Review Positives and Negatives vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved that Fyfe couldn't wipe the permanent smile of his face at the end.

Got a really good feeling from that about the vibe within the group.
Feels like a united group with a real belief in some obviously excellent coaching.

As Ross would say, we're coming to hand.......

Season poised nicely, run of home games to come.
I haven't genuinely been this excited since sliced bread went on sale

Edit: 2013 was great of course, but this group and their potential growth??? Sheesh. I might be high on the win but with 22 of our B22 missing, we have some real talent across the list

Massive positive that an <20 game player in Bewley, made a big leap forward and defied his inexperience.

Coyler showed what he could be.

Shultz continued his grunt, being another player defying his minimal games and upped his game continuing along his trajectory.

The team obviously left the game plan in the rooms for the first quarter, but being reminded at the first break kicked them into gear and flummoxed the Saints.

Injuries clear sucky negative. But they brought out the grit. Long may it stay.

A positive is we’re leading the league for disposal efficiency. Le Cras earning his paycheck, if he’s still at the club.

Just on this constant reference to DE%.

Is it due to training skills or change in game plan? The team seems to be shipping the ball and looking for uncontested marks tp control the territory and tempo.

Not sure how much credit a part time coach should be given especially with how limited the contact has been. More likely to be related to the change in overall game plan.

I think the Dockers spot on the ladder is a little deceiving, as you guys have had some tough games to start the season and have been competitive in pretty much all of them. Promising signs from a young side and definitely a chance to knock over the Eagles next week.
This is how I see our season. We've been competitive against some good teams.
Next week is a huge test though.

Is it due to training skills or change in game plan? The team seems to be shipping the ball and looking for uncontested marks tp control the territory and tempo.

Not sure how much credit a part time coach should be given especially with how limited the contact has been. More likely to be related to the change in overall game plan.
It’s definitely the first part of a developing game plan, time taken to improve the skill over the previous effort philosophy. I think once the coaches are happy with field kicking we’ll begin to move the ball a little quicker with a few more risks which will improve inside 50 entries & connection with our forwards.

There's another factor. You'd have to take into account the playing group as well. Lot of new Freo faces out there, traded in or drafted.
Guys like Aish improve us from day one, and as much maligned as I've seen Bewley being, he doesn't miss very often, by way of two examples.

Got a feeling we've traded out, or are not playing most of the worst offenders, and that's making a difference too.

Another positive is there isn't a better club we could have done it against. Just so funny it was the saints, especially after everything that has happened.

Eagles?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We went to the hub with a compromised playing list.

We played and lost 3 games, and suffered more injuries.

We won our first game last week, and suffered 4 injuries from then until now.

We played today and had 2 more injuries, and a crap load of sore bodies.

And we won - I'm hearing a lot of 'best win since 2013 stuff'. Remember guys, our wins last year against GWS and Collingwood away, Brisbane and Geelong at home were pretty exceptional. There's been a few others that had Mundy after-the-siren kicks as well that were pretty spectacular. There was a game is 2017 where only 20,000 rocked up because the fans had a gutful and we pulled off an epic win.

But none of those games had the key outs we had before the game, none of those games had just 20 available players, and none of those games included a 37-point deficit turn-around in shortened quarters.

I do think Eagles fans will be saying 'Freo played their grand final last week' and they'll be right. We are so freaking compromised right now, and even our playing boys have been stretched to the absolute limit. If none of the injured lads can get up for next week, then we may only be able to push ourselves so far. So we might lose next week, it might get ugly on the field and on this board but it should certainly NOT take away from what's been achieved today.

Like the Chinese belt and road initiative, I'm finally convinced there's a long-game being played that I could invest in. Yeah the boys.

There's also that saying, a country or Government should be judged on how they treat their poorest citizens. I feel like the same applies to footy clubs and the way their weakest 4-6 players impact the match.

We've seen multiple games historically where our bottom 6 have lost it bad for us. We don't need Schulz, Banfield, Colyer, Bewley and Duman to win us games on the edge of their boot but we need them to competent.

Ross Lyon made his bottom 6 competent by making them blanket and nullify the opposition.

Longmuir needs to support his bottom 6 to elevate themselves to the highest point within the restrictions of their skill level, that in itself allows the prime players to ply their craft.

On an individual note, the development of Tucker has been phenomenal. There was some clearance work that was lightning quick and effective. His gut running and territory gaining is channeling Brad Hill in his doig level, he just covers so much territory and is becoming bafflingly electric in what he can do with the footy. It's taken some years but this boy could become huge for this club.

Positives, quarter one.
Negatives, quarters 2 through 4, plus the St Kilda team, coaches and management. O yeah, and getting up at 3 a.m. to watch it.

I don't know why I bother with Aussie Rules anyway; bloody foreign sports. Still can't believe it, but credit to your lads, that was some fightback. Well done.

Positives, quarter one.
Negatives, quarters 2 through 4, plus the St Kilda team, coaches and management. O yeah, and getting up at 3 a.m. to watch it.

I don't know why I bother with Aussie Rules anyway; bloody foreign sports. Still can't believe it, but credit to your lads, that was some fightback. Well done.

You didn't help yourself picking them.

There is some absolute gold on the Saints board but this is a true gem of uninhibited insanity

Totally reasonable Saints fan said:
OK I promise I'm not wearing my Saints glasses here, but watching the slow mo of Longy he gets down low in front of Darcy and gets his feet set, and Darcy actually goes head first into Long's brick wall back! Not an arm or bump or a charge. Like a car in an accident, Long was stationary when he was rear ended :wink:

Put it this way, if Long did the same thing propping in front of an opposition player who actually kept their feet, they would probably be paid a free against when they run through the back of Long. The fact that Darcy went to his knees leading head first into Long's back doesn't equal a suspension. If anything, Darcy just got schooled on how not to lead into contests head first like Paddy McCartin would. I would strongly argue that out of the two players Darcy was the reckless one.

:drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back