Expansion Proposals for a Truly National AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone watching the game at Cazaly Stadium in Cairns?
Looks like a good crowd to me.
A local side is needed, however, not quite big enough for Div1, but perfect for Div2.

Suck it up fellas. It's going to happen.

Suck it up fellas. It's going to happen.

In your dreams maybe. In reality its not going to happen. ever.

Clubs cant be dropped from the league without the approval of the clubs. Something you wont get. For a start 1/3rd of the clubs in the league will not voluntarily vote to drop themselves to division 2, nor will they vote for any kind of pro-rel system. The rest of the clubs wont vote for something which will - despite your earnest attempts to convince us otherwise - result in a drop in broadcast revenues for the clubs in the AFL.

Secondly, the AFL as the controlling body of Queensland, NSW, ACT, Victoria, NT and Tasmania would then have to throw their hands up in the air and vote to make themselves irrelevant. And the SANFL and WAFC would also have to join this mutal suicide pact, because no matter how you spin it, you cant take all the talent out of the state clubs - the current second tier - because they'd have to migrate to div 2 or 3 or whatever to get anywhere - and expect the state leagues to just shrug and go about their business. Further these bodies fund or subsidise almost all development/umpiring and coaching programs in Australian football.

Thirdly, You underestimate the cost of flying division 4 clubs around the country with staff and players, this is currently subsidised by league sponsors.

You underestimate the cost of flying division 4 clubs around the country with staff and players, this is currently subsidised by league sponsors.
If a club dosnt have the resources to enter the league, then they won't enter a team.

If they do have the resources, then they can enter a team.

It's not brain surgery Sherlock.

Well there goes your div 2,3 and 4. Travel costs alone would kill them.
Can you ban yourself from this thread, like you have banned me from several other threads?
You are the definition of institutionalised morbid pessimism.

Can you ban yourself from this thread, like you have banned me from several other threads?

No.
You either want the discussion or you want a bunch of yes men who agree with everything you say.
I dont want this discussion in every expansion thread. Its that simple.

Tonatopia I admire your never give up spirit despite common sense arguments against you.

But it’s time for action and not wasting your time here on BigFooty.

It’s time to get your zillionere privateers to convince clubs in Australia to leave their League and join your new League.

Maybe a visit to Dragon’s Den or Shark Tank will get you worldwide exposure to attract investors…

Tonatopia I admire your never give up spirit despite common sense arguments against you.

But it’s time for action and not wasting your time here on BigFooty.

It’s time to get your zillionere privateers to convince clubs in Australia to leave their League and join your new League.

Maybe a visit to Dragon’s Den or Shark Tank will get you worldwide exposure to attract investors…
You'll find out soon enough.

It's not brain surgery Sherlock.

Yes, that's right.

If a club dosnt have the resources to enter the league, then they won't enter a team.

So, you'd have four divisions with no teams,
With a hierarchical structure there is no need for travel apart from the elite league.
Even teams in the NFL don't travel like those in the AFL because they have a conference setup.

The Wookie hates Candour if it doesn't suit his agenda.
He's also very credulous when it comes to statements from AFL house.
Like the journos who are frightened of losing their AFL accreditation he tows the AFL line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Wookie hates Candour if it doesn't suit his agenda.
He's also very credulous when it comes to statements from AFL house.
Like the journos who are frightened of losing their AFL accreditation he tows the AFL line.

Sure champ. Now why do you go and join a forum with a sport you actually support.

Thirdly, You underestimate the cost of flying division 4 clubs around the country with staff and players, this is currently subsidised by league sponsors.

The original idea of the thread is so idiotic on every level, that it's impossible to respond to it because it's a bit like: where does one start?

But the thought of flying 4th division clubs around Australia did make me laugh out loud.

I'm thinking that the 4th tier is around the level of the Sapphire League on the far NSW South coast, where I played a season. It's laughable to think that any club there could afford even one flight to Adelaide, let along 10+ flights all around Australia.

And the thing is, a game between two local rivals will always, ALWAYS get more attendance and local media interest than a game against Nhill, or Broken Hill, Mt Isa, or whatever club has made it into the "4th division" from whatever godforsaken part of Australia.

Even a country like Italy, with a population of some 60 mill, in a land size a fraction of that of Australia, starts divvying up its 3rd tier into regional sub-divisions, and by the time you get to the 4th tier, you're talking about pissant towns which are overwhelmingly amateur and are regional based.

The original idea of the thread is so idiotic on every level, that it's impossible to respond to it because it's a bit like: where does one start?

Needless to say.

But the thought of flying 4th division clubs around Australia did make me laugh out loud.

Even the NFL doesn't fly teams anywhere near as much as the AFL.

And the thing is, a game between two local rivals will always, ALWAYS get more attendance.

Not always, but it takes an incredibly long time for distant teams to evoke rivalries.

Even a country like Italy, with a population of some 60 mill, in a land size a fraction of that of Australia, starts divvying up its 3rd tier into regional sub-divisions, and by the time you get to the 4th tier, you're talking about pissant towns which are overwhelmingly amateur and are regional based.

Any AFL expansion would surely look at conferences.

I'm thinking that the 4th tier is around the level of the Sapphire League on the far NSW South coast, where I played a season. It's laughable to think that any club there could afford even one flight to Adelaide, let along 10+ flights all around Australia.

And the thing is, a game between two local rivals will always, ALWAYS get more attendance and local media interest than a game against Nhill, or Broken Hill, Mt Isa, or whatever club has made it into the "4th division" from whatever godforsaken part of Australia.

Ummmmmm.
Current VFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back