyone and then cry when no one comes to their birthday party
Are you talking about us or Collingwood?

Rooney hasn't played for Manchester United since 2017.

I'd say Manchester United are at the top of the tree among hundreds of clubs where it fragments considerably below the top 10 or so.

Collingwood and Port Adelaide are direct competitors in an 18-team League. That is the football market in Australia and will be for some time to come. I'm sure Port fans can see the differences between Leagues here in Australia and OS.

Although there are examples of clubs sharing the same or similar colours - Carlton/Geelong, Essendon/St Kilda, Essendon/Melbourne, even Collingwood/Port - they all have a distinguishing design or colour to their strips. Collingwood aren't necessarily concerned about Port Adelaide being black and white as far as I'm aware. They're concerned about them being black and white stripes.

I'm neither here or there on this issue. As a supporter of neither club or Adelaide (I'd say they're emotional about this too simply because they'd prefer their rival not to get their way), I can be objective about this.

It would be good for Port to wear their SANFL uniform in their home showdown (ex finals) each season as a celebration of SA football heritage. I reckon it would add more spice to the game for Crows supporters too, to actually see the opposition in the SANFL garb they so despised for decades.

At the same time, I can see Collingwood's side of it and what they want to protect. Port have everything to gain, Collingwood have more to lose.

Nobody has told me what they lose yet?

Nobody has told me what they lose yet?

In the AFL Collingwood are black and white stripes, it’s not even a visually good look for Collingwood to see a crowd in Black and white stripes at a game they are not involved with.
I don’t know what they would lose monetary wise and I guess no one would but I think on any permanent type of basis it could hurt Collingwoods brand and I am not sure that is right.
If Norwood for some reason decided they wanted to wear a black and white jumper back in the 80’s then I am sure Port Woukd of had a problem with it.
Do I think Port should be given access to wear the prison bars once a year then the answer is yes, but only under strict guidelines and a legal agreement that they cannot sell the jumper or make money off it.
If the fans themselves wish to get jumpers made in Bali or Thailand and wear them then there is nothing the AFL can do about that but the club should not be seen to be involved or promoting it.
I love Ports great history and I think the club should be able to acknowledge it in the National league, but once a year is enough and the club should invest and promote their new identity with the Chevron which is a great jumper, just less teal and much bigger V.

Nah, he wanted to play for the Magpies.
Well nobody has ever accused Buckley of being a smart man. He can't even tell his Maynes from his Mundys ;)

Probably lucky he wasn't after a Tom Lynch as he'd have insisted on recruiting the Adelaide one.

How good was it to see an old cats campaigner running around in the old wooly jumper in the crowd! Loved the kiwis suiting up in the beige brigade when the on field kit was the black and silver strip!
The sale of prison bar jumpers would not eat into Collingwoods jumper sales. No one walks into a shop to chose supporter apparel and then changes their mind to another team. Of course the club should be able to sell a prison bar jumper and the fans should be able to wear it. I’d love a lace up version of the current jumper while we are at it.
The club plays an INXS song before the game - apart from Port who cares? The entrance to club has an AFL league cup, a couple of McLeod trophies, some SANFL league, reserves and underage trophies - apart from Port who cars? We have the names of good and great club men on lockers in the rooms - apart from Port who cares?
Port fans want to wear something - apart from the fan wearing it, who cares? Port choosing a jumper not clashing with the match day opponent - apart from Port who cares?
There is no material impact on anyone else.

In the AFL Collingwood are black and white stripes, it’s not even a visually good look for Collingwood to see a crowd in Black and white stripes at a game they are not involved with.
I don’t know what they would lose monetary wise and I guess no one would but I think on any permanent type of basis it could hurt Collingwoods brand and I am not sure that is right.
If Norwood for some reason decided they wanted to wear a black and white jumper back in the 80’s then I am sure Port Woukd of had a problem with it.
Do I think Port should be given access to wear the prison bars once a year then the answer is yes, but only under strict guidelines and a legal agreement that they cannot sell the jumper or make money off it.
If the fans themselves wish to get jumpers made in Bali or Thailand and wear them then there is nothing the AFL can do about that but the club should not be seen to be involved or promoting it.
I love Ports great history and I think the club should be able to acknowledge it in the National league, but once a year is enough and the club should invest and promote their new identity with the Chevron which is a great jumper, just less teal and much bigger V.

Norwood, Port, Collingwood all have their own histories, so that’s a daft argument.

So in a comp where it’s hard to make a living and one club can sell jumpers to its own supporters to make some cash, (that Collingwood supporter won’t accidentally buy) - you say no!

It’s just bollocks the whole thing. Grow up AFL.

Norwood, Port, Collingwood all have their own histories, so that’s a daft argument.

So in a comp where it’s hard to make a living and one club can sell jumpers to its own supporters to make some cash, (that Collingwood supporter won’t accidentally buy) - you say no!

You have an AFL jumper. Why are you so embarrassed by it?

What PAFC should do is only sell their SANFL jumper in their stores with everything the same except the AFL logo, which I'm sure they do.

Then their fans can only buy that one if that's the one they have decided at present is their heritage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back