Premiership trophy cabinets

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread has turned into a bit of a pissing contest like normal. Lets get a few facts straight -

The VFL/AFL has been around since 1897, it changed its name in 1990. At no point did the AFL or any of the clubs mention or agree to forfeiting their past achievements as apart of the name change.

The clubs won every single cup fair and square in the same competition we call the AFL today. Every interstate club joined this competition.

A VFL cup is just as important as a AFL cup and is more important than an SANFL, WAFL or preseason cup. winning 14 VFL cups and 2 AFL cups is much more impressive than winning 3 AFL cups.

This thread has turned into a bit of a pissing contest like normal. Lets get a few facts straight -

The VFL/AFL has been around since 1897, it changed its name in 1990. At no point did the AFL or any of the clubs mention or agree to forfeiting their past achievements as apart of the name change.

The clubs won every single cup fair and square in the same competition we call the AFL today. Every interstate club joined this competition.

A VFL cup is just as important as a AFL cup and is more important than an SANFL, WAFL or preseason cup. winning 14 VFL cups and 2 AFL cups is much more impressive than winning 3 AFL cups.

It is a shame that those that won premierships do not respect those times. If they won a pennant or a cup or a dinner for two so what. Why would you need to rewrite history and award them a cup?

This is where Port's AFL trophy is, by the front entrance:
23synbr.jpg

It is a shame that those that won premierships do not respect those times. If they won a pennant or a cup or a dinner for two so what. Why would you need to rewrite history and award them a cup?

I dont know what you got out of what I said but it was nothing about rewarding cups to people....

A pity. I used to enjoy a beer or three before the footy sitting next to the 2002 cup.

Still possible at the new social club. Been there a couple of times (not bad for a Sydneysider) and was pretty impressed.

essendon's 2 glass columns

2mm6ahi.jpg

Best looking display iv seen so far.

Taking a lot of pride to show off your success.

Seriously about Freo's...do they have anything with maybe club treasures in it...kinda like Norths as they have things other than premierships.

Honestly...West Coasts looks like a cheap wall unit from the early 90's with fake vinyl wood grain and even them clicky open/close things on the glass doors.

Could just be the photo but, well it does look like it.

Only Essendon and Melbourne appear to show any respect for their achievements.

Here is what Red Star Belgrade's museum in Serbia looks like, as an example of how to show off a clubs achievements:

bg-Zvezda-muzej.jpg

At the top of the pyramid are the European Trophy (now Champs League) and World Club Cup trophy.

Here is what Red Star Belgrade's museum in Serbia looks like, as an example of how to show off a clubs achievements:

bg-Zvezda-muzej.jpg

At the top of the pyramid are the European Trophy (now Champs League) and World Club Cup trophy.

Yeah thats nice...but in soccer, arnt there like 10 different levels of championship or something...so really...the only 2 that matter are...the world cup, and the highest annual trophy...the rest are like McClellands, Reserves VFL, TAC cups etc etc...i couldnt give a fat rats if we displayed bellarine premierships in with the others. Its the major AFL Premiership that we worry about.

For some reason, soccer teams care about an F'Grade local league cup. It would be like Hawthorn making a big fuss about box hill 3rds win from 1976. Its a bit bizzare.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bg-Zvezda-muzej.jpg

Interesting .. even if it looks like a carousel at Luna Park

Yeah thats nice...but in soccer, arnt there like 10 different levels of championship or something...so really...the only 2 that matter are...the world cup, and the highest annual trophy...the rest are like McClellands, Reserves VFL, TAC cups etc etc...i couldnt give a fat rats if we displayed bellarine premierships in with the others. Its the major AFL Premiership that we worry about.

For some reason, soccer teams care about an F'Grade local league cup. It would be like Hawthorn making a big fuss about box hill 3rds win from 1976. Its a bit bizzare.

After being in there I can tell you that outside of the euro and world club cups there are 23 Yugoslav/Serbian league titles and roughly the same number of cup competition trophies there too. Yes, there are many mickey mouse cups there. That being said, I've got photos of old vsf pennants, koalas from Adelaide, plaques from Perth and sydney that were also on display. It's a museum, so the got lots of history in there.

Amazing how you just jumped to poo it like its nothing.

Amazing how you just jumped to poo it like its nothing.

Not really, I did say its nice...i just dont get why they would care about showing off 23 junior league cups with all their major league stuff a well.

Its a matter of opinion of course, but as i said, i dont go around quoting how many AFL, VFL, VFL 2nds, 3rds, U18, TAC, Bellarine League and U11 premierships we have won.

Personally, if people are involved in a premiership sometime in their lives, thats fine cos its not like everyone gets to play AFL seniors. Same as every some countries may never win a world cup...but if you win a world cup and the highest form of championship in your country, who cares about minor league things.

Im probably goong to cop it for saying this, but, its the same as port showing off their 36 SANFL flags with the AFL flag.

It would make a hell of a tattoo trying to get all the league titles and years.

The "family club" of Hawthorn like to keep their trophies in a cabinet away from the prying eyes of their "family"?

I would have thought they would put at least some of them in the museum they have there at Waverley. That is surprising. poor effort Hawthorn. Carlton's used to be on display for the public...haven't checked for a while but it reminds me the last time we won a premiership was a long, long time ago. 1995. very sad.
Question . How can Essendon have sixteen premiership cups , when I think Hawthorn got the first cup in 1961, before that they were presented with something else . A flag perhaps.
Now maybe thats incorrect but someone will say.

Question . How can Essendon have sixteen premiership cups , when I think Hawthorn got the first cup in 1961, before that they were presented with something else . A flag perhaps.

pretty sure a year or two ago the AFL presented all clubs with retrospective cups

Not really, I did say its nice...i just dont get why they would care about showing off 23 junior league cups with all their major league stuff a well.

Its a matter of opinion of course, but as i said, i dont go around quoting how many AFL, VFL, VFL 2nds, 3rds, U18, TAC, Bellarine League and U11 premierships we have won.

Personally, if people are involved in a premiership sometime in their lives, thats fine cos its not like everyone gets to play AFL seniors. Same as every some countries may never win a world cup...but if you win a world cup and the highest form of championship in your country, who cares about minor league things.

Im probably goong to cop it for saying this, but, its the same as port showing off their 36 SANFL flags with the AFL flag.

It would make a hell of a tattoo trying to get all the league titles and years.

seconds and thirds and u18s etc are not seniors though, that is the difference between port and geelong here. our senior flags in the SANFL still mean a great deal to us as it is our club that we saw win all those and then join the league after years of tomfoolery. maybe people who get upset with us claiming them as senior flags just don't understand that just because they are senior flags doesn't mean they are equal to AFL flags because they obviously are not, coming from the state competition.

i dont get some of your logic though, why would you suddenly not care about club achievements if you won the world cup? to some people club is more important than country.

and just for the sake of the thread, not sure if there are pictures of alberton in here but the trophies on display there is a sight to behold. senior trophies that is..! the one AFL cup is right at the entrance with the jumper we wore and other mementos like a picture frame in the same box.

Seeing as Geelongs is so accessible, can't anyone just dick down their quickly and snap a picture? :p

Image038.jpg

Image037.jpg

Image036.jpg

There is a little note on the base for the 2011 cup saying that it is out celebrating with the community, or something along those lines.

pretty sure a year or two ago the AFL presented all clubs with retrospective cups

Yep in 2009 the AFL presented cups retrospectively. If you look in the Geelong cabinet, the second row on the right is the 1963 cup, which looks quite old and even a slightly different shape. All the ones before it look brand new. There is a plaque on the bases of these cups saying when they were presented and for which triumph. It also said when the first cup was presented, which from memory was 1959.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back