Pressure Gauge 2018

Which team is under the most pressure in 2018?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I must have missed the memo where Adelaide was the only AFL town in 2018.
No Melbourne clubs under pressure apparently.
Talk to me when Carlton finish above the bottom 2 spots Red. Comparing Carlton to Richmond is foolish indeed.

Once again ian you need to relax your grip mate.
FWIW Carlton did manage to squeeze out of the bottom 2 this season but more importantly , nowhere did i compare Carlton to Richmond .
I said that only a fool would predict what draft picks clubs would have at the end of next season and used Richmond's amazing 12 month turn around as an example .

Once again ian you need to relax your grip mate.
FWIW Carlton did manage to squeeze out of the bottom 2 this season but more importantly , nowhere did i compare Carlton to Richmond .
I said that only a fool would predict what draft picks clubs would have at the end of next season and used Richmond's amazing 12 month turn around as an example .

Which is it, are we using the previous seasons form as a guide for this season or not?

You make the Richmond point, but then claim that because Carlton finished out of the bottom 2 this season...

Pressure builds when clubs fail to meet expectations either from underperforming in previous seasons or expectations have increased. IMO the following clubs are under pressure to produce in 2018:

The Underperformers

Melbourne:
Quite simply need to make finals. Have a talented list in a good age bracket, have been rebuilding for years (Sept 2018 will be 5 years since Roos was appointed). Anything less is abject failure. For me they are club under the most pressure when the 2018 season starts.

Bulldogs: Missed finals after being deserved Premiers the year before. Pressure is on as to which year represents the real doggies. (Pretty certain Bulldogs supporters won't mind the extra pressure from being recent Premiers)

GWS: Super-talented list have played Prelims in the last two seasons but all the talk, given the start up concessions and how they've been used, was of dynasties.

The Big Recruiters

Port and Essendon:
Both played Finals and have loaded up with multiple trades (Motlop, Rockliff and Watts and Stringer, Saad and Smith respectively) for immediate improvement. Will be aiming for Top 4.

Crows and Geelong:
Both top 4 teams in 2017 and have topped up with big name but ageing recruits (Gibbs and Ablett), this strategy and the profile of the lists suggests it's Grand Final or bust for both of them.

Reigning Premiers

Richmond:
Pressure from increased expectations, difficult to go back to back so there won't be much pressure early, but look like missing Finals and the pressure will build.

The following aren't really under any pressure at all: North, GCS, Carlton, Brisbane, as let's face it bottom 4 finishes are expected and no-one will be surprised if any of them win the spoon, can only really exceed expectations. Neither really are Collingwood (Buckley's career aside), St Kilda, West Coast or Fremantle provided they avoid a bottom 4 finish no-one really expects them to be serious contenders.

Geelong is possibly the most fascinating Here as many have agreed

Sure They have the big 3, though Theyve lost a lot from the defence.

Its a given Theyll be Up there But Whos actually predicting the cats to win it? I Dont think they can personally
I think they absolutely can. They've got a really good core and I think Ablett will be great for them if he is happy, and I think he was really unhappy up at the GC.

If they can spread the load through the middle, few players just step up, I can see them well and truly being top 4.

Pressure builds when clubs fail to meet expectations either from underperforming in previous seasons or expectations have increased. IMO the following clubs are under pressure to produce in 2018:

The Underperformers

Melbourne:
Quite simply need to make finals. Have a talented list in a good age bracket, have been rebuilding for years (Sept 2018 will be 5 years since Roos was appointed). Anything less is abject failure. For me they are club under the most pressure when the 2018 season starts.

Bulldogs: Missed finals after being deserved Premiers the year before. Pressure is on as to which year represents the real doggies. (Pretty certain Bulldogs supporters won't mind the extra pressure from being recent Premiers)

GWS: Super-talented list have played Prelims in the last two seasons but all the talk, given the start up concessions and how they've been used, was of dynasties.

The Big Recruiters

Port and Essendon:
Both played Finals and have loaded up with multiple trades (Motlop, Rockliff and Watts and Stringer, Saad and Smith respectively) for immediate improvement. Will be aiming for Top 4.

Crows and Geelong:
Both top 4 teams in 2017 and have topped up with big name but ageing recruits (Gibbs and Ablett), this strategy and the profile of the lists suggests it's Grand Final or bust for both of them.

Reigning Premiers

Richmond:
Pressure from increased expectations, difficult to go back to back so there won't be much pressure early, but look like missing Finals and the pressure will build.

The following aren't really under any pressure at all: North, GCS, Carlton, Brisbane, as let's face it bottom 4 finishes are expected and no-one will be surprised if any of them win the spoon, can only really exceed expectations. Neither really are Collingwood (Buckley's career aside), St Kilda, West Coast or Fremantle provided they avoid a bottom 4 finish no-one really expects them to be serious contenders.
West Coast and Collingwood are under pressure. Definitely. Collingwood haven't done much in a while and have loaded up on midfielders who aren't doing a lot. Pendlebury shoulders a lot of load, and the likes of Wells, Aish and Mayne have been disappointing. They've also signed Buckley for two more years after quite a few years of no finals.

West Coast are also going to come under scrutiny if Simpson can't get them competitive. Great year in 15 followed by a horrible GF showing, rolled at home by the WB. They seem to be able to win convincingly at home but just not on the road. Simpson has been there a while now and I don't think too many more years of mid table finishes will cut it.

Under pressure to contend
Adelaide - acted arrogantly for all of GF week then went out and got flogged. Will be under pressure to at least give themselves another crack.
GWS - Plenty of talent. No results yet.
Geelong - Poor recent finals record and with the recruitment of GAJ they are clearly topping up for a flag
Port - Similarly to Geelong, they've topped up to try challenge for a flag given the mass recruiting.

Under pressure to improve
Melbourne & St Kilda - Both were almost expected to step up into the finals this year. Melbourne were imo pretty unlucky to miss but they didn't have to lose to Collingwood in the last round. St Kilda looked good often, didn't get the job done though. I'd imagine both would be disappointed to miss again
Collingwood - Very similar to us last year really, plenty of external pressure, but the major review they appear to have had is the right way to go about it. Lack the vaguely promising results we'd had 2013-15 but it's not like they've been genuinely crap, just not very good. They're under pressure to make finals
Carlton - 3rd year of a rebuild, they don't need to be sensational but I don't think the supporters will be impressed with another stagnant year.

Umpires don't 'cheat' but you can't possibly tell me they never get sucked in by the emotion of it all and when there's a 75-25 split I can't even I'd blame them for it. No surprise two of the longest 5 droughts are over two years in a row when all the umpiring complaints the past few years are at an all time high.
So no play the tigers did during that game had anything to do with good play it was all the umps fault. got it.

Adelaide .
Their meek surrender in the GF following the embarrassing pre game power stance left them a national laughing stock .
They also have the oldest list in the competition and 12 months after saying it would be irresponsible to pay 2 x 1st rounders for a 29yo Bryce Gibbs , they did exactly that .

Nail, meet hammer. Can't believe they ever thought that power stance was a good idea. It will just be an embarassment for them for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we don't win at least 2 flags with a list built around Selwood/Taylor/'Hawkins/Danger/Ablett then we lose the chance to call ourselves the only genuine dynasty in AFL history.

Every team enters a new season with varying levels of pressure internally and externally.

In 2018 there are a number of teams that will expect to win the flag or their campaign will be considered to be a failure. Alternatively there a some that simply must make the finals to demonstrate improvement and these often are the teams who’s coaches are under the most pressure.

At the other end of the scale there are some teams that no one really expects to contend or do much at all, and as the tigers of 2017 proved, this can be a fruitful position to be in.

Pressure Gauge 2018:

1. Sydney - the heat will be on in NSW in 2018. After coming home with a wet sail (ignoring that shipwreck against Geelong) internally and externally Sydney is regarded as the best team in it. They are one of the most experienced and professional outfits and their inability to add another flag in this era is a major underachievement. The pressure is on for a Sydney flag in 2018.

2. GWS - after failing in the last two prelims, the most talented team in the competition will internally expect to take the next step and make the big dance. Externally the pressure is intense, however, perhaps many observers are expecting a grand final appearance instead of a premiership.

3. Melbourne - Melbourne should have made the finals this year and were rightfully bitterly dissapointed that they didn’t. This team is stocked with high draft picks, talent and now Jake Lever. The blowtorch will be on the dees next year and a finals spot is the absolute minimum.

4. Adelaide - blew a golden change with an embarrassing grand final performance. Internally they’ll be determined to go one better. Externally many will expect Adelaide to contend, though Chances don’t come around too often and perhaps the crows have missed theirs.

5. Port - any team that recruits in the manner that the power did invites pressure and scrutiny. This team is talented and balanced and many internally and externally will expect a top 4 finish to justify their off season.

6. Richmond - calling Richmond’s flag a surprise should take nothing away from it, though it’s yrue. Few predicted the Tigers triumph and few are predicting them to emulate their success. The lack of pressure can work to their advantage but the tigers will be keen to prove they aren’t a flash in the pan.

7. Essendon - similar to port, the dons have targeted talent this off season and internally will expect to at least win one final. This is a team that is never afraid to talk the talk but rarely can walk it. Externally, there’s a consensus that the bombers have ignored their glaring deficiencies in the midfield and while they should be good, won’t threaten for the flag.

8. Geelong - any team that boasts three of the top 10 players in the competition will be expected to do well. Geelong are top 4 fixtures but have failed to make it count. They will be expected to be thereabouts next season, though few externally will expect a cats flag.

9. St Kilda - will they make it under richo? Can they take the step into the 8? How will losing nick and Leigh impact? This is a team with many question marks and they could not answer them this year. There’s talent in the saints line up no doubt and internally they’ll expect to improve and make the 8. Externally many expect the saints to be thereabouts in the 8th spot logjam, though it’s hard to see who they displace.

10. Gold Coast - next season will be a challenge with the commonwealth games situation. However, if this team isn’t competitive there will be grave fears externally for their long term viability. It’s nearing the time that the suns must do or die. Yes they’re young and inexperienced, they should be much further ahead and they can’t afford to be cellar dwellers for the next 5 or so years.

11. Collingwood - Collingwood don’t miss the finals 5 years in a row. But they most likely will. It’s hard to see where the sudden improvement will come from regardless of how good the midfield is. Internally the pressure on this team will probably rank 1st but externally many are not expecting a whole lot from the pies next season

12. Western Bulldogs - suddenly their flag seems a long time ago. The failure of this season has almost erased the memory of it and few are predicting the bulldogs to bounce back and challenge again. But they are talented and they’ve reached the summit so the dogs will be dissapointed if another season goes to waste.

13. Hawthorn - after a sustained period of success I’d argue the expectation of many is for hawthorn to fall away and spend some time at the bottom. Perhaps this is the case but this team is too proud for that. Internally they will believe and expect to make the finals or even challenge for the flag, and perhaps with a lack of external pressure they can surprise.

14. West Coast - many are expecting the eagles to drop off this season as they rejuvenate their list. There won’t be a heap of pressure but they’d sure like to make Perth stadium a fortress

15. North Melbourne - The pride of this team is admirable and perhaps enviable. Many are expecting the Roos to take home the spoon but internally they’ll be desperate and believe that they are better than that. Perhaps this is another team that can’t afford to remain uncompetitive and that pressure will always remain.

16. Fremantle - an interesting case. Last season proved the one before the was not an aberration. Freo have free reign now, a top 8 finish isn’t expected, though it’s not out of the question. They should enjoy a relatively pressure free season.

17. Carlton - cleaned out their list and the air is fresh at ikon Park. They’re young, talented and moving up but no one inside or out are expecting much from the blues next year.

18. Brisbane - similar to Carlton. Young and improving but 2018 is not expected to be fruitful. Such a lack of pressure can work wonders and I won’t be suprised to see the lions begin to chalk up the wins.
Hey Buffy, who do you really barrack for ?
This post is way too balanced to come from a true essendone supporter ;)

So no play the tigers did during that game had anything to do with good play it was all the umps fault. got it.
Get used to it flea.

Hawthorn 3peat was an accident of history.
Sh!t players, sh!t coach, we just got lucky

3 times in 3 years. How could we be so lucky

It took a couple of years after the introduction of the new teams, the draft concessions and the dilution of the draft, 18 teams picking each draft rather than 16, for it to flow through. I'd say 2014 it really started to bite. That is when teams like Freo, WC, Bulldogs have had one good fluke run making it to the grand final and then not backing it up again. Richmond to join the club next year.
Fair enough,we'll just put it down as a false flag.Hope we get the same crisis actors next year.

Adelaide finished top, went into the grand final as favourites, did the Crowbot stance, were ahead at quarter time and proceeded to do nothing.

Bryce Gibbs has the ominous feel of being seen as the 'missing piece in the puzzle' like Ryder and then Dixon were supposed to be for Port. Embarrassingly, a couple of Crows fans have been mentioning how good it will be to win the 2018 flag.

Added to that is the near certainty that 2018 will be Rory Sloane's last year at the club. You can smell it from a mile away.

Bryce will add a touch of class to your midfield and forward line, with protection and support he'll enjoy at the crows very experienced team his ability will a true delight to see.

Melbourne for me
Any club that has players go to the ALFPA to complain that preseason training camp is too hard and dont want to do it
Has put so much pressure on the club to turn up big time this year of 2018
I tend to agree. Whilst my opinion of the training camp saga is that it isn't necessarily a big deal, if we don't have a good year there'll be that that is regurgitated as well as the obvious critiques of the MFC.

There's a stack of pressure on us next year, and if we don't play finals there'll be serious questions raised about the future of the MFC.

I don't see Geelong as under a huge amount of pressure. 3 flags in the last 11 years and finals almost every year kinda buys you a fair reprieve. Ablett has fallen into their lap and they are probably trying to jag another cheeky flag, but I'd hardly call it a disaster if they don't.
Cats under huge amount of pressure to perform, failed at prelim last 2 years, finals record last 5 years is very poor and have recruited for the now. 2011 is a while ago now.

2/Collingwood - Would want to make finals. Have gone backwards on the ladder every year since Buckley took over. Have been given an easy draw.[/QUOTE]

You mean a draw like Richmond had this year? When we won in 2010 we were ranked as having the toughest draw. Had another tough one this year despite not playing finals for three years-tougher than the tigers' draw.

Back