Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Fremantle Dockers track watch: First to fourth-year players return to pre-season as wing race heats up​

Fremantle’s first to fourth-year players returned to pre-season training on Monday, kicking off with a gruelling time trial. ELIZA REILLY reports on the Dockers’ wing intrigue, which senior players returned early and a noticeable absentee.

3 min read
November 13, 2023 - 4:11PM

Nathan O'Driscoll is a candidate for the wing spot. Picture: Matt King/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

Nathan O'Driscoll is a candidate for the wing spot. Picture: Matt King/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

Fremantle’s first to fourth-year players returned to pre-season training on Monday, officially kicking off the Dockers’ 2024 preparations.
This is what we saw.

Wing race heating up​

What better way to stake your claim for Fremantle’s vacant wing position than three, back-to-back, one kilometre time trials to kick off day one of pre-season.
The departure of Liam Henry to St Kilda during the off-season has left the Dockers with yet another wing conundrum. But there are plenty of players lining up to take Henry’s spot with several young Dockers exhibiting their endurance capacity at training.
Karl Worner won one of the three time trials. Picture: Fremantle FC

Karl Worner won one of the three time trials. Picture: Fremantle FC

Karl Worner won the first of the three time trials. The 21-year-old made his debut last season after sustained form in the WAFL. He certainly has the running capacity to play on the wing, evidenced by his underage career at Oakleigh. But he’s been more of a half-back in his two seasons at the Dockers.
Michael Frederick took out the second sprint after charging ahead of Worner late. Fremantle has flirted with the idea of pushing Frederick higher up the ground in the past few seasons but he’ll likely be required as a stay at home forward in 2024 after Lachie Schultz requested a shock trade to Collingwood.
Nathan O’Driscoll won the final time trial, holding off Frederick in a punishing sprint to the finish. O’Driscoll, 21, was a first-choice wingman for the Dockers in 2022, playing 12 games in his debut season including Fremantle’s two finals. But he managed just 10 last year after falling out of favour.
O’Driscoll seems the likeliest candidate and he ran strongly in all three intervals. Neil Erasmus also has a strong endurance base and finished third twice but is more suited to an inside role. The same can be said of Matthew Johnson who remained a constant presence in the top five. Second-year NGA graduate Conrad Williams also featured towards the top end of each run but is still probably too slight for the AFL.
Sebit Kuek is on the mend from a knee injury. Pic: Fremantle FC

Sebit Kuek is on the mend from a knee injury. Pic: Fremantle FC

Taking it easy​

Forgotten Docker Heath Chapman headlined a list of players who were resigned to rehab on day one after an injury-ravaged 2023.
Chapman, 21, played just three AFL games and three WAFL games this season after a luckless run with injury, suffering calf, hamstring and shoulder issues throughout the year.
Yet the 2020 first-round draft pick has been touted as a potential replacement for Henry on the wing with his combination of size (193cm) and endurance lending itself to that of a modern AFL midfielder. Chapman however spent the morning away from the main group, forgoing the chance to stake his claim in the time trials.
Defender Brandon Walker has resumed running in a positive start to his 2024 preparations after his year ended with a horror patella tendon tear. Exciting forward Sebit Kuek was limited as he recovers from an ACL sustained in the WAFL earlier year. While forward Tom Emmett and wingman Ethan Stanley also trained away from the main group.
[PLAYERCARD]Michael Walters[/PLAYERCARD] was one of the veterans who returned to training early. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images

Michael Walters was one of the veterans who returned to training early. Picture: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images

Senior stars return early​

A spattering of senior players returned to training earlier than required to get a head start on their 2024 preparations.
The group was led by veteran forward Michael Walters, the oldest player on Fremantle’s list aged 32. As always, Walters led by example, his voice and leadership evident throughout the session.
Sam Sturt, Jordan Clark, Bailey Banfield, Brennan Cox and leader Sam Switkowski also returned ahead of schedule, with the remainder of Fremantle’s cohort to officially resume in a fortnight.
Coach [PLAYERCARD]Justin Longmuir[/PLAYERCARD] is on a trip to the US. Picture: James Worsfold/Getty Images

Coach Justin Longmuir is on a trip to the US. Picture: James Worsfold/Getty Images

Where’s the coach?​

Head coach Justin Longmuir was a noticeable absentee on day one of pre-season. But there’s a good reason for his non-appearance.
Longmuir is currently in the United States with a select group of Fremantle’s players undertaking a leadership and development tour. The group, which includes Sean Darcy, Caleb Serong, Alex Pearce and Hayden Young, have spent the trip visiting sporting organisations like the Dallas Cowboys.
The group is set to return later this week. Next year shapes as a crucial year for Longmuir, with the soon to be fifth year coach out of contract at the end of 2024.

I was wondering where Young and Serong were.
Interesting that Chapman was not running with the main group

Whet today with my son. So we talked more that watched.
I hope Amiss had a few problems In the off season, because he was way off the pace in today's time trial.
We walked around to watch the rehab group. Walker has been busy in the gym and looked and moved great.
Stanley has put some muscle, but still has a way to go. He moved well and looked like he was so happy just to be out there training. He could become my favourite player, either at peel or if he gets a run in the best 22.
Just on Fredy, I'm not sure how much sprinting affects endurance, or vice versa, but either way he is my early tip as someone who could go to the next level.

Whet today with my son. So we talked more that watched.
I hope Amiss had a few problems In the off season, because he was way off the pace in today's time trial.
We walked around to watch the rehab group. Walker has been busy in the gym and looked and moved great.
Stanley has put some muscle, but still has a way to go. He moved well and looked like he was so happy just to be out there training. He could become my favourite player, either at peel or if he gets a run in the best 22.
Just on Fredy, I'm not sure how much sprinting affects endurance, or vice versa, but either way he is my early tip as someone who could go to the next level.
We need Amiss to kick goals so not too worried he is not elite in the time trial.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serong is the kind of talent we need leading the charge, you can tell by his on field performances he's a leader, yeah he's young but sometimes that younger perspective is what you need to make something of the team.

Let Pearce go back to focusing on dominating opposition forwards.

Yeah absolutely.

I’m not buying how encouraging it is that he won the third.

Erasmus and Johnson being in the top 5 today shows they are building. If Erasmus can somehow clean up his disposal a bit look out.
Yeah absolutely.

I’m not buying how encouraging it is that he won the third.

Erasmus and Johnson being in the top 5 today shows they are building. If Erasmus can somehow clean up his disposal a bit look out.
In the games I’ve rewatched his disposal has been far from the worst. I like the way he takes on the action. Suspect his confidence has been a bit dented - as it rebounds so will his game.

In the games I’ve rewatched his disposal has been far from the worst. I like the way he takes on the action. Suspect his confidence has been a bit dented - as it rebounds so will his game.
His disposal early in the year with Peel was much improved. I feel a bit of pressure which impacts confidence led to a few errors which is the want for young players finding their feet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back