Prediction - Gold Coast Suns will fold by end of 2022 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

What do you mean if? The whole rationale behind GWS & GC was based on long term increases in revenue. Neither of these clubs as of today are in any way remotely capable of contributing more than they are costing the entire league. That appears to be understood and accepted by everyone except the bigfooty illuminati. TV stations still have to be cajoled at times to play Brisbane & Sydney H&A games into home markets - do you really think they're paying more for a couple of extra games that they are forced to show involving GWS / GC? Zero chance.

you need to look deeper pal. These clubs have provided a boom at grass roots level. The true effect of these clubs won’t be know for another 5-10 years but from what I’ve seen on the ground in both regions it’s working and working extremely well

you need to look deeper pal. These clubs have provided a boom at grass roots level. The true effect of these clubs won’t be know for another 5-10 years but from what I’ve seen on the ground in both regions it’s working and working extremely well

Which has exactly zero to do with the argument that they are making money for the league today. I'm not arguing for the abolition but let's get real, they are years off being a net gain in real terms (if ever). More Auskickers don't change that.

Which has exactly zero to do with the argument that they are making money for the league today. I'm not arguing for the abolition but let's get real, they are years off being a net gain in real terms (if ever). More Auskickers don't change that.

Ask yourself. In 10-15 years time who is going to be worth more value to the league? North, Saints, WB, Melb or GWS and GCS?

Ask yourself. In 10-15 years time who is going to be worth more value to the league? North, Saints, WB, Melb or GWS and GCS?

In 10-15 years? The same ones that are now.

Did this research last year, but here is the list of how much the clubs have received from the AFL since 2005

Western B 172.1
St Kilda 170.7
Nth Melbourne 161.1
Brisbane 159.3
Melbourne 154.4
Carlton 142.9
Port 141.1
Sydney 140.7
Richmond 139.9
Essendon 138.2
Collingwood 138.1
Hawthorn 133.0
Geelong 131.3
Freo 122.7
Adelaide 122.3
West Coast 121.8
GWS 121.0
Gold Coast 114.6

Neither of these clubs as of today are in any way remotely capable of contributing more than they are costing the entire league. That appears to be understood and accepted by everyone except the bigfooty illuminati. TV stations still have to be cajoled at times to play Brisbane & Sydney H&A games into home markets - do you really think they're paying more for a couple of extra games that they are forced to show involving GWS / GC? Zero chance.
Now this is just plain incorrect. BringBackTorps has done a lot of research into this topic and they found that:
The Age award-winning journalist & author Chip Le Grand (described by The Age as their "Chief Reporter") said the 9th game was worth an extra $54m pa; as did AFR journalist P. Durkin (both in Sept.2019, & both citing AFL sources. This is the first time, AFAIK, these claims were made as to the value of the 9th game).

Given the subsidy to each expansion club is around $22 million per year, there's a net gain of about $10 million from having 18 teams rather than 16. So they're already making money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you actually look at the numbers properly, St.Kilda are in serious serious trouble.

Been saying it for years and have been taken to task over it by Saints fans too (I get it, they will always be defensive & supportive of their club).

North & Footscray are also in the problem zone too.

Thing is, there is just too many clubs based in Melbourne/Victoria and this shutdown may bring forward some potential changes that the league were planning on doing much further down the track.

Gold Coast-Tweed Heads is the sixth largest city by population in the country so they will survive.

Last edited:
Did this research last year, but here is the list of how much the clubs have received from the AFL since 2005

Western B 172.1
St Kilda 170.7
Nth Melbourne 161.1
Brisbane 159.3
Melbourne 154.4
Carlton 142.9
Port 141.1
Sydney 140.7
Richmond 139.9
Essendon 138.2
Collingwood 138.1
Hawthorn 133.0
Geelong 131.3
Freo 122.7
Adelaide 122.3
West Coast 121.8
GWS 121.0
Gold Coast 114.6
Gold Coast and GWS started in 2009.

As a Freo fans I think it stinks that big Victorian clubs get more funding the Dockers.

Plus, any profits from West Coast and Fremantle go to the WAFC which is under funded by the AFL (West Coast providing the majority of funding).

The Victorian fans want to rid of the Suns but it’s the lower Melbourne that gets the majority of funding.

The four northern teams will increase the pie in the long time.

The current situation will just speed up what was always going to happen sooner rather than later, 2 melbourne clubs will fold.

If you were forced invest big money long term in 2 clubs of the 4, GC, GWS, NM, StK with profit/growth being the only desired outcome (obviously) who would you put your $ into?

The current situation will just speed up what was always going to happen sooner rather than later, 2 melbourne clubs will fold.

If you were forced invest big money long term in 2 clubs of the 4, GC, GWS, NM, StK with profit/growth being the only desired outcome (obviously) who would you put your $ into?
The Victorian clubs know and like having majority of clubs for political influence.

They will never allow a club to fold.

You realize it’s the VFL.

Careful you may upset a few. I said earlier in a thread that I’m glad this didn’t happen 10 yrs ago. We would be on that list

I can never get my head around people who want teams to fold. It is actually sad. They would prefer to see the salary cap and footy department spending rise over a club surviving. Just strange.
A couple of things I will say is that Docklands is what will save the comp as we know it and it’s the little Victorian clubs who have paid for that, All ten rich and poor Victorian clubs benefit from the smaller vic clubs, Distributions are usually just equalising bullshit draws (in Victoria between big and small clubs especially) and the northern clubs are the best hope for long term success and growth of the AFL. We need all clubs to survive and they will

Careful you may upset a few. I said earlier in a thread that I’m glad this didn’t happen 10 yrs ago. We would be on that list
The AFL's a business, they'll do what they have to to survive, as well they should, if that means culling clubs that aren't viable and have next to zero chance of growth/attracting new members to the game for the good of the majority the axe will fall IMO.
From what i read the same things happening in plenty of Australian businesses, in times like these unfortunately sentimentality goes out the window.

Gold Coast while underachieving has increased the Number of people playing the game.

It’s a good investment.

That's amazing. Gold Coast did that all by themselves? Funded by themselves? It had nothing to do with Brisbane being there for years, AFL funding and policy to encourage participation? It's entirely Gold Coast bringing in new people? Cool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back