Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs. Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Negatives
Masten and Wellingham were my negatives tonight

I get so nervous when Wellingham has the ball in hand, his tackling pressure and run is pretty good but his skills and decision making are at an all time low atm.

Yeo needs to stop cracking the shits and hit the contest really ******* hard like you know he can, spudding overhead marks isn't good enough

Positives
Everything else

Special mention to Shannon Hurn: almost never gets placed in peoples out and out positives, maybe because what he does every week is just expected but to hit someone on the tit 60 metres away time and time again off the half back line is such a massive thing.

I wish I could see that old drunk, Adelaide prick from the last time we played them at Subi when he yelled after the game "Eagles are rubbish, can't win away and can't win at home blah blah" chanting it. I'll settle with a replay though...

Great feeling :D

Positive: massive lulz reading this in Crows game day thread:

I thought this game was an absolute disgrace. My reasons are as follows. I believe that Adelaide was paid by corrupt betting agencies to lose the game. It just does not make sense that WC a struggling second rate side, could beat Adelaide, in adelaide. The Adelaide players are an absolute corrupt disgrace and an investigation should be made. Their efforts were pathetic, they threw the game. no effort. walker is an absoulte disgrace. shame on you and the rest of those who conspired with you.

They were paid to lose this game. Shame on the corrupt betting agencies that paid Adelaide to lose this game. absolute disgrace. the afl has to investigate this rubbish and blight on the game. terrible, disgusting. no i did not bet on adelaide to win, as i am not a betting man. shame on the Adelaide football club for throwing this game. an absolute disgrace... garbage city and garbage club. same as snowtown. rubbish...

Just having a look now, some of those melts are out of control. Like wow. s**t I hope this board wouldn't tolerate melts as hardcore as that..

We're playing top 4 level footy, although with a few things left to tidy up.

Midfield balance is working well, but Yeo and Jetta (only real negatives aside from Darling's early kicking) will need to have more influence/take their chances if we are to penetrate through September.

I said a few months ago we are not a top 4 side, and something drastic will have to happen for me to change my mind.

While it doesn't seem so drastic, the midfield is clicking now; cleaner pick-ups off the deck, cleaner hands in traffic, and Sheed now getting back up to speed - he takes his time with the ball and has been kicking well to good options.

Just shows how tight this competition is. Drastic changes they are not, but the effect on our output is.

Mega positives to

Giles: Stood up like a mother*er after being poor in his other games. Really set the tone early I felt, took marks and controlled the ruck
Jetta: Again faded a bit but another game where he showed his value, some spearing kicks into the forwards and a nice goal. Needs to be used more (YEO THAT'S YOU MATE)
Priddis/Gaff/Shuey/Sheed: Midfield quartet delivered big time today, with a perfect blend of contested work and outside run, we look a lot better with Sheed in the side I have to say
JK/JD: Mega props to JJK the two time coleman winning superstar who dominated Talia, but also to JD who could have dropped his head with those misses but returned to kick two and actually had a good game in the end. If he'd kicked straight he's in the votes probably.
Gov/Barrass: Who needs Mitch McGovern? Barrass is the real McGovern 2.0. What a young star.

Positives
Barrass
Giles and Lycett
Gaff

We are unbeatable with Barass and Mcgovern dominating the aerial contests. Was also pleasantly surprised by the performance of our ruck duo today. All they had to do was keep the ruck contests even. And they did that brilliantly!!
Gaff with the new PB in disposals!!!

Negatives
Hill
Jetta

Our indigenous boys need to step up, Hill defensively did some good things, needs to hit the scoreboard more tho,

As for Jetta, He is brilliant when he has the ball, but he needs to get more of it. He needs to be on the end of the contests from our inside mids, just outside the packs. Maybe it may also be a coaching problem, as we don't necessarily have any set plays for Jetta, we don't see our other mids shepherding for him when he gets the ball, or looking for him when they do have it, Gaff seems to be the go to guy at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many +ves

The only negative for me - we have comprehensibly outplayed two teams in the last 2 weeks and won both by under 5 goals.

Whereas purely looking at general play they felt 7+

Still - my biggest gripe (including last year) was how bad our ground ball scrap has been. It's been electric lately. Some of the in tight handball chains make me want to fap

Still - my biggest gripe (including last year) was how bad our ground ball scrap has been. It's been electric lately. Some of the in tight handball chains make me want to fap

Hasn't it? Working so much harder in contests and we're so much more one touch instead of the fumbles we saw earlier in the year. Makes such a difference.

Hasn't it? Working so much harder in contests and we're so much more one touch instead of the fumbles we saw earlier in the year. Makes such a difference.

Honestly reminds of WC after round 17 of 2006; that hard running handball happy style of play that helped us win top spot and a premiership. I hate relying on other teams, but we seriously need North and Collingwood to win this week. If so, we're every chance.

+
won't name individuals again as that's been covered in every thread, but there were plenty of contributors, the only way we can get it done in september.
our poise and spread at the contest was the best i've seen all year. minimal selling teammates into strife, even with a lot of handballing. we just seemed to know where to be once the ball hit the deck and backed ourselves to make the right decision.
we were just ready to go. i expected the exact opposite given the nicnat omission (not to mention the way we've started too many games this year). intensity and pressure was there from the get-go. we didn't really let adelaide get settled except for a few patches here and there, and you expect a top 2 team to show up eventually. hopefully simmo has the team peaking at exactly the right time and we can keep it going through the finals to give ourselves another crack at the flag.
no injuries!

-
yeo just hasn't looked right this year and half the time i can't figure out where he's playing, or where he should be playing. might be a victim of his own versatility. didn't see much of him at the contest, which is where i think he needs to be in order to be most damaging with his strength and ability to burst away. should be more dangerous than he is.
the upcoming bye. wish we could keep this run going as the boys clearly have a bit of belief right now.
inaccuracy in front of the sticks. good teams (on their day) will punish us.

don't know if it's a positive or a negative, but geez we avoid showing any degree mongrel at times. whether it's giving an opponent a bit of hell after they utensil up (which seems to be the status quo most games you watch) or giving a bit of stick when we've got our foot on the opposition's throat... it can seem like we are either too 'focused' (not a bad thing) or too soft (a bad thing).

Last edited:
I was at the game tonight and i cannot understate how good Tom barrass was tonight, his ability to read the ball in flight is exceptional and i will be stunned if he does earn an all Australian Guernsey before his career is over. He was truly exceptional. Will add a more detailed list later when i am sober
Same mate, even the crows fans were like, where the hell did you get this guy from? When you even impress the opposition supporters, you know you have had a bloody good game.

Jetta is doing what we were hoping at the beginning of the year.

Creating another dangerous outlet that opposition coaches must now put time and effort into stopping. He had a fantastic first quarter and then had the clamps put onto him, which then took pressure off of other players.

I wonder if it's no coincidence that Gaff has had two of his best games this year in the last two weeks, with Jetta in the side..

Special mention to Shannon Hurn: almost never gets placed in peoples out and out positives, maybe because what he does every week is just expected but to hit someone on the tit 60 metres away time and time again off the half back line is such a massive thing.

agree, but this year seems to be averaging at least 1 bewildering decision a game where (with options everywhere) he'll kick it to a 3 on 1 contest we're bound to lose. can't be too critical tonight though. he was really solid.

Lots of positives tonight - Barrass, Kennedy, Priddis, Shep... The list goes on. An away from home win after the previous two is a good build to the finals. Keep it going, boys!
Too buoyant to worry about the negs!!!

Congratulations gents. You won fair and bloody square, and demonstrated that your fortunes as a team are not dependant on Nic Naitanui. I'm liking your form, and it's not the form team in the minor round who wins the premiership, it's the form team in finals.

If the Crows can't, I hope you win the flag, and stick it up the Vics and the doubters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back