Game Day Preview - Round 8 - Collingwood v Sydney MCG Sunday 7 May 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The wonder days roll on. What a beauty. Enough has been written about our team, it's belief, the decisions. I'll just say: that was glorious, again!

The Soulless Swans: In Debt to the Devil

Sunday we hit up a struggling Sydney, who are a battling, mid-table side. They're depleted like us, but they just don't have the intestinal fortitude of the Might Magpies. Missing P McCartin, Rampe, hurts their backline. Why Franklin played on this year is beyond me. Or why they let him play on, to be truthful. He makes their team worse. I guess he is the rock star they have needed in the facile, soulless, commercial, tasteless, garish, gaudy, and ultimately superficial Sydney market. Yes, whatever soul Sydney have, it comes from their old South Melbourne supporters. Otherwise, it's best to think of them as Dr Faust, who sold his soul to the Devil for money and power. Karma will get them this weekend though. They should buckle up for a right royal reckoning. Debts will be paid. And Dr Faust will be pulled screaming down into the netherworlds for his sins.

What sins you ask? This for starters: Papley pushed Darcy Moore flat in the back, and this is what it took for them to beat us in last year's Prelim. It was as bad as the Maynard block in 2018, the Harmes out-of-bounds in 77 was it? (I'm too young but I've seen the footage). Let's call a spade a spade and just say they didn't deserve to make it to the Grand Final and Geelong showed them why. Anyway, don't expect such heroics from Sydney this week. They have some star-factor, the aforementioned Papley, Heeney, Parker, Blakey, MrCartin. But they are still middle of the road. They ain't ready for us.

The Mighty Magpie Avengers: Balancing up the Universe

Finally some good news for us this week. Pendlebury should be back. We missed the former Captain's steady head and cool chess-master decision making in Adelaide. Kreuger is a chance, so that gives us options if he's okay. I mean, I'm not sold on anything except the fact he is willing to run headlong into a burning building without anyone even asking him to. But boy does he run. Run Forest, Run! Cox will probably play at some level this week. Do we rush him back in because we need an actual ruckman?

Questions and options. My own take is this:

In: Pendlebury
Out: Markov, who will take the sub position

Kreuger will play if fit and Cox will have one run in the VFL. But it could easily be the other way around.

Quaynor will start on Heeney, Noble on Papley, Murphy on Franklin. There's a question about who will take Blakey, since we'll want to limit his run. He's tall too, so that presents a problem. I'm betting WHE (who deserves a ton of praise for that kick to Sidebottom to win us the Adelaide game). Will has the pace, and a good leap and is disciplined and experienced.

None of this will matter that much because we'll crack them on the inside and shred them on the out. Our system is better, our belief better, we have immense improvement in us (especially the forward line). Only a special performance by their midfield and at least one of their stars will give them a chance. And it's a puncher's chance. We ain't talking skill or technique. We're talking the luck of lashing out blindly.

The Washup

It's time to pay the Piper Dr Faust. The time is 11.59pm and we're taking you to hell at the stroke of 12! Ding, ding, ding.....

Pies by 38 points in a wave of devastation

Will Kelly is just a nothing footballer, and we don't need him as sub now Krueger is officially out again.

Out: Kelly (sub) Murphy Kreuger.

In: Cox (if fit) Pendlebury.

Carmichael or Macrae sub

In: Pendles.
Out: Murphy.

Assumes Krueger is okay. Cox to come back for the Carlton game, so Moore and Frampton can take Curnow and McKay. He therefore needs to play VFL next two weeks.

Can we please, please, stop kicking the ball off the ground and trying to tap it on so often?

McCreery had 3-4 wild air swing attempts to hack the ball out of the air each of which ended badly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Kreuger (regardless of availability), Murphy (if concussed), Kelly (found wanting)
In: Pendles (please don't leave me), Carmichael (30 touches, 3.2 and didn't get a game? Weird) Ruscoe (shouldn't have been dropped, really)

Geez, I don't know if it was dirty. It was certainly clumsy and should have been a free, but his eyes were on the ball going back with it the whole way and had a good swing at the ball. Wasn't dirty in my view. But should have been a free kick to us.
Totally agree with this. Actually thought it was a great contest but Murphy deserved the free kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back