Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Show which 'big successful clubs are never pessimistic'?

Firstly you used an absolute to make your claim?

Secondly, name the club and I will show you examples, with ease.
Animated GIF

The thing that annoys me about it is that the big successful clubs are never pessimistic. Pessimism is loser club mentality and perpetuates a cycle of underperformance. Some people seem to enjoy us being s**t, and the best way to keep that cycle going is to have a fan base that constantly shits all over the club and abuses the players so they don't enjoy playing together
Did you miss Carlton fans spitting on their players last year?

Did you miss Carlton fans spitting on their players last year?

I would say Carlton are a loser club, especially this century. I'm talking premierships, not memberships. The loser teams tend to have toxic fanbase that shit all over the players and perpetuate a cycle of underperformance. Carlton and St Kilda are actually good examples of this, and it was a big issue for Richmond for a long time. Club culture is hard to define, but a fan base that is perpetually negative and criticising the club is in no way good for it. It is absolutely a chicken and egg scenario, but it gets ingrained after a while and is bad for the club

I do think the eagles fans in particular overestimate the impact that their support has on the club, but I'm not actually talking about that. I'm talking about the negative impact of having fans that constantly shit all over everything. Henry left because of all the abuse he was copping, how can anyone justify being overly critical, negative, abusive and whiney

I would say Carlton are a loser club, especially this century. I'm talking premierships, not memberships. The loser teams tend to have toxic fanbase that s**t all over the players and perpetuate a cycle of underperformance. Carlton and St Kilda are actually good examples of this, and it was a big issue for Richmond for a long time. Club culture is hard to define, but a fan base that is perpetually negative and criticising the club is in no way good for it. It is absolutely a chicken and egg scenario, but it gets ingrained after a while and is bad for the club

I do think the eagles fans in particular overestimate the impact that their support has on the club, but I'm not actually talking about that. I'm talking about the negative impact of having fans that constantly s**t all over everything. Henry left because of all the abuse he was copping, how can anyone justify being overly critical, negative, abusive and whiney
I think to get people onboard with this thinking, you're going to need some pretty compelling evidence.

IKR. It worked well in 2022 and the back end of 2023. We're not far off it, if it clicks, which it may well do early, then we can beat anyone.
Win the ball in the middle more often than not, then the ball is in your court.
I think we will do that if the mid stocks hold, and win more than lose, regardless of where the fwd and def lines rank.
It's always been about the middle and always will be.
Amen.

BF is a discussion forum, not a fan forum. If you want a North Korea style fan forum where our dear leaders and mighty players are always right and will smite the pitiful enemy in every battle, Dockerland is for you.

EFA.

Win the ball in the middle more often than not, then the ball is in your court.
I think we will do that if the mid stocks hold, and win more than lose, regardless of where the fwd and def lines rank.
It's always been about the middle and always will be.
Amen.
There’s some truth to this, notwithstanding its simplicity. You watch that Pies game at the G last year, they were waltzing it out of the guts in the second and piled on something like 10 goals to none. Wasn’t until we challenged them in the middle that we stemmed the bleeding.

There’s some truth to this, notwithstanding its simplicity. You watch that Pies game at the G last year, they were waltzing it out of the guts in the second and piled on something like 10 goals to none. Wasn’t until we challenged them in the middle that we stemmed the bleeding.
It's not always the case, match to match, as ball efficiency and scoring more from fewer opportunities obviously happens but over the distance, winning out the middle bears the most consistent results.

The thing that annoys me about it is that the big successful clubs are never pessimistic. Pessimism is loser club mentality and perpetuates a cycle of underperformance. Some people seem to enjoy us being s**t, and the best way to keep that cycle going is to have a fan base that constantly shits all over the club and abuses the players so they don't enjoy playing together
Richmond fans prior to their success were some of the most pessimistic going around.

Some ridiculous theories being spouted here in the last few pages.
We have zero influence on this forum on how the team perform. Zilch. Nothing. Nada. Don’t delude yourselves. What we say here means Jack shit to how the team will perform.
Some of the worst vitriol I’ve ever seen from fans towards their club on BF is over on the pies board too by the way.

Regarding the freo board here being too negative on our chances - to me it’s been a perfect preseason in terms of fan expectation. We all looked like ****ing idiots after last years delusion and hubris in the pre season thread. Constructive criticism is totally fine and the cornerstone of any high quality discussion forum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can people understand that having 3 kids no older then 21 as key forwards was the reason our ball movement was slow. They are under sized and can’t get the proper separation from big key backs so it limits how fast we can move the ball when there is no one to kick to. Best example was the swans away game last year our 3 fwds where bigger then the defenders and we dominated them. I believe in JL and think as long as we improve deserves a 2 year contract extension you can’t speed up Growth. we will dominate when Jye Jackson and Josh play 100 games

well we all know how JL loves to ruin a kids debut game by making him sub....
Yeah, I don't agree with you about that.

On another note, how Longmuir manages the midfield will determine his future as a coach.

He has;
  • all the pieces in place to create a dominant midfield at the contest. Fyfe, Brodie, Young and Serong in particular are primed to win most hard ball contests.
  • he has genuine weapons in there to propel us forward. Young, Brayshaw and Jackson are offensive minded
  • he has the players to improve our midfield/forward connection
  • he has depth to cover reasonable injury or form issues
  • he has selection options to manage players such as Fyfe, Brodie, Johnson and Erasmus ti ensure he is getting the best out of them
  • He has list options to create some
strategic moves. MJ and Erasmus are ready to impact and provide only a minor difference between our A team mids and our B team.
  • he has players who are genuinely multi positional. Young and Jackson are genuine first choices in positions outside of their midfield roles. Johnson projects to be in the same category.
  • he has a ruck duo which is top tier, aggressive, and of his choosing
  • the loss of Henry is mitigated by the recruitment of Sharp.

We win or lose this season depending on how the coach manages the midfield.

Can people understand that having 3 kids no older then 21 as key forwards was the reason our ball movement was slow. They are under sized and can’t get the proper separation from big key backs so it limits how fast we can move the ball when there is no one to kick to.
With all due respect, it’s actually the opposite. Fast ball movement allows for easier separation as it doesn’t allow the opposition to set up behind the ball giving the forwards more space to move to get that separation.

There’s no doubt our forwards will get better with age in losing their opponent & hopefully that coincides with our skill level improving as a team that allows us to hit that kick which moves the ball on quicker. It’s also the responsibility of the receiver to get in the right position, which is just as important as the kick.

As your suggesting the more we play & train together as a group, the better we’ll get.

With all due respect, it’s actually the opposite. Fast ball movement allows for easier separation as it doesn’t allow the opposition to set up behind the ball giving the forwards more space to move to get that separation.

There’s no doubt our forwards will get better with age in losing their opponent & hopefully that coincides with our skill level improving as a team that allows us to hit that kick which moves the ball on quicker. It’s also the responsibility of the receiver to get in the right position, which is just as important as the kick.

As your suggesting the more we play & train together as a group, the better we’ll get.
You can say that but if you look at our best wins last year
Bombers swans hawks x2 eagles Geelong x2 they all have undersized defenders so our fwds are able to get on top and ball is able to move quicker

I think the correct argument is that, in general, if there isn't sufficient quality movement up field from both the mids and forwards, it is really difficult to move the ball. There's a reason why Sonny was yelling at blokes to move in the match sim last week.

The inexperience of the forwards is probably a contributing factor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back