NFL Quarterback Battle Royale - Who is the Best of the Best?

Remove this Banner Ad

Brees didn't do much at San Diego tho.
He didn't?

Manning won two Lombardis at two different franchises.
He won one. He was carried to the other. Even he admits that.

Colts were a basket case when he was drafted. Being passed on by every team due to injury. Brady passed on six times by 32 teams in the draft. Manning after four severe neck surgeries, coming back from that , dead hand, and breaking passing records and going to another two Super Bowls was a bigger "comeback player of the year" effort than Brees'
Manning was the #1 pick in the draft.

When you're the #1 pick you get a say where you do or don't want to play. Ask his brother.

Almost every team would have taken Manning given the opportunity. Completely different situation to a QB where only one team wants you.

Brees didn't do much at San Diego tho. Manning won two Lombardis at two different franchises. Colts were a basket case when he was drafted. Being passed on by every team due to injury. Brady passed on six times by 32 teams in the draft. Manning after four severe neck surgeries, coming back from that , dead hand, and breaking passing records and going to another two Super Bowls was a bigger "comeback player of the year" effort than Brees'
Colts were a basket case whilst he was there and continue to be one

Jim Plunkett

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's not close. Ok, you can make an argument that it was harder for QB's in that era, but still, not close. Maybe you can put him in Manning, Brady, Montana tier, but even they can't lick the boots of Warner, Brees tier when it comes to playoffs

Warner and Brees made it look like they were playing in the 4th quarter of a preseason game when they were in the playoffs. If they just played 16 playoff games per year they'd both have retired with 7+ MVP's, and be the two best of all-time

In comparison to guys like Brady and Montana, they were more gritty and had to be tough to grind to wins in the playoffs. You remember them by specific moments, drives, throws, etc. whereas Warner and Brees played entire games dominantly, 400+ yds and 3 TD's kind of thing

Brady > Manning > Brees is pretty fair, but we're splitting hairs. You could make a decent case for any of them to be better than the other(s).

I've loved watching Brees operate, a thing of beauty. Just wish he had a half decent defense to work with in his later years, seems criminal to not have a QB like him in the post season these last few seasons.

One of the most pertinent stats I think ive seen is the game winning drive. Manning since around 2002 when he had that coaching change and thus started to draw up the offense himself and implement the hurry up more, he was about a 90% success rate on game winning drives opportunities. Simply remarkable. No one else touches that.

I'll try and dig it up tomorrow maybe. Should be bookmarked in my fap folder

He didn't?

He won one. He was carried to the other. Even he admits that.

Manning was the #1 pick in the draft.

When you're the #1 pick you get a say where you do or don't want to play. Ask his brother.

Almost every team would have taken Manning given the opportunity. Completely different situation to a QB where only one team wants you.
When you are the number 1 pick, you usually go to the shittiest team, hence the reason they had the number 1 pick. If you negotiate your way into a trade, the team you go to usually gives up a king's randsom to get you.

Brees is good, but he has gone to 1 superbowl and won 1. Manning has gone to 4 and won 2, brady has gone to 6.

Every Brady hater shits on him and points to the situation he is in to demerit his achievements, but EVERY quarterback needs a good environment/situation to be successful, see brees with Schottenheimer/stacked team or brees with Peyton, Manning with Dungy.

Probably the best example of this is Alex Smith, who was a bust with Singeltary, but a good qb with Harbaugh/Reid.

Brees is awesome, probably top 10, but nowhere near top 3.

The answer is Boomer Esiason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warner and Brees made it look like they were playing in the 4th quarter of a preseason game when they were in the playoffs. If they just played 16 playoff games per year they'd both have retired with 7+ MVP's, and be the two best of all-time

In comparison to guys like Brady and Montana, they were more gritty and had to be tough to grind to wins in the playoffs. You remember them by specific moments, drives, throws, etc. whereas Warner and Brees played entire games dominantly, 400+ yds and 3 TD's kind of thing

Typical Brady playoff game:

1 or 2 TD's, 1 INT, 250 yds, 60% completion (certainly not bad by any means)

Typical Brees playoff game:

2 or 3 TD's, 0 INT's, 350 yds, 70% completion

Give me a break! Brady has had a greater sample ..playoffs in 13 years compared with Brees and Warner (5-6). Brady's last five have been just as good.

Brees' has been outstanding in all forms, consistently very good for 13 or so years....but you've got the JD brown nose meter way too high buddy!!

I've never argued against Brady receiving the ranking he does. While I do think he benefits from being on teams capable of winning championships without him, you can't argue against his record. He still needs to perform (soft balls or not)

My issue with the views on Brees is on how easily he's dismissed. There's hardly a season where he's not even rated with the top QB's of that season. Preseason most rankings had him behind Rivers and Rodgers and some even behind Cam bloody Newton.

He's the most accurate QB of his generation. His completion % second to none. Yet rarely does he figure in the Brady vs Manning type discussions.

He was compared to Pavlich earlier but he reminds me more of Robert Harvey. Continually dismissed despite phenomenal performances & statistics over a long period simply because he's not playing for a 'storied' franchise.

It underscores for me how many people form opinions based on media convention rather than actually watching people play.

Nobody plays the QB position better than Brees. He might not have the physical attributes of some others (height mainly) but he makes up for it by preparation and understanding how to play the position. Year in year out he turns average receivers into threats. His stats and those of his receiving targets (compare their stats when on other teams) is second to none. Nobody prepares better or is more accurate. The two key ingredients you want in a QB.

I've been on this point for almost a decade. Every year Brees' performances prove me right and the media proves his doubters right. I'll stick with being on the side of performance rather than ESPN drivel.

I know they've based it on career QB ranking, but really....

But interestingly, they didn't use QB rating as the sole criteria for picking who the best from a given state was - you only need to see the explanation for Earl Morrall of Michigan at #33 where they mention that his 3 SB wins, 1968 MVP and 2 Pro Bowls trumps the superior career QB ranking of others including Kirk Cousins

Last edited:
Pmsl
Colin kaepernick is better than Brett Favre?

I'll admit favre is overrated, but worse than kaepernick?

The only way something could be more of a joke is having anyone bar Brady as the #1 from cal.

Oh wait....

Excellent video, excellent...must watch

Ozz8tsY.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back