Preview Practice Match v Collingwood Friday 24th Feb 11.00am @ Princes Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Was at game and have also watched replay.

Bit disappointed with game. I had hoped we would see an improved, faster transition game and more rotations through midfield for depth. What i saw was a re-enforcement of what we did last year.

At the game it was noticeable how often we went forward through the wings, which is a continuation of last years approach. I had hoped we would be more adventurous with our transition forward.

Collingwood by contrast continue to play heavily through the centre corridor and move the ball very fast. We still look a bit slow. Leg spead our biggest weakness.

Acres was outstanding both offensively and even more so defensively. We will definitely play through him a lot. On the otherside o' brien was solid.

Cincotta did enough for round 1. Cowan wont be picked but showed plenty in his first outing. He was confident, strong and assured. Hollands looked terrific, his workrate and reading of play noticable. He is not physically ready but may sneak in while walsh is absent.

The hype on Motlop's improvement is justified. Along with Acres most impressive player of the day for me, outside of Harry.

Standard was really good and both teams showed they will win more than lose.

I’ve always said him and Durdin are going to be deadly both great alone but three times the player together
If you happen to have stumbled across my open training ramblings, you'll know we're on the same page. Motlop and Durdin have built this great synergy together - their pre season form on the track has been an absolute eye opener. As a collective, they have a real presence in the forward half.

I reckon we'll be in for a real treat seeing their development this year. By the end of the year we'll be saying "who's Harry and Charlie???" ;)

I really enjoyed the slow mo replay of the game - highly recommended.
LoB was pretty influential in a positive way - fantastic run down the wing when he backed his run - would like to see more of that!
I think Carlton played with fewer rotations but seemed to be able to stick with Collingwood's run.
Those people questioning Kennedy's ( again) need to watch the game more closely - he does more hard work in and under and heavy tackling on the better opposition mids than any other mids as well as impacting positively as a running link man -good to see players looking for him to bob up for teh give away handball outside the 50 meters Bang goal - and payback for the one Howe kicked form same distance. Doch has a great ability to pick up loose balls in congestion as a mid - but too often muffs the release handball to his outside supports.
If only Fisher had more endurance he would be quite the player with his jig and jags fast thinker - just needs to be in more contests - but definitely has improved his run - good sign. Honey, Cowan, and the new boy Cincotta were all ok - Newman, Saad and Young were my pick of the defenders.

Special mention re Motlop - his running capacity has improved big time - saw him deep in defence running the ball out and then popping up in the forward fifty as part of the same play...good signs for sure.

Definite signs of Carlton willing to take the long kick over the defensive press in evidence for most of the game until everyone ran out of legs in the final 15 minutes - Cowan distinguished himself in his ability to kick a long ball over the top of the defensive press - as ( surprising to me ) did Ed Curnow on one occasion.

Next week selections will say more about round one.

Those people questioning Kennedy's ( again) need to watch the game more closely - he does more hard work in and under and heavy tackling on the better opposition mids than any other mids as well as impacting positively as a running link man -good to see players looking for him to bob up for teh give away handball outside the 50 meters Bang goal - and payback for the one Howe kicked form same distance.
It's a bummer they didn't stream the VFL game. Kennedy only played some of the 1st quarter probably just to get his minutes up. The opposition were a bunch of kids (as were most of ours) - but it looked like one of those times when you see that man-child out there playing in the U15's and completely dominating.

I'm absolutely rapt for him though. I remember seeing him plodding around in the magoo's a few years back looking like an old war horse scratching for a kick...bandages hanging off all over his body, and thinking he'll no doubt be gone the end of the year. Thank god the club kept some kind of faith that year and offered him another contract. And the fact he just signed a 3 year deal at the start of this year shows how highly they now regard him.

I was fortunate enough to meet him down at the local golf course a few years back - absolute ripper - complete with that trademark cheeky smile :thumbsu:

Yeah Acres slotted in really well. None of the up and under kicks the Dockers supporters rabbit on about either. Promising first hit out.

Freo just had no one to mark them, luckily we have two of the best!

I enjoyed Acres game. When he was in space I thought his disposal was fine. When under pressure he did blaze away at times but no more worse than any other player. His kicks do seem to hang a bit but I don't recall any that were turned over by the opposition. His hands in close were elite and he covers the ground well.

A steal for a future 3rd.

It might only have been a pre season practice game, but i'm still pretty happy with the win. Whether it's a grand final, regular season or practice game, or even a game of scrabble or snakes and ladders.

I couldn't care less about how small or insignificant the occasion may be, i don't want Collingwood beating us in anything! We owe the Pies big time after last year.

Last edited:
A number of guys that will come in and or be in the mix for round 1

Likely inclusions for round 1, Gov, Durdin, Martin, Pitto

Still in the mix, Owies, Marchbank, Kemp, Carroll

Would really like Lemmey to come in against the Swans, give Jsos a rest, play Charlie as the 3rd tall

Last edited:
A number of guys that will come in and or be in the mix for round 1

Likely inclusions for round 1, Gov, Durdin, Martin, Pitto

Still in the mix, Owies, Marchbank, Kemp, Carroll

Would really like Lemmey to come in against the Swans, give Jsos a rest, play Charlie as the 3rd tall
watch it in slow mo mate- lots of new stuff was being tried out all over the place...
particularly interesting for me was

the CBB mix and rotations
how Carlton pretty much played long periods holding possession and playing territorial game
how for extended periods Collingwood were totally shut down moving the ball...

I got teh feeling that the side was well drilled in game plan for all parts of the field - massive change from previous years and expected as this was second pre-season now.

McGovern/Martin/Durdin/Marchbank will only strengthen the side - but the game plan and structures all over teh park looked very solid even within noobies filling in slots.

A lot of those impressed the biggest improver was TDK for me.The tap work was dominant the work at ground level and around the ground influential.Forward craft improved he will play every game he is fit the other rucks can fit around him he is number1.Strong fast athletic good in air mature in ruck craft he will be a weapon this year

He dropped at least three marks that he had for all money, one of them directly resulted in a goal at least.

Just have to take them but it’s been a problem of his for some time

I reckon the pies have made a mistake moving on Grundy, their stoppage work is ordinary at best and think Cameron and the yank are just part timers in effectiveness in the ruck.
They both look like forward/rucks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He dropped at least three marks that he had for all money, one of them directly resulted in a goal at least.

Just have to take them but it’s been a problem of his for some time

I reckon the pies have made a mistake moving on Grundy, their stoppage work is ordinary at best and think Cameron and the yank are just part timers in effectiveness in the ruck.
They both look like forward/rucks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Grundy isn't a great tap ruckman. Gets lots of hitouts but not very many to advantage and a lot get sharked by opposition.

jsos a rest after 1 practice game? show your working please....

Big preseason, but also, would like to see a different setup and think Charlie would create havoc as the 3rd tall

watch it in slow mo mate- lots of new stuff was being tried out all over the place...
particularly interesting for me was

the CBB mix and rotations
how Carlton pretty much played long periods holding possession and playing territorial game
how for extended periods Collingwood were totally shut down moving the ball...

I got teh feeling that the side was well drilled in game plan for all parts of the field - massive change from previous years and expected as this was second pre-season now.

McGovern/Martin/Durdin/Marchbank will only strengthen the side - but the game plan and structures all over teh park looked very solid even within noobies filling in slots.

Watched it again this morning.

More of the same from last year, with some reinforced habits and some tweaks.

Our number one mantra coming out of the backline was retaining possession over speed, generally to areas of having the +1.

Once at HB/wing, the style changes to quick movement, generally with forward handball and or short hit ups, mostly wide due to the corridor being congested

Centre bounces, we rightly, want to go quick and long to even numbers, in the McKay/Curnow vicinity. Still, there is scope to look for shorter leading targets at times

Defensively, tactics were to also deny the corridor, with more pressure on distributors, and to interrupt their handball chains. We played a deeper sweeper as the Pies love the extra out the back. All 3 wingmen ran deep at both ends

We looked better with Doc taking some centre bounces, then playing as a defensive mid

Need to tidy up our foot disposal to players in the clear, examples of this were Charlie and LOB both times to Ed, Cerra and Cowan when deciding to go long

Still believe we are holding back a little. During our match sims, Harry, Charlie or Jsos were one of the outlets, leading hard to CHF-square, which we might see in the Swans game
My 2 point game plan for 2023.
1. They kick 2 in a row we do something very different at the next CB.
2. Don't hang onto a lead. Build it.
End.

This

1. One On-baller holding his ground behind the ruckman, to stop them coming out the front

2. Minimise turnovers by hitting shorter targets, slows opposition momentum

My 2 point game plan for 2023.
1. They kick 2 in a row we do something very different at the next CB.
2. Don't hang onto a lead. Build it.
End.

Agreed although it wasn’t the centre bounces we were losing that led to the 6 goal run on. We got a bit lazy defending the transition and Collingwood took a couple big risk plays bringing the ball into the corridor that paid off, not to mention they also kicked accurately to make the absolute most of the opportunities.

For me there were some really good signs on Friday most notably that aside from a 10 minute period in the second quarter we were very well set up to defend the transition - against a team that very good at quick transition play - and generally we were better for longer than last year.

The biggest issue for me was the goalkicking. Charlie, Cripps and SOS all missed set shot sitters, whilst TdK and Fisher missed two very gettable goals in open play. If we kick those goals we win easily. When Collingwood got their chances in the 2nd they were nailing them from everywhere.

I’ve mentioned this before but we still don’t have that opportunistic goal sneak who can occasionally kick 4 goals from 5 kicks - like Elliott, Papley, Stengle or Breust - so I fear we are always going to leave the door slightly open for opposition teams to get themselves back in because we haven’t made the most of our dominance.

I’ve mentioned this before but we still don’t have that opportunistic goal sneak who can occasionally kick 4 goals from 5 kicks - like Elliott, Papley, Stengle or Breust - so I fear we are always going to leave the door slightly open for opposition teams to get themselves back in because we haven’t made the most of our dominance.
Ours is Martin. Need him to be fit.

Nice hit out against a near full-strength opponent.

TDK is so Jekyl & Hyde. Moments of brilliance. Moments of sub-standard play. Seems to drift in and out of games mentally.

MOTLOP - looks strong. Fit. Full of confidence. Can't wait to see him working in tandem with Durds (the small one).

H - looks ready for a big season. Fit & strong. Getting up and down the ground easily.

Charlie - looked disinterested. Bring on Round 1!

JSOS - Agreed. After 7 years in the system he has to nail those set shots. Spoke about it on the night. He/we can't afford to miss them anymore. From memory he missed all 3 set shots. Not good enough. He has a terrific work ethic and creates opportunities. He has to take them.

Weiters and Young looked rusty. Young can't afford those clumsy free kicks anymore.

George, Cerra, Crippa, Kennedy were great. Big, strong boys who love the tough stuff. Find the ball easily. Use it well. Remembering a lot of their possessions are in the heat of battle. I can see Ed rotating in there as well, as we will sometimes need to lock down on the opposition prime mover (Prestia comes to mind as he loves playing against us). Also need cameo's from some quicker types - Fish and Dow come to mind. I know Dow is out of favour, but boy, we could use his point of difference. Hoping he smashes it in the VFL.

On Ed. I thought he moved really well. Is a lock for round 1.

Watched Doc chasing tail a lot of the day. A bit concerning because they ran away from him easily. Hoping he is in the middle of a massive training block.

Newman always looks so composed with ball in hand. Makes great decisions.

Saad cruised around in 2nd gear.

Thought we structured up well against the Pies. They found it difficult to play their run & carry game against us (except for that 10 minute lapse).

Hoping to see a few INS against the Swans this week.

We need McGovern and Durdin out there.

Martin and Marchbank would be a luxury.

Was at game and have also watched replay.

Bit disappointed with game. I had hoped we would see an improved, faster transition game and more rotations through midfield for depth. What i saw was a re-enforcement of what we did last year.

At the game it was noticeable how often we went forward through the wings, which is a continuation of last years approach. I had hoped we would be more adventurous with our transition forward.

Collingwood by contrast continue to play heavily through the centre corridor and move the ball very fast. We still look a bit slow. Leg spead our biggest weakness.

Acres was outstanding both offensively and even more so defensively. We will definitely play through him a lot. On the otherside o' brien was solid.

Cincotta did enough for round 1. Cowan wont be picked but showed plenty in his first outing. He was confident, strong and assured. Hollands looked terrific, his workrate and reading of play noticable. He is not physically ready but may sneak in while walsh is absent.

The hype on Motlop's improvement is justified. Along with Acres most impressive player of the day for me, outside of Harry.

Standard was really good and both teams showed they will win more than lose.
Totally agree with your take. I only saw incremental improvement. We looked like a side that might sneak into finals. Our transition by foot still lacks polish

I'd like to see what happens when we are challenged at stoppages to see whether we have a plan B defensive mode. IMO our structure at stoppages was all about us winning more than we lose which seems fine but it wastes our intercepting defenders which we have plenty of. Lose men at the stoppages means it's going forward in a controlled manner and that's not what the defenders want but is what the forwards want so it was a bit of a shootout at times which is not what we saw in Carlton v Collingwood games last season, Collingwood generally being a close checking pressure orientated team. Both sides allowing lose players out the back of stoppages and making it an easy take away game.

The biggest worry of the game was the enormous amounts of intercept marks against in our forward line. It's Collingwood's strength and when we apply the heat ours too. It's something to keep an eye on IMO. The time the ball spent in our forward line to me seemed low which was the same for them as well so it evened out but you don't want to be seeing the ball come out as quick as it goes in as often as this. That sort of thing burns out a team and leads to scores against. This will be something to work on during the season IMO.

Just on that, we started to kick the long ball into our forward higher later in the game which to me seemed like a ploy to overcome their intercept marking. Many years ago I was told if you were going to kick it long and blind to also kick it high so your team mate could get to it, perhaps it's coming from this line of thinking. Must make it a contest rather than an intercept.

I would not worry too much about lack of run, speed and play through the middle. We're missing some key speedsters and elite kicks such as McGovern, Walsh, Williams, Durdin, Martin, Cuningham, Boyd and Owies who is quick in a small space. Won't see a few of those names early but McGovern, Durdin and Martin make a difference, even Marchbank who has good endurance and leg speed. In saying that we need some of our quicker types to come on. Kemp, Hollands, Binns if they can go forward with their footy bring some pace to the side. Cincotta has some nice speed and a willingness to use it. Then that improves us a lot. Injuries to our speed department haven't helped here.

I think we will be hoping that Boyd and Walsh can come back into the team. Those two add a lot IMO. Walsh with his running and all round quality and Boyd with his running, intensity and field kicking. It all generates fast, hard to defend ball movement.

I think we were good but those who were out, it showed. As for game plan, it was crying out to evolve but IMO we haven't seen whether it has or not. Last year we showed we are vulnerable to sides who go one on one at the midfield contests and apply pressure and nullify our clearance game. We also showed we are vulnerable to intercept defenders which goes hand in hand with the first vulnerability as pressure around the contest sets them up to play lose and do as they please. I'm not too worried about our ball movement but I am worried about this. What I want to see the most is that this is no longer an issue for us. This is the challenge our coaching group and onfield leadership has to overcome to take the next step.

Big preseason, but also, would like to see a different setup and think Charlie would create havoc as the 3rd tall

Watched it again this morning.

More of the same from last year, with some reinforced habits and some tweaks.

Our number one mantra coming out of the backline was retaining possession over speed, generally to areas of having the +1.

Once at HB/wing, the style changes to quick movement, generally with forward handball and or short hit ups, mostly wide due to the corridor being congested

Centre bounces, we rightly, want to go quick and long to even numbers, in the McKay/Curnow vicinity. Still, there is scope to look for shorter leading targets at times

Defensively, tactics were to also deny the corridor, with more pressure on distributors, and to interrupt their handball chains. We played a deeper sweeper as the Pies love the extra out the back. All 3 wingmen ran deep at both ends

We looked better with Doc taking some centre bounces, then playing as a defensive mid

Need to tidy up our foot disposal to players in the clear, examples of this were Charlie and LOB both times to Ed, Cerra and Cowan when deciding to go long

Still believe we are holding back a little. During our match sims, Harry, Charlie or Jsos were one of the outlets, leading hard to CHF-square, which we might see in the Swans game

This

1. One On-baller holding his ground behind the ruckman, to stop them coming out the front

2. Minimise turnovers by hitting shorter targets, slows opposition momentum

I think Carlton was able to starve Collingwood of possession for large parts of the game- this is a huge change in game style and execution - to me anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back