Prediction - Gold Coast Suns will fold by end of 2022 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll put them in the same sentence for you. Richmond are the only team in history to lose a game after the siren by a kick from an NRL/Rugby player who was playing for the Gold Coast. Hahahahahahahahaha

Hahaha

Ha

Gloating about winning a game of football.

You know who else had a good winning record against Richmond?

University. It's a sign.

Gloating about winning a game of football.

You know who else had a good winning record against Richmond?

University. It's a sign.

For about a 30 year stretch there, everyone had a good winning record against Richmond. Not sure I get your point

Last edited:
If something has to give, and it is likely this will occur, then the AFL will seriously have to look at GC. When other clubs are bleeding how can the AFL continue to artificially prop up GC? To me it will be a no-brainer business question.

To those who say GC will survive you need to ask where will the money come from?
Reduced list sizes and soft cap. 100 mill there.
no more trips to Colorado though.

I think a bigger concern is that channel 7 is hemorrhaging money, so how are they going to pay their last couple years of TV rights??
It’s worth four times less, than what seven west media paid for it in 2011.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All 18 clubs & 14 AFLW teams are safe.

AFL has obtained a line of credit loan, up to $600m, offering DS as collateral.

MSM AFL experts are also predicting, from 2021, there will be very HEAVY cuts (not including player wages), on a permanent basis, to Football Department expenditures, & AFL HQ. Lists may also be reduced permanently to 35 players.

What do you mean if? The whole rationale behind GWS & GC was based on long term increases in revenue. Neither of these clubs as of today are in any way remotely capable of contributing more than they are costing the entire league. That appears to be understood and accepted by everyone except the bigfooty illuminati. TV stations still have to be cajoled at times to play Brisbane & Sydney H&A games into home markets - do you really think they're paying more for a couple of extra games that they are forced to show involving GWS / GC? Zero chance.
How much less would the broadcast rights be without those 2 extra games?

I am not arguing your point as i gave no idea how much extra coin these 2 clubs generate.

How much less would the broadcast rights be without those 2 extra games?

I am not arguing your point as i gave no idea how much extra coin these 2 clubs generate.

You mean the 1 extra game per week?

Yes. How much does that add to the broadcast rights across tv and radio.

Honestly how would we know? We know what we're told but the increase in the last rights was across the board, as was the increase from the previous rights. It's a pretty big assumption that this is strictly related to an extra game rather than what is more likely - that the existing clubs provide significant value compared to to the new ones.

Just to be clear, I'm not on here barracking for GWS / GC to go, to be blunt, I don't really care either way, but my honest opinion is that while experiencing a massive revenue downturn the AFL would be insane to double up on that and remove additional heartland clubs (and guaranteed revenue levels) while maintaining other clubs, with significantly higher year on year costs to the comp.

More general references to AFL cost cutting to Football Departments (not inc. player wages) & Player List sizes (to 30 or 35 per team only) from 2021.

These permanent massive cuts pa (likely to be a total of c. $100m+ pa) further ensure that the GCFC will exist forever.

It would make perfect sense to send st kilda up to the coast.
Afl in the past in times of struggle used crisis as an opportunity to better the game.
Gold coast are imperative to the afls future.
It cost a lot of money to get gws & the suns foot in the door.
You pull out of the gold cost you are writing a big investment off.
St kilda have been dragging the change forever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally 16 teams is perfect. 18 the talent is diluted
Another short-sighted view on the viability of GWS and GC that you always hear people say is that the talent in the league is 'too diluted' with 18 teams in the competition

If people simply recognise the improvement in participation in both NSW (up from 140,000 to 280,000 in 8 years since GWS was introduced) and QLD (up from 110,000 to 266,000 in 10 years since GC's introduction) since the two clubs inception they'd recognise an additional 300,000 or so people joining the potential AFL talent pool in the last 10 years alone - most of whom will begin being of draft eligible age in the next 5, 6, 7 years.

Given that the populations of Queensland and NSW are 52.1% of the country's total population you can easily understand why removing AFL influence in those states in the interests of both 'increasing the talent pool', and maintaining a NATIONAL competition would be really short-sighted.

You can reduce list size if that’s the worry

Gold Coast though I think is doomed for failure. It’s been a decade now and no growth
Please read all previous posts.
You can reduce list size if that’s the worry

Gold Coast though I think is doomed for failure. It’s been a decade now and no growth
It's not about list size. It is about the quality of best 22s.
You are comparing a decade of poor management in a limitless market to 100 years of poor management in a saturated market.

Graeme Samuel, who called for a series of mergers between Melbourne clubs in 1995 and was a proponent of mergers in the '80s and '90s before recanting, has contrasted the ability of the AFL and the ARL to survive the current coronavirus crisis. He said today that the AFL's ability to support weaker clubs, through a superior financial structure and superior management via a centralised administration, was a strength of the competition.

"That's part of the strength of the AFL, is that it's able to, you know, in normal circumstances, is able to sustain weaker clubs, those that don't have the strength of the Collingwoods and the Richmonds, the West Coast Eagles, and the Hawthorns.

"That's the great strength of the AFL and that's the role of the central body, is to maintain a successful, highly competitive competition.'

GC are at risk, as are other clubs and ultimately all clubs the longer this goes on. That's they key, if this gets cleaned up somehow and we somehow are playing footy later this year and can generate some revenue again, then clubs will survive.

If 2020 is a complete wipe off and 2021 is enormously compromised too and the economy continues to slump and we are still effectively locked down for many more months, then clubs that are costing too much money, without established market support are the first to go.

Or they could stop blowing money on the Women’s League? 🤔
The women's league has been the best thing the AFL has done in the past 50 years. It reinvigorated the game with a completely new market and lifted the profile 50 fold. In 20 years women's AFL will be a stand alone competition managed and run by women, paying its own way.

For those of you who are true sports lovers but always wanted to see how it all works behind the scenes, (and those that have Netflix) there is a brilliant documentary called 'Sunderland till I die'.
Season 2 is impressive stuff.
Sunderland were in the English Premier League. Got relegated to the English Championship, and then relegated again to English League 1 in consecutive seasons. A new owner has taken over the club and is trying to come to terms with life in League 1.

Absolutely riveting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back