Preview R:8 - Swans v Giants - 1:45pm SCG - Saturday 4 May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But in pouring rain, it'll be harder for both key forwards and key defenders to take marks in contested situations. Given the importance of intercepting marks in the current way the game is played, you could argue the forecasted weather takes the importance of those kind of marks away and heightens the importance of crumbing and skills in tight in the forward 50; the ability to take quick chances in congestion. They've got fleet footed small forwards who go up and back excellently but I'm not sure they're proven as quick chance takers, other than Toby Greene of course and maybe Brent Daniels. Papley on our end is pretty good in that respect, Wicks as well so might be line ball.

I think the rain is helpful for us in taking their game away from them a little and making it a more scrappy affair. That said, it might mean Tom Green and Kieren Briggs goes berserk so could be swings and roundabouts.

Don't think its going to be pouring rain. At all.

1pm to 6pm looking like a decent dry slot on latest charts.

Heaviest rain appears to be overnight friday and sunday morning.

However it will be greasy.

Some charts are showing winds from the south at 30-40kmph.

We will need mobility and sure hands in the wet right through the team.
Amartey out for Parker.
McLean vital to spell Grundy. Big job.
Hayward vital to "tag" HH.
Fox in defence but can swing forward.
Sheldrick sub for Parker or Taylor tired legs.
As MP8 says, JJ to Whitfield.
Huge game.
If it as wet as everyone here are saying no need to be tagging a floating defender like The Hindenberg. Ball will be at ground level for long periods. Dry ground different story as he can mark and distribute cleanly.

Don't think its going to be pouring rain. At all.

1pm to 6pm looking like a decent dry slot on latest charts.

Heaviest rain appears to be overnight friday and sunday morning.

However it will be greasy.

Some charts are showing winds from the south at 30-40kmph.
Been up to many games at the SCG over the years but never in the wet or after a downpour. How does it drain these days ?

Seems there's a couple of players who they're going to assess during the week (Hayward is one, others not named) - they'll do light run today and see how they go on Thursday

Parker in the frame to come in, will wait until Thursday

Horse wants to play Campbell, admits he had a couple of down weeks

With the amount of rain coming down for the next week, I reckon a couple of changes could be useful. I'm keeping Amartey for longer-term this year in the side but with all this rain, we don't need him as badly I think up forward. You do need a solid contest in the air ahead of the ball, but I think McLean and Logan can do a good enough job in the wet given how slippery the ball is gonna be to bring it to ground and let the smalls pressure and tackle. Parker for Amartey makes sense to me but I reckon Sheldrick as sub could also be the way to go. Couldn't have more perfect weather for him to shine and if we brought him on in the 2nd half to get in the guts and win some ball as a fresh man, it could be just the tonic needed. Not convinced Rampe will play this week but if he does, the very unfortunate guy to go out is Fox.

So at this stage I'd go with the following:

B: Florent - Melican - Cunningham
HB: Blakey - McCartin - Roberts
C: Gulden - Rowbottom - Lloyd
HF: McInerney - McDonald - Adams
F: Papley - McLean - Hayward
R: Grundy - Heeney - Warner

I/C: Wicks - Fox/Rampe - Jordon - Parker

Sub: Sheldrick

Emer: Mitchell - Francis - Ladhams
I’m on the same page, although I’d keep Foxy because he’s an excellent role player and can help shut down their dangerous med/smalls… so even though Lloydy had a good game on the weekend I’d keep Foxy in ahead of him. But who am I kidding, that certainly ain’t gonna happen.

Rampe has looked old at times, no way am I rushing him back against a top side without a game under his belt, when Fox has performed his role well.

Rampe has looked old at times, no way am I rushing him back against a top side without a game under his belt, when Fox has performed his role well.

I don't disagree with the prospect of giving Rampe a game in the VFL as he works his way back to full fitness particularly after a soft tissue injury at his age - but I disagree that he's looked old this year when he played. He was playing very well before he got hurt IMO. Reality is though that his body will likely require management from now til retirement.

I don't disagree with the prospect of giving Rampe a game in the VFL as he works his way back to full fitness particularly after a soft tissue injury at his age - but I disagree that he's looked old this year when he played. He was playing very well before he got hurt IMO. Reality is though that his body will likely require management from now til retirement.

Just thought he looked slower, and was out bodied more easily than previously, plus his disposal looked off at times, kicking lacked penetration.

10 out of 10 presser from Horse, downplaying our stuff (e.g. Wicksy matter, Isaac’s form etc) while praising the hell out of the Giants.
Forgot that Parker has won 5 Brett Kirks, another reason he plays!
He also pointed out our 6 day turnaround … Giants have a big advantage in this respect and it may just be the factor that gets them over the line?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m on the same page, although I’d keep Foxy because he’s an excellent role player and can help shut down their dangerous med/smalls… so even though Lloydy had a good game on the weekend I’d keep Foxy in ahead of him. But who am I kidding, that certainly ain’t gonna happen.
Which part do you disagree with Bedders? On this season’s form, Foxy has been a better role player than Lloyd, and can defend better… but like I said it’s a moot point cause they won’t drop Lloyd ahead of Fox.

Which part do you disagree with Bedders? On this season’s form, Foxy has been a better role player than Lloyd, and can defend better… but like I said it’s a moot point cause they won’t drop Lloyd ahead of Fox.
Well Fox is actually a defender, Lloyd is not (he has never been a lockdown, one on one player), so it's no surprise he defends better or performs a lockdown role better.

If Rampe was to come back, then you'd push Fox forward again. Of course, with Wicks back, the question becomes whether they both fit. I think they do, but then (for me) it's probably JJ or Hayward in line, and the latter won't happen.

Edit: I don't think Rampe will actually be back this week, so Fox is probably needed down back. But if he was, then having Fox AND Wicks causing contests and applying pressure up forward, in greasy conditions, would be a thing of beauty (imo).

Last edited:
My god its frustrating as hell we just wanna hear everything will be ok!!
Soothing The Big Bang Theory GIF by CBS

With the amount of rain coming down for the next week, I reckon a couple of changes could be useful. I'm keeping Amartey for longer-term this year in the side but with all this rain, we don't need him as badly I think up forward. You do need a solid contest in the air ahead of the ball, but I think McLean and Logan can do a good enough job in the wet given how slippery the ball is gonna be to bring it to ground and let the smalls pressure and tackle. Parker for Amartey makes sense to me but I reckon Sheldrick as sub could also be the way to go. Couldn't have more perfect weather for him to shine and if we brought him on in the 2nd half to get in the guts and win some ball as a fresh man, it could be just the tonic needed. Not convinced Rampe will play this week but if he does, the very unfortunate guy to go out is Fox.

So at this stage I'd go with the following:

B: Florent - Melican - Cunningham
HB: Blakey - McCartin - Roberts
C: Gulden - Rowbottom - Lloyd
HF: McInerney - McDonald - Adams
F: Papley - McLean - Hayward
R: Grundy - Heeney - Warner

I/C: Wicks - Fox/Rampe - Jordon - Parker

Sub: Sheldrick

Emer: Mitchell - Francis - Ladhams
I like it. Be great to see Parks back

Lloyd will not be dropped , took 12 marks last week as well , will be in before Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back