Game Day Preliminary Final: Sydney v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope they keep MM in. Regardless of match ups elsewhere he's earned the right to play in the prelim by virtue of the Adelaide game, plus we really need another REAL forward up there as a target.

I'm a big Grundy fan, but I think LRT is more important down back to us ATM. It's a problem, but a good problem.

Hazah. Now that is the best post in the whole LRT - Grundy debate.Both players are good, both are not without their flaws but rather than just stamping a foot and going, see i tild you Grundy was s**t or I said LRT couldn't hold so and so, lets celebrate the fact we have the depth to choose here, it's sides with depth to choose rather than struggling to cover that win flags.

That said I still think now that Dawes wont play LRT against the pies is better up front. Ben Reid got to sweep the Eagles forwards last night because suprisingly they had a lack of targets, Lynch was a non factor, Kennedy couldnt get in the game, only Darling of the tall timber hurt them in any way. The Eagles only had the 43 inside 50s and many were shallow entries allowing the sweeper to dominate the defence.

By pitting LRT, Reid and Goodes up forward we can do what the Eagles did not, expose their back line depth and fitness and Motorn can run around the 50 meterr mark trying to make contest of nay short entry balls. If we keep there talls struggling up back there going to struggle to be able to throw one up forward and we can than blanket Cloke.

Hazah. Now that is the best post in the whole LRT - Grundy debate.Both players are good, both are not without their flaws but rather than just stamping a foot and going, see i tild you Grundy was s**t or I said LRT couldn't hold so and so, lets celebrate the fact we have the depth to choose here, it's sides with depth to choose rather than struggling to cover that win flags.

That said I still think now that Dawes wont play LRT against the pies is better up front. Ben Reid got to sweep the Eagles forwards last night because suprisingly they had a lack of targets, Lynch was a non factor, Kennedy couldnt get in the game, only Darling of the tall timber hurt them in any way. The Eagles only had the 43 inside 50s and many were shallow entries allowing the sweeper to dominate the defence.

By pitting LRT, Reid and Goodes up forward we can do what the Eagles did not, expose their back line depth and fitness and Motorn can run around the 50 meterr mark trying to make contest of nay short entry balls. If we keep there talls struggling up back there going to struggle to be able to throw one up forward and we can than blanket Cloke.
Yeah, I think a lot will hinge on whether Dawes plays or not in terms of our line up down back...I'm not afraid to say I have very little idea what our final line up will be, especially with Benny M still an outside chance to play??

As for Lynch, he was utterly invisible last night. You'd have to say that will be his last game for the Weagles I reckon?

Here's a curly one without notice. Would Syd- Na, surely not!;)

I'm in a weird place. I honestly don't think collingwood can beat hawthorn no matter what. Sydney however can. I don't want collingwood to lose another gf. So if you do win Friday I'll be barracking for the swannies in the gf like a most collingwood supporters would. Just seems fitting to break the drought against us in a prelim doesn't it? Should be a cracker game. Heart says collingwood will do the same thing they did last year and throw everything they got in the prelim and be running on empty in the grand final. Head says like most years, the team with the bye will win.

All the best for Friday night guys
Your honesty is refreshing.

The key to defeating Collingwood are:

1) Winning the contested ball, and
2) Each man to be accountable for his direct opponent

That said, I think we should keep LRT down back. Reg does not seem to match up well on Cloke, and our backline without him was superb against the Crows.

We need a bit of zip to win - we have to kick a winning score. We can't arm-wrestle our way to victory.

If LRT does start down back, who would take his place in the forward line? That is the conundrum that needs to be solved this week.

I'm a bit concerned about going into the game with too many talls against Collingwood particularly if the weather is crappy. They obviously want to bring Grundy back in and play LRT forward but the forward line is looking very top heavy. We will miss McGlynn. The ineffectiveness of the WC forward line last night showed how difficult it is to take contested marks up forward in finals. Collingwood have a lot of small clever players.
Anyway, I'm sure the selectors will get it right but generally they will stick with the same team and hope the players adapt. Looking forward to beating the pies though. It's been way too long.

The key to defeating Collingwood are:

1) Winning the contested ball, and
2) Each man to be accountable for his direct opponent

That said, I think we should keep LRT down back. Reg does not seem to match up well on Cloke, and our backline without him was superb against the Crows.

We need a bit of zip to win - we have to kick a winning score. We can't arm-wrestle our way to victory.

If LRT does start down back, who would take his place in the forward line? That is the conundrum that needs to be solved this week.

That's interesting. The Hawks employ a rolling zone against the pies with great effect.

The Eagles employed it last night but it was very stagnant and they held position to much and the pies cut a swayth through it in he 2nd half. Im not sure we have players who can entirely be held accountable for Swan, Beams, Sidebottom, Fasolo and Krakour all on pace.

I think Sam Reid will be very important for us on Friday. I imagine that he will match up on his brother Ben who has been cutting up sides lately. Instead of ben picking up easy possesions and starting their forward thrusts as he has been, I would be happy for Sam to play him close, try to out mark him but make him accountable and I'm sure Sam would love to prove something to his brother. Also I like that we have 3 players we can try on Cloke. Ted should take him first up but then we have Grundy & LRT we can swing onto him if he gets on top. Perhaps we should play LRT down back and swing Johnson forward for something different. Collingwood have beaten us regularily but last time it was only a couple of late goals that beat us. A good start like against Crows and then use the fact that we are fresher to run out the last quarter.

This game promises to be an emotional rollercoaster, and listening to all the media buildup is making me more nervous, and it's only Sunday! Might just turn off the radio and put down the newspapers till Friday.

If Dawes really does miss then it'll solve the Grundy on Cloke issue and allow us to try Richards on him. I feel much better with Grundy entering that contest third man up.

LRT needs to start forward just to give us another target and allow Goodes to play McGlynn's roving midfield / forward role. It was so frustrating to watch us bomb it in aimlessly last time we played them.

Swan and Thomas are bonuses for them since last time but I still think the two midfield groups will neutralise each other and create enough opportunities as they always do. The match will be won on how well each forward set-up capitalises on their entries.

Watching the Eagles bomb it long and seeing a Pie marking it made me feel sick, as if I was watching a preview of Friday night.

What the Eagles did show is that the Pies can be absolutely be destroyed down the wing. They had so many clear runs, just their delivery to the 50 let them down, and the lack of a crumbing small forward killed them.

I'm confident we have them covered inside, we just need a huge game from Jetta, and nice clean hands up front. Lower the eyes boys!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in a weird place. I honestly don't think collingwood can beat hawthorn no matter what. Sydney however can. I don't want collingwood to lose another gf. So if you do win Friday I'll be barracking for the swannies in the gf like a most collingwood supporters would. Just seems fitting to break the drought against us in a prelim doesn't it? Should be a cracker game. Heart says collingwood will do the same thing they did last year and throw everything they got in the prelim and be running on empty in the grand final. Head says like most years, the team with the bye will win.

All the best for Friday night guys

Good post. My brother is a Pies member and said exactly the same thing last week.

I re watched the last Swans/Pies clash at ANZ.

The intensity was good from the Swans in that match but could have been a lot better. I think that game was the start of the real learning curve for the Swans of what it takes in 2012 to go all the way. Since than, the team has improved immensely in absorbing pressure, applying their own and than running to space. With the Pies and Hawks again in front of us it will be interesting to see how the players respond.

I know the Pies have also improved since that game but, cliche as it is, if we can put the heat on for a full four quarters than we should take back 10 of the 11 losses. (its a preliminary final - imo it worth 10) And lets face it, we need to be at this level if we are going to be in the hunt of knocking off Hawthorn.

Well played Eagles. Building a really good team. Go Swans.

Im confident we can do it, we are in way better form than the pies, we have the players to do it and the weeks rest. that was a massive hit out v the eagles for the pies they will feel that v us, there was nothing there that concerned me, pies forward line is poor, cloke struggles and we have a fantastic set up down back,

sam reid will be critical, looks like didak and dawes are out, both are in poor form anyway,

mummy will do the job on mummy and they dont have anyone to counter goodes.

im confident going into this one.

On the swans wagon now. Have a good win on Friday night then go on to glory at the G!

Fancing seeing you here without a tag QS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back