'Questions that don't warrant a thread' Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you all get the survey about Hawk Talk? I wonder if they are planning to ditch it.

I think they will use electronic communication, rather than send out a magazine.

Makes sense these days.

I didn't.... more info please

I received an email asking me to do a survey about Hawk Talk, the magazine. I do like it but will understand if the content goes online. It really is very costly these days to issue printed publications when you can put the information out there much more efficiently using electronic media. Just the way things go.

I have a couple of mad Tigers friends who have already decided they will be playing in the GF, so have booked airfares to get themselves over and back on GF Day. They of course don't have tickets, so my question is, do us Hawks fans have the opportunity to go into a ballot for tickets even though we aren't competing?

Right. I've got questions for any budding linguists out there.

What's the origin of "Joe the Goose"?

I understand what it means, but only due to common usage. It makes absolutely no sense.

Who is Joe? And why is he a Goose? And what the hell does this have to do with a goal kicked over the back?

Next: Tiggy Touchwood.

WTF?

Is it taking two previously separate phrases and combining them, ie - Tiggy Touch (as in, touch and go, or not clearly decisive either way) and Touch Wood (for good luck)?

And finally: Butters Up.

I've got no idea of the origin of this one. Seems to equate to 'backs up', as in, goes again, or has a second try.

What the hell does butter have to do with it?

And yes, I'm becoming a grumpy old man.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I understand what it means, but only due to common usage. It makes absolutely no sense.

Who is Joe? And why is he a Goose? And what the hell does this have to do with a goal kicked over the back?

WTF?

Is it taking two previously separate phrases and combining them, ie - Tiggy Touch (as in, touch and go, or not clearly decisive either way) and Touch Wood (for good luck)?

I've got no idea of the origin of this one. Seems to equate to 'backs up', as in, goes again, or has a second try.

There's a thread on the crows board about Joe-the-Goose with a few suggestions.

Tiggy-touch refers to the game "tiggy" or "tag" where you touch someone to make them "it" and then have to run away so they don't tag you back.
Touch wood, like any superstition likely comes from folktales, with touching or knocking on the wood either aimed at gaining boon from friendly tree spirits or avoiding/pacifying malevolent tree spirits.
Buttering-up generally refers to doing something nice for someone to improve their perception of you, but in your scenario, I think it's more likely being used like "greases up" where you're suggesting that they were in a sticky situation and needed to go and cover themselves in grease with the aim of diving in and letting slipperiness and momentum carry them through.

WTF?

I have no idea but I reckon that Joe the goose derived from 'goosing' - Joe being the person at the back doing the goosing. Makes sense to me.
And I thought 'butters up' comes from the Marlon Brando movie Last Tango in Paris, but has the same meaning as greasing up as described earlier.

But perhaps I just have a dirty mind and this is what pops into my head.:(

I'm pretty sure this is a photograph captured by a birdwatcher in a bird-hide of the rare Joe-the-goose.
1c4429a37c432befae91e09ebf76c0cc

Why does the mobile site of Bigfooty have a full page ad that just randomly appears? I can tolerate the as at the top, fixed to the bottom of my screen and the bunch at the bottom of every page but then to just take over my entire screen? Get ****ed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there anyway someone can direct me to threads leading up to the 08 grand final, the game day thread and post match autopsy threads? Both Hawkie and Pussy board threads I'd love to read. I wasn't on this site then - I can only imagine how good they must have been.

I have searched but can not find.

Cheers for any help...

Correct me if im wrong here but I would imagine 95% of big footy posters are Male no?

Why am I continually getting full screen advertisements from 'Covergirl'?

Seems an odd place to advertise.

Correct me if im wrong here but I would imagine 95% of big footy posters are Male no?

Why am I continually getting full screen advertisements from 'Covergirl'?

Seems an odd place to advertise.

Targeted ads are usually based on your own cookies - so maybe you've been doing a lot of browsing for makeup lately??

Which footy show is clarko on tonight? Pretty sure it's classifides but can someone confirm. I'll be out tonight and want to IQ it. Cheers in advance.
Yep

Why does the mobile site of Bigfooty have a full page ad that just randomly appears? I can tolerate the as at the top, fixed to the bottom of my screen and the bunch at the bottom of every page but then to just take over my entire screen? Get ******.
Come on you love Covergirl products!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back