Punk Throwdown Showdown - Nominations for best Punk band ever

Remove this Banner Ad

Most of my faves have already been nominated (Ramones, Stooges, MC5, NY Dolls, Sex Pistols, Damned, Radio Birdman, Saints etc) but I haven't seen the Dictators mentioned yet. Released an album one year before the Ramones in 1975 with much of the same look and feel as the Ramones (perhaps a bit more metal ala Blue Oyster Cult in there though). Super band and one of the best I've seen live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkq69Dc2Uok

I was a huge offspring fan and in a way, always will be. Smash is an untouchable album but i do agree that it is not punk.

Why not? They've never really changed their sound, except from those crappy hit songs they play on the radio, even the rest of the songs on those 'hit' albums were the same style. They are basically Bad Religion lite. Just because they're on the radio and particularly mainstream doesn't mean they're not punk.

Although I'll get super flamed for this, this whole crap about punk being an attitude is 60% bullshit. There is a definitive sound to the mass genre and you could find flaws in every punk bands ethics that doesn't seem to fit the stereotypical punk ethos:

For example:

Bad Religion: Singer Greg Graffin is a bloody university professor! Guitarest Brett Gurewitz owns a multi million dollar record label that in recent times has shifted away from 90s style punk. They also signed to a major label for a while.

Descendents: Milo is a super nerd and some kind of scientist.

Rancid: Tim Armstrong wrote songs for Pink.

These guys have gotta get a look in, absolute classic stuff.
Definitely.

the Psychos did original punk- blue singlet indi - suburban rock crossover or whatever the ferk it is it better than anyone.

Just listening to that GBH again makes me realise how similar ( and better ) the CS were.

Not sure if they've been discussed, but I really love The Living End's early stuff. I've got their debut album and earlier EP, and they're both awesome. It's a shame they dropped away because I think they could've been massive internationally as I'm pretty sure their debut is well circulated overseas. I'd love to know why they basically went down the toilet musically.

One of my favourites by them at the moment
[youtube]AXqlouMAS2I [/youtube]

I have to thrown down some early pretty ugly stuff. Not because it is good but because it some of the first punk I ever got into and it is funny as hell. It is trolling 15 years before the interwebby.

I saw the Anti Nowhere League in the 80s. They were absolute s**t.

It was in Adelaide - X were the support band. When X started probably a a dozen people looked like they knew any of X but by the end of their set they had the packed venue pumping. People were leaving half way through the Anti Nowhere League's set they were that shithouse.

I've never seen a band win an audience of people who didn't know their stuff like X did that night.

We Are the League is a great record but I never thought they would be any good live. Pity I missed them when they toured last year.

The Living End have changed sounds so much since they started, damn good rock band these days though.

It looks like this thread has taken over from the General Punk thread :p

Why not? They've never really changed their sound, except from those crappy hit songs they play on the radio, even the rest of the songs on those 'hit' albums were the same style. They are basically Bad Religion lite. Just because they're on the radio and particularly mainstream doesn't mean they're not punk.

Although I'll get super flamed for this, this whole crap about punk being an attitude is 60% bullshit. There is a definitive sound to the mass genre and you could find flaws in every punk bands ethics that doesn't seem to fit the stereotypical punk ethos:

For example:

Bad Religion: Singer Greg Graffin is a bloody university professor! Guitarest Brett Gurewitz owns a multi million dollar record label that in recent times has shifted away from 90s style punk. They also signed to a major label for a while.

This is exactly why Bad Religion and The Descendants have always appealed to me.. If punk is about anti - establishment and left of centre thinking these bands and particular Bad Religion fit the bill. These guys actually function within the world and use their music as a vehicle to communicate their beliefs.Hence why they are more believable.
Dont get me wrong I love 'Kill the poor' By the DK's as much as anyone or I can listen 'No Fun' by the Pistols all day long but in terms of lyrical quality these bands do not compare.

In regards to Gurewitz he and his label Epitaph are responsible for launching bands like Rancid and especially The Offspring into the stratosphere.

To say punk music is purely and only an attitude of indifference,agression and violence against the world is totally erronous. Sure the music is fuelled by anger and thats what we love about it.

I have to thrown down some early pretty ugly stuff. Not because it is good but because it some of the first punk I ever got into and it is funny as hell.
[YOUTUBE]n4ewhrWW8cc[/YOUTUBE]

Nice one.

Stickin with the fun.

Reminds me of the first track here, People Aint No Good. The Cramps, among other things are rock & roll punks. Fur (Bass at the time) certainly looks the part and any excuse to sneek a peak at Ivy's g string.

[YOUTUBE]Nk0tlDk-rc8[/YOUTUBE]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably Im more into what I describe

pre corporate punk rock which died by the mid 80s.

This had a do it yourself emphasis, attitude and the artists were more socially aware

TV Smith, Paul Weller, Joe Strummer, John Lydon, Jello Biafra, Chris Bailey,Rob Younger

Sex Pistols, The Clash, Buzzcocks, The Jam, The Adverts, THe Saints, THe Scavangers, Radio Birdman, Johnny Thunders,(and others I missed Apologies) piss all over todays punk!!

Spot on mate, and I'd add X-Ray Spex, early Siouxisie, Stiff Little Fingers, UK Subs to that little lot too.

Have to admit being a defector from the genre by about 79 already, when real punk had gone underground by then in the UK. I am now recalling my spiky peroxided hair that earned me a stiff rebuke at school.

For example:

Epitaph did start as a tiny label so Bad Religion could actually release their albums, it just grew, especially post Rancid and Offspring. Heaps of s**t signed on it now.

But i would say being intelligent was never against the punk ethos, there have been plenty of intelligently written punk songs from the very beginning. Bad Religion are just the prime example of a very ****ing smart band.

Yeah probably needs a good mergin'. Either way it is the best game in town.

Ultimately I agree with LL. If you want understand punk, look no further than its primary protagonist....

[YOUTUBE]yoOgD8SITTY[/YOUTUBE]

My gfs fav band after Pink Floyd and grindcore metal hehe.

[youtube]jEDojtvd32c[/youtube]

[youtube]Zucf34zau9U&feature=related[/youtube]

Poison Idea - Lifestyles

[youtube]JKS1jboCBV0[/youtube]

[youtube]UIiAVlxvcS4&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]esgh_tyH3Uc&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]GPt-s5w9W3Q[/youtube]

[youtube]FvPXl67D_Ho[/youtube]

Ludichrist - Fire At The Firehouse

[youtube]dVjwJ9y7eZ8[/youtube]

[youtube]sHo9BCfAhI0[/youtube]

[youtube]SL8ScRrp0Pw&feature=related[/youtube]

Extinction Of Mankind - Religious Dogma

[youtube]GquFhb7iD_g[/youtube]

[youtube]cb3WYwHsfr4&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]fLRj253FelU&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]zPyAii6f-hc[/youtube]

[youtube]TwMWldUQQoc&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]eBK9cFECLGQ[/youtube]

[youtube]r8dC9M6OCkE&feature=PlayList&p=D14BEFB63FD039F7&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=26[/youtube]

[youtube]J3hbDOvkzSc[/youtube]

[youtube]QHVrTGVhXqc[/youtube]

[youtube]uEO9rikCRbo[/youtube]

a lot of great bands there Chewy.

I am a massive fan of Social Distortion and Nomeansno

there are a few I need to check out though so that gives me something to do when I get home from the pub tonight.

The Nomeansno album Wrong is in my top 10 of all time

[youtube]XmKIVQsv_9I[/youtube]

[youtube]4qHX493bB3U[/youtube]

[youtube]ooGUQ8m_wAs[/youtube]

[youtube]QD0pEOa9_No&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]RVsmufDY2RY[/youtube]

[youtube]SNOiHbYP3GE&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]Ba9wqSqk9-0[/youtube]

[youtube]gtZgcaIxFkg[/youtube]

[youtube]leRYVp56W0k&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]SeE059xtyL0[/youtube]

[youtube]PUi72JO7bfQ&feature=related[/youtube]