Premiership trophy cabinets

Remove this Banner Ad

The wooden block is just to mount the cup for display.
When presented at the Grand Final the block is not yet attached.

It certainly was inthe 1980's..check out premiership photos of the time.

Or check out www.heyhey.tv where the 1985 premiership chup is brought in, wooden block included, into the Hey hey studios that night.

Please tell me it looks like a wooden spoon...
no it doesnt.
Just curious... Have you ever seen what the McClelland trophy looks like?
yes i have
Hang on they still have this?

I thought the McLlelland was awarded for best aggregated performance by seniors, reserves and u19 teams.

Is is just now the.minor premiers award?
that was until 1990. 1991 onwards its given to the team that finishes top of the ladder.
The McClelland trohpy was formerly the aggregate points award, but since the demise of reserves and u19s has just been a minor premiers award. I think 1991 was the first year of the new criteria.

There are two parts to the McClelland Trophy. The main board that stays at AFL House, and a block of wood awarded to the winners.

Given that the block of wood still has the old AFL logo design on it, I don't think the clubs get to keep it. Looks like it might just be kept in their possession for the year.

View attachment 293845 View attachment 293847
Glad freo got one. Not exactly the AFL premiership but something to put in our cabinet.

no it doesnt.

yes i have
that was until 1990. 1991 onwards its given to the team that finishes top of the ladder.

Glad freo got one. Not exactly the AFL premiership but something to put in our cabinet.
So had Cats not dropped soft games to Carlton and Saints we could have secured this years McLlelland?

Noooooooooooooooo

no it doesnt.

yes i have

I love how the Victorian clubs want to include their VFL flags in the AFL competition which actually began officially in 1990. Maybe Fremantle should start including the 42 WAFL flags that the two Fremantle clubs have won together, or the one that Peel won on the weekend?

clubs are free to acknowledge their history however they see fit. If Fremantle feel it's necessary to fill the bare space of their trophy cabinet with WAFL cups then so be it. Same goes with Geelong and their VFA flags.

The AFL ruled on this earlier in the season.

I love how the Victorian clubs want to include their VFL flags in the AFL competition which actually began officially in 1990. Maybe Fremantle should start including the 42 WAFL flags that the two Fremantle clubs have won together, or the one that Peel won on the weekend?
This doesn't have to be an "Us against them" argument. The AFL evolved out of the VFL. It's actually quite simple. Can't we all just get along and accept some teams won premierships when there were 12 teams or less. If we all want to feel better about it, we can alway say we've won "x amount out of x"

All of the clubs Premiership Cups are in a two large two sided cabinet outside the MCG at the Foxtel Footy festival

CtbAk0bWcAAZ6Sw.jpg

Ctah-5VWEAAde7M.jpg

Ctah-5WWcAEF9gL.jpg

The "family club" of Hawthorn like to keep their trophies in a cabinet away from the prying eyes of their "family"?

I would have thought they would put at least some of them in the museum they have there at Waverley. That is surprising. poor effort Hawthorn.
So the salt towards Hawthorn started before the three peat...

And yes, we put them on display now.

The McClelland trohpy was formerly the aggregate points award, but since the demise of reserves and u19s has just been a minor premiers award. I think 1991 was the first year of the new criteria.

There are two parts to the McClelland Trophy. The main board that stays at AFL House, and a block of wood awarded to the winners.

Given that the block of wood still has the old AFL logo design on it, I don't think the clubs get to keep it. Looks like it might just be kept in their possession for the year.

View attachment 293845 View attachment 293847

Those last two columns look kinda weird with the varying fonts and layouts. The 3 Port ones are all different. Surely its not that hard to get some consistency.

Pretty poor by the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see you chaps are taking the mickey out of the situation.

Hate to break it to you. Freo won a legit trophy in 2015 called the Mcclelland trophy.

So no more stupid Freo empty trophy cabinet jokes.
Mcclelland trophy, Peel Thunder premiership, Hasleby and Palmer rising stars and the 2001 Wooden spoon, the collection is growing :)

But the AFL is the VFL. If we followed your logic then the Western Bulldogs are a separate club to Footscray.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back