Preview Practice Match v Collingwood Friday 24th Feb 11.00am @ Princes Park

Remove this Banner Ad

He dropped at least three marks that he had for all money, one of them directly resulted in a goal at least.

Just have to take them but it’s been a problem of his for some time

I reckon the pies have made a mistake moving on Grundy, their stoppage work is ordinary at best and think Cameron and the yank are just part timers in effectiveness in the ruck.
They both look like forward/rucks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I agree. They got a lot out of Cameron last year but still only a second ruck. Cox is even worse.

Not a lot of love for Mirkov. I actually thought he did well. Don't think he got beaten in a hitout. Would love to see him play those games against Gawn / Witts where Pitto is basically a spectator.

Once at HB/wing, the style changes to quick movement, generally with forward handball and or short hit ups, mostly wide due to the corridor being congested

We must have watched different games. 90 % of the time I thought they got to wing / half fwd then immediately bombed it up in the air.

I know it's part of the game plan (as per Ash Hansen) but it is ridiculous.

Cerra hardly did a single kick for the day which wasn't bombed blindly forward.

We aren't winning a premiership with that strategy. For starters it is just way to easy for opponents to predict.

We must have watched different games. 90 % of the time I thought they got to wing / half fwd then immediately bombed it up in the air.

We aren't winning a premiership with that strategy. For starters it is just way to easy for opponents to predict.
Only a practice match mate, I'd be more interested how they go about it in the next practice game.

Not sure if you were at the ground or watched it on TV, but I would recommend watching a replay

Last edited:
Why isn't Brodie Kemp playing in the senior practice matches?
I could be wrong, but I think he may have been on a modified training program during the preseason. In the open sessions, he's been involved in drills and some of the match sim, so he'd be more in recovery mode than injury.

He was there at the VFL game on Friday without taking part - as were a number of the other more 'senior' players on the VFL list. At a guess, they're slowly building him into early part the season, keeping in mind that the VFL have 3 more practice games. I'd imagine we'll see him in at least a few of those rather than our final hitout vs Swans.

I agree. They got a lot out of Cameron last year but still only a second ruck. Cox is even worse.

Not a lot of love for Mirkov. I actually thought he did well. Don't think he got beaten in a hitout. Would love to see him play those games against Gawn / Witts where Pitto is basically a spectator.
Mirkov is very raw. Going to take some time to develop him. People need to be patient

I could be wrong, but I think he may have been on a modified training program during the preseason. In the open sessions, he's been involved in drills and some of the match sim, so he'd be more in recovery mode than injury.

He was there at the VFL game on Friday without taking part - as were a number of the other more 'senior' players on the VFL list. At a guess, they're slowly building him into early part the season, keeping in mind that the VFL have 3 more practice games. I'd imagine we'll see him in at least a few of those rather than our final hitout vs Swans.
Does anyone know why Kemp missed the 2s game? He was named in the 2s squad on the website and as far as I know mainly from what I’ve read on here he was not under any injury concerns.

You're thinking of Marchbank. Kemp has done pretty much the whole preseason. Kemp was named in the VFL squad so presumably was going to play there. Maybe he had a last minute niggle and the club decided to be cautious?

I’ve mentioned this before but we still don’t have that opportunistic goal sneak who can occasionally kick 4 goals from 5 kicks - like Elliott, Papley, Stengle or Breust - so I fear we are always going to leave the door slightly open for opposition teams to get themselves back in because we haven’t made the most of our dominance.
Maybe we do have this player already. If Lemmey comes on like we hope he does, Charlie at 192cm doesn't make our forward line too tall.

HF: Martin McKay Charlie
FF: Motlop Lemmey Durdin

Would love Charlie roaming around taking the opposition's 3rd best defender.

Maybe we do have this player already. If Lemmey comes on like we hope he does, Charlie at 192cm doesn't make our forward line too tall.

I don’t think teams would put their 3rd best defender on Charlie even with lemmey in the side

Would like to see lemmey make it tho

A number of guys that will come in and or be in the mix for round 1

Likely inclusions for round 1, Gov, Durdin, Martin, Pitto

Still in the mix, Owies, Marchbank, Kemp, Carroll

Would really like Lemmey to come in against the Swans, give Jsos a rest, play Charlie as the 3rd tall
Your cred is on the line with Lemmey. 😁. You’ve been big on him from the get go.

How was Carroll in VfL game?

From the last 10 minutes of the first Quarter and all of the second Quarter he won every bounce ruck.He used his pace and Agility to win throw ins.Full year last year full preseason with ruck support he will dominate forward ruck and around the ground.Honourable mentions O’Brien stronger in the contest but also mentally stronger kicked a goal from 35m slight angle he should kick these but hasn’t always a lot of Collingwood players missed these.Honey took his chance from 45m set up by another honourable mention motlop one of my favs.
Positioned himself really well smart player his decision making is lightning now has a bit more core strength and fitness to contribute for longer.
I’ve always said him and Durdin are going to be deadly both great alone but three times the player together
TDk has previously been a well below par tap ruckman. Not near 50 percent win ratio. If he has improved this much it’s a game changer for him/us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We didn't necessarily just blindly bomb it forward, we were targeting the top of the goal square more often than not. It hadn't occured to me previously but now I feel this has been the case in match simulations as well, albeit the vision I've seen is limited.

It may become predictable for the opposition but it's predictable for our forwards as well. Provided we become smart and use space it creates, hit up leads when they're on etc. getting it in quick and deep to a predictable area is not a bad strategy. It's a good spot to turn it over even if they intercept, and I think this was probably a factor in their run not being as effective as we've seen it.

Point for me is Kemp should be in the 1s ahead of Plowman and in my best 23
Kemp hasn't shown the capacity to be able to defend dangerous small forwards like Plow can. Don't think they are fighting for the same role. I would have Kemp more competing with either Weitering/Young as KPDs or the third tall defender (Gov/Marchy).

This is my dream. Lemmey and TDK rotating between ruck and forward. Don't see why it can't happen this year if Lem keeps banging the goals in.

Bolton and Ralphsmith are their outside runners.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They have a few more, McIntosh is still very underrated by most

Bolton aside those mentioned are hardly world beaters. Shane Edwards was critical for them when they won flags providing run and carry and it’s no surprise they fell away a bit as he declined. Daniel Rioli to half back was a good move that gave them some run.

When they beat us last year they actually beat us at our own game - winning clearances and dominating field position and possession - so I’d be more worried how we handle that than their spread especially with Hopper and Taranto. It will be a good first up test of our development since last year how we handle them.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back