Premiership trophy cabinets

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know how they work out trophy viewing now , but I've done tours of the club at Waverly , I held every cup up to just after 1991 flag and held the very first one 1961 standing with the great man Graham Arthur .
My sandgroper born youngest sons, have done the same . Its great.

But I've sort of looked at it this way, when we all rubbish the commercial side of footy including the AFL, then we see how some clubs are in financial difficulty , then maybe clubs have to lock up what ever and charge for people to see it. I saw the old Hawks museum at Glenferrie on the day with the 1961 cup, we were also at the old club social club rooms , we had a feed there too.

The game is so much about finances these days , its a huge pity , too many teams trying to stay alive and new ones being given a foot up.

I think nothing will be free any more, all clubs send out advertising for club merchandise, every thing is expensive , and I'm a country member ( no jokes) but I see the Hawks once or twice over a two year period, Bit more time on my hands may just get back over home a bit more next season.

Hey guys, I have some questions in regard to the design of the current premiership cup.
As you may have seen, some of the pictures show certain cups with a wooden block underneath them, some don't. Could someone outline what determined what cups had the wooden block as well as the silver plaque that what screwed onto it. Judging from the cups I have seen, the plaque is either of the current VFL/AFL logo or the names of the premiership team.

The wooden block is just to mount the cup for display.
When presented at the Grand Final the block is not yet attached.

Yes, it used to be in the social club in the bad old days

The Hawk's Premiership Cups are no longer kept in the Boardroom.

An new cabinet has been built in the foyer at Waverley Park so anyone entering the Hawk's part of the complex can see them (the cabinet design is similar to the Carlton one displayed earlier in this thread).

A little off topic, I know, but I was out at Waverley recently to visit the Hawksnest and decided to visit the Museum as well. Peter Haby, our Curator, has done a magnificent job with the setup. I only spent an hour there but could have stayed much longer. It's great that Clubs are proudly displaying their heritage for the fans to appreciate. My 2 boys (aged 14 & 8 years) have a much greater appreciation of the history of the Hawks as a result of several visits to the Museum.

Hey guys, I have some questions in regard to the design of the current premiership cup.
As you may have seen, some of the pictures show certain cups with a wooden block underneath them, some don't. Could someone outline what determined what cups had the wooden block as well as the silver plaque that what screwed onto it. Judging from the cups I have seen, the plaque is either of the current VFL/AFL logo or the names of the premiership team.

Image036.jpg

The wooden block is just to mount the cup for display.
When presented at the Grand Final the block is not yet attached.

1984 is an exception to this. For some reason the cup was presented to Daniher and Sheedy with the mounting block attached.

Freo have stashed ours away so carefully that no one now seems to be able to find them! :D

The Hawk's Premiership Cups are no longer kept in the Boardroom.

An new cabinet has been built in the foyer at Waverley Park so anyone entering the Hawk's part of the complex can see them (the cabinet design is similar to the Carlton one displayed earlier in this thread).

130403_premcups.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see Fremantle's trophy cabinet. Also where does St Kilda keep 27 wooden spoons
Probably in their kitchen.
Good to see you chaps are taking the mickey out of the situation.

Hate to break it to you. Freo won a legit trophy in 2015 called the Mcclelland trophy.

So no more stupid Freo empty trophy cabinet jokes.

Good to see you chaps are taking the mickey out of the situation.

Hate to break it to you. Freo won a legit trophy in 2015 called the Mcclelland trophy.

So no more stupid Freo empty trophy cabinet jokes.

Just curious... Have you ever seen what the McClelland trophy looks like?

The McClelland trohpy was formerly the aggregate points award, but since the demise of reserves and u19s has just been a minor premiers award. I think 1991 was the first year of the new criteria.

There are two parts to the McClelland Trophy. The main board that stays at AFL House, and a block of wood awarded to the winners.

Given that the block of wood still has the old AFL logo design on it, I don't think the clubs get to keep it. Looks like it might just be kept in their possession for the year.

image.jpg image.jpg

The McClelland trohpy was formerly the aggregate points award, but since the demise of reserves and u19s has just been a minor premiers award. I think 1991 was the first year of the new criteria.

There are two parts to the McClelland Trophy. The main board that stays at AFL House, and a block of wood awarded to the winners.

Given that the block of wood still has the old AFL logo design on it, I don't think the clubs get to keep it. Looks like it might just be kept in their possession for the year.

View attachment 293845 View attachment 293847
What happened in 1985?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back