Proud to be an Aussie?

Remove this Banner Ad

Far ken oath mate. What's not to love.

Well, you could always **** off back there instead of starting these bullshyt threads all the time. Eh bro.

If you have to use music to capture the unique flavour of Straya, then at least get it roight m8.

https://youtu.be/jpkGvk1rQBI
https://youtu.be/3mkidP2OUCk
https://youtu.be/Lf0_m5oZW7c

As an aside, I feel like Hunters & Collectors captured a uniquely "Australian sound" better than any band before or since. And no, I'm not talking about "Holy Grail" and "Throw Your Arms Around Me". I mean stuff like "Betty's Worry" and "Say Goodbye". To me, that is Australia on record.

As an aside, I feel like Hunters & Collectors captured a uniquely "Australian sound" better than any band before or since. And no, I'm not talking about "Holy Grail" and "Throw Your Arms Around Me". I mean stuff like "Betty's Worry" and "Say Goodbye". To me, that is Australia on record.

That's rubbish.

If ever there was an Australian sound it was Powderfinger and Regurgitator...

My mother is full Maori. I'm half Maori.

The half of me that is Pakeha does not reject my Maori culture.

Neither do my family who are 100% Pakeha. Indeed, they embrace Maori culture just as much as anyone else.

New Zealanders are mature enough to accept and embrace Maori culture without resorting to churlish taunts like 'weird comedy dance'.

Australia has a long, long way to go to grow up and accept that us non-whites are not just there for you to ridicule.

Well, I do feel you're totally misreading my post, and misunderstanding me and the point I was making. Nonetheless, I apologise if what I said offended you.

I get sick of all the Kochie-styled 'Australia's the greatest country in the world' type rhetoric that is wheeled out on a daily basis in this country.

Australia is a good country. But please don't tell me it's the greatest society to have ever graced the face of the earth and Australians are the greatest people to have ever walked the earth and no one else in the world is anywhere near as good as 'us Aussies'.

Australia is a lucky country run mainly by second rate people who share its luck. It lives on other people's ideas, and, although its ordinary people are adaptable, most of its leaders (in all fields) so lack curiosity about the events that surround them that they are often taken by surprise.

By world standards we ain't that special.

I'm an Australian citizen and I love this country. It's just the people that aren't that likeable.

Boorish, bogan, backward.

It's time we ended this GOAT mentality and realised we Aussies ain't as **** hot as we think we are.

Where in Aus you live bro?

Most countries do have some kind of nationalistic pride. Most first world countries at least. And at least we're not as bad as the Americans, or even the Canadians, who can't go overseas without their maple leaf prominent somewhere.

The things we think we are lucky to have are mostly culturally relative. For example, owning a house isn't even a goal in some countries. I was talking to a Ukrainian today. She was saying that she misses the Ukrainian way of life where there is a real community feel to living in apartment blocks and that she doesn't like the Australian way of living in houses as it isolates people who just keep to their own little plot of land.

My mother is full Maori. I'm half Maori.

The half of me that is Pakeha does not reject my Maori culture.

Neither do my family who are 100% Pakeha. Indeed, they embrace Maori culture just as much as anyone else.

New Zealanders are mature enough to accept and embrace Maori culture without resorting to churlish taunts like 'weird comedy dance'.

Australia has a long, long way to go to grow up and accept that us non-whites are not just there for you to ridicule.
Oh to live in a land like NZ!
Where a sheep is judged not by the colour of its wool but rather by it's easiness to catch.

That's rubbish.

If ever there was an Australian sound it was Powderfinger and Regurgitator...

Showing your age there....Neither of those 2 bands captured the unique flavour of Oz to the spiritual geographical degree that the Oils & Icehouse did....I didn't mind some of Poderfingers stuff though.

I
Most countries do have some kind of nationalistic pride. Most first world countries at least. And at least we're not as bad as the Americans, or even the Canadians, who can't go overseas without their maple leaf prominent somewhere.

The things we think we are lucky to have are mostly culturally relative. For example, owning a house isn't even a goal in some countries. I was talking to a Ukrainian today. She was saying that she misses the Ukrainian way of life where there is a real community feel to living in apartment blocks and that she doesn't like the Australian way of living in houses as it isolates people who just keep to their own little plot of land.
I actually agree with this last sentence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not 'proud'. It is part of who I am, but a decreasing part, day by day, year by year.

I like to think that I inherited / adopted some of the virtuous / cool traits which used to be more common among Australians, such as open distrust of authority, open dislike of Americanisms, and open mockery of friends as a sign of camaraderie.

But Australia today is not what it was even twenty years ago. Culturally I feel alienated from the place. The middle class is now brainwashed into orthodoxy (PC groupthink) and it is only getting worse. Individualism might never have been an Australian forte but now it is truly frowned upon.

Australia is still a pretty good place to live, all things considered, especially if you have a good work ethic. There is money to be made. I knew a guy who was on six figures working as a fricken 'traffic control manager', all because he was willing to put in the work. Six figures placing plastic cones a road ffs.

Some of the major problems of modern Australia are not isolated to Australia. I've been to countries in south east Asia where locals tell me that they don't speak with their neighbours anymore, 'things have changed', etc. The world is changing, not just Australia.

I'm cheering for the Aussies in the World Cup but if it comes down to NZ vs Aus in the final, I'll be cheering on the Kiwis, because I have money on them. I want to see Warner and Smith stick it up the Poms, even though I disliked them (Warner especially) before the 'scandal'. I still have the instinct to support a fellow 'Aussie' especially when they are the underdog or being mistreated.

Speaking of the scandal, that was one of the things which did it for me. Seeing an entire nation turn on the captain of the cricket team for doing something which his opposite number had already been caught doing. Australians truly are some of the dumbest people in the Western world, easily aggravated, quick to turn on people.

That is one thing I don't miss about the place, the utter stupidity and emotional immaturity of the average man (and woman).

And don't even get me started on the women. Some of the worst in the world. The city girls, anyway. Regional and remote Aussie girls are still pretty good, in fact they are at the opposite end of the spectrum, some of the better girls I've met. But if they were raised in the city then they are almost certainly a disaster waiting to explode in the face of whichever sucker is dumb enough to put a ring on it. Tatts, drugs (prescription and illicit), daddy issues, you name it. They've been ruined.

Last edited:
Last paragraph, first sentence totally agree. And I’m a woman. All I can say is while a lot are like that there are a few genuine ones. But yeah like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Proud enough. Back to early 90s really pre flag capes and southern cross tatts being a thing.

We aren't perfect and there are plenty of dickheads.

Australians are an embarrassment overseas. More often than not if I come across some I'll think '* here we go' rather than 'cool my fellow countrymen'.

If you want to see Aussies do us proud in sport then watch the NBA. Those guys for the most part know they have succeeded just be getting on a roster and being the 7th or 8th best player in a team is huge. That breeds humility. Our tennis players, Olympians, cricketers etc just seem to become bigger and bigger dickheads over time. Too much consumed bathwater.

Since I've been alive the population has gone up 10m. Ignoring demographic changes via immigration which has had an effect I'd guess at least 9.5m of that is in the cap cities. We've become a nation of a handful of cities when once upon a time people actually lived and worked in the country.

Far too many sooks like Bomberboyokay endlessly whining about the party in govt like their own lives would be any better under the alternative.

Too many people who just don't understand personal responsibility. If migrants who barely speak English can set up good lives for themselves and their families then why the hell can't spoiled middle class white kids?

But hey I live in a city with clean air, clean water and it was 25 degrees on the first weeked of winter and I went to the pub so I'm pretty happy with that. There are still plenty of people out there who want to crack a few cans and talk s**t. Get around those people.

We're still essentially a British colonial out-post, who provide a lot of natural resources & raw minerals, that the Anglo-American network requires to maintain their hold upon the world.

Murdoche does an excellent job for the criminal banksters, by keeping the natives dumbed-down & in check....Lets not kid ourselves, most of us are debt-slaves to the criminal corporate elites, who have a hold upon our Federal government....So in that sense, we are as much alike as many other Western Imperial out-posts.

queen-elizabeth-angry-2.jpg

"You think you're onto us now, you little fart? Huh?"

queen-elizabeth-angry-2.jpg

"You think you're onto us now, you little fart? Huh?"

She's Germanic by the way, & hubby's bro was head of the Nazi SS….Goes by the adopted name of Windsor, but is actually a Saxxe-Coburg.

The jokes on us all.

Last paragraph, first sentence totally agree. And I’m a woman. All I can say is while a lot are like that there are a few genuine ones. But yeah like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Take that woman murdered in Melbourne last week. She was homeless, she would have drug and behavioral issues. They guy charged was also homeless, the press reported on his issues, but not hers. He was on a pharmaceutical medication known to cause violent behavior. Yet Australians are told that her issue was mens violence against women.

Australians are amongst the dumbest and most brainwashed cultures in the world.

Last week a woman murdered her 4 kids, and nothing said. Drove them into a truck. Police have said it was a murder suicide.

Instead of concentrating on this, we make Homeless woman out to be Saints, so we can label all men.

It's quite pethetic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back