Discussion Random Discussion (No Politics, Religion) - SHOW CHIN PASSPORT ON ENTRY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got to drive my mother in law's Tesla over the Christmas break. It is a fun car to drive, it's like a dodgem car, you let the accelerator off and it slows down without braking. The cruise control is outstanding and there are no dials just a big iPad in the middle of the dash that does everything. My brother in law hammered it off the line at every light. I took it a lot easier on it incase I smashed it and got disowned. It's got real hauling power and the cruise is incredible, we took it along the Nepean highway between Frankston and Dromana in self drive, the thing steers itself and slows if there are cars ahead of it slowing.

The only thing it did wrong was slowed for a car turning right in a different lane which was a worry. The steering is twitchy if you haven't got it in self drive too. She only has the basic intuitive cruise so if you pay to upgrade to a full self drive it probably does it better. The first time it hits a curve at 100kph it scares the sh*t out of you though, you have your hands a mm off the wheel. We convinced the old man to buy an S instead of the Benz now, he reckons he will once they update the body shell. I can't wait to drive it. The little one hammers, the big one must be like a rocket.
Tesla's are ripper cars but i really hate the giant Ipad in the middle of the dash, Using a phone is illegal in a car but that somehow is.

Just give me a small touchscreen and some basic switches

Australian open looking a bit more shaky.

Its going to take a minor miracle for Tennis Aus and the Vic govt to pull this event off without any covid ramifications.

Even if you are not a believer, I reckon we should all start praying now 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

( oops, just realised there’s both politics and religion in this post - sorry George)

Last edited:
So, reading that article;

Why would you tweet that you were let on a plane despite a positive test and thus outing yourself as a prick that doesn't care about spreading it by boarding the actual plane? "Oh, I knew I had a positive test and flew to a foreign country to play sport because I am disregarding all the things", even if it's a false positive, s**t look.

I got to drive my mother in law's Tesla over the Christmas break. It is a fun car to drive, it's like a dodgem car, you let the accelerator off and it slows down without braking. The cruise control is outstanding and there are no dials just a big iPad in the middle of the dash that does everything. My brother in law hammered it off the line at every light. I took it a lot easier on it incase I smashed it and got disowned. It's got real hauling power and the cruise is incredible, we took it along the Nepean highway between Frankston and Dromana in self drive, the thing steers itself and slows if there are cars ahead of it slowing.

The only thing it did wrong was slowed for a car turning right in a different lane which was a worry. The steering is twitchy if you haven't got it in self drive too. She only has the basic intuitive cruise so if you pay to upgrade to a full self drive it probably does it better. The first time it hits a curve at 100kph it scares the sh*t out of you though, you have your hands a mm off the wheel. We convinced the old man to buy an S instead of the Benz now, he reckons he will once they update the body shell. I can't wait to drive it. The little one hammers, the big one must be like a rocket.

A few mates have Teslas, including one with the S. It's a ridiculous car. I haven't driven it but when he puts his foot flat from a standing start you can barely breathe. Petrol cars are dead as a doornail.

A few mates have Teslas, including one with the S. It's a ridiculous car. I haven't driven it but when he puts his foot flat from a standing start you can barely breathe. Petrol cars are dead as a doornail.
I think the best preforming tesla's 0-100 is as good as a Bugatti Chrion's

I know the world will move pass petrol cars but there is nothing better sounding then a solid V8 engine at high revs

I think the best preforming tesla's 0-100 is as good as a Bugatti Chrion's

Yeah, the interesting part though (I've never been in a proper sports car) is that it's instant - foot goes down and you're moving - barely any feeling of acceleration, just instant speed.

Personally I never bothered getting into cars, which I'm pretty happy about seeing the amount of money some people spend on them. Same with golf and skiing. These guys blow so much money on this stuff.

Yeah, the interesting part though (I've never been in a proper sports car) is that it's instant - foot goes down and you're moving - barely any feeling of acceleration, just instant speed.

Personally I never bothered getting into cars, which I'm pretty happy about seeing the amount of money some people spend on them. Same with golf and skiing. These guys blow so much money on this stuff.

Also not a car guy, it's got wheels and can avoid random wildlife it was fine, didn't matter the pedigree. But back 3 years ago, we were doing something with a V12 before they hit in the market, was the 3rd one produced world wide at the time and we had it because yay fortune 500 company? Anywho, can always appreciate when there's great engineering involved and that thing was a beast then we stuck it in a camaro.

Dan Andrews and TA are not only putting us at risk, but the next AFL season and all community sport at risk.

Can the AO immediately. Why is stupid tennis more important than AFL or community sport or other seasonal professional sports.
Disgusted in this going ahead.
When has anyone said the AFL season is a risk?

1000s are arriving every week up until this point. Why is this an issue about a tennis tournament and not just international arrivals in general?
Dan Andrews and TA are not only putting us at risk, but the next AFL season and all community sport at risk.

Can the AO immediately. Why is stupid tennis more important than AFL or community sport or other seasonal professional sports.
Disgusted in this going ahead.

1000s are arriving every week up until this point. Why is this an issue about a tennis tournament and not just international arrivals in general?
Because they are selfish entitled prima donna's already breaking protocol who can go out 5 hours a day.
They are full of the UK variant and our quarantine caused the last lockdown.

Easy for you to say from WA, you didn't go through an 86 day lockdown.

If it gets out say goodbye to AFL 2021. You good with that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because they are selfish entitled prima donna's already breaking protocol who can go out 5 hours a day.

Why do you think the AFL will not run a competition in 2021 if we have another major outbreak?

No I just think its a bigger problem than the AO.

The issue for mine is international travel and why its still occurring.

My wife is a nurse. She has had international arrivals end up on her ward to visit people on compassionate grounds. They are meant to be in quarantine.

There are staff and front line workers who have to process these arrivals and come into contact with them.

Why should they be exposed to this risk without any control, which in turn means we risk putting millions into lock down all for what is it 2-4k a week international arrivals.

Scomo should have stopped all arrivals until front line staff could be vaccinated and were then protected.

Instead we get what you are seeing with the AO only 4x the scale and repeating every damn week. Not just a one off.

My wife is a nurse. She has had international arrivals end up on her ward to visit people on compassionate grounds. They are meant to be in quarantine.

There are staff and front line workers who have to process these arrivals and come into contact with them.

Why should they be exposed to this risk without any control, which in turn means we risk putting millions into lock down all for what is it 2-4k a week international arrivals.

Scomo should have stopped all arrivals until front line staff could be vaccinated and were then protected.

Instead we get what you are seeing with the AO only 4x the scale and repeating every damn week. Not just a one off.

Because in a perfect world, the ruby princess is actually patrolled so they don't breach sovereign borders instead of the half arsed s**t that was pulled originally, because we have an idea that there will come a time where modern medicine goes "I dunno" about stopping a pathogen, and instead of a low spike of "just the sick". Which is callous BS that people largely accept as they're sick already right being the ones to die? You instead get massive quick death and we're all stuffed, too bad so sad, we had all these warnings that we disregarded.

Because if we can't handle this without half arsing it and it being a year long process when you're on an island, surrounded by nothing but water for a few thousand km and effectively get breached border wise from a known vessel in a "home port", you're pretty screwed in a doomsday scenario.

Why not let people in, it's not like you have the actual capacity or will to stop them.

While I agree, they are Australian citizens who have a right before 1100 overpaid prima donna's who are already breaking quarantine and can go out for 5 hours a day.
A disaster in the making.

Why do you think the AFL will not run a competition in 2021 if we have another major outbreak?

Yep, can't see this year being worse than last so IMO zero chance the AFL doesn't go ahead. There's a chance games are moved around, depending on the location of outbreaks, but one way or another the season will happen in its entirety.

Because in a perfect world, the ruby princess is actually patrolled so they don't breach sovereign borders instead of the half arsed sh*t that was pulled originally, because we have an idea that there will come a time where modern medicine goes "I dunno" about stopping a pathogen, and instead of a low spike of "just the sick". Which is callous BS that people largely accept as they're sick already right being the ones to die? You instead get massive quick death and we're all stuffed, too bad so sad, we had all these warnings that we disregarded.

Because if we can't handle this without half arsing it and it being a year long process when you're on an island, surrounded by nothing but water for a few thousand km and effectively get breached border wise from a known vessel in a "home port", you're pretty screwed in a doomsday scenario.

Why not let people in, it's not like you have the actual capacity or will to stop them.

Ruby Princess wasn't as culpable as people seem to think.
Yeah you can crap on about sovereign borders, but it was a ship that left Sydney, went to NZ and stopped at one port, then back to Sydney.
To those in charge it was probably like the Manly ferry compared to the other vessels at the time.
The border breach was actually the airline into Sydney, which was uncontrolled at that time.
You could even say that, even with the breach, the Ruby Princess contained the virus.

I agree with your "just the sick " comments totally.

What model do they have mate?

I'm keen on an electric car but waiting a few more years until the big car companies introduce more offerings and drive the price down a little. Need something to fit a family of 4 with boot space, TBH I'll prob wait until the kids are no longer in prams/strollers so that boot space isn't as much of an issue but would want a decent size car at under $70k for a new one.

The model 3 top of the range model looks great but I saw one the other day that must have been the base package and it's not amazing for a $68k car.

The Kia can serve us for a few more years :D.

Mazda Skyactive diesels are probably more carbon efficient than the Electricity supply for electric cars in Victoria, unless you have already gone down the full Powerwall path.

Probably right, but most people aren't buying the car just for this year, and the grid is moving inexorably in the direction of being more renewable. (Renewables get investors way better returns these days.) So electric is guaranteed to be more carbon efficient over a 5-10 year time horizon.

Probably right, but most people aren't buying the car just for this year, and the grid is moving inexorably in the direction of being more renewable. (Renewables get investors way better returns these days.) So electric is guaranteed to be more carbon efficient over a 5-10 year time horizon.

That's actually a serious issue. The easiest power generation to invest in/build is to get some solar equipment out of shipping containers and sell your power on sunny days.
Investors have no cause to worry that there will not be enough electricity produced on still nights.
A large uptake of solar cars will probably cause an increased demand for electricity at night which will mean the aging coal stations will continue to be used, with little motivation for anyone to replace them with a better solution.
The more that is invested in low reliability renewables ( sun NEVER shines at night , and wind is erratic most days ) , means the less sure anyone can be of getting a good payback from a high reliability power station.
Rolling blackouts are now common place in California.

That's actually a serious issue. The easiest power generation to invest in/build is to get some solar equipment out of shipping containers and sell your power on sunny days.
Investors have no cause to worry that there will not be enough electricity produced on still nights.
A large uptake of solar cars will probably cause an increased demand for electricity at night which will mean the aging coal stations will continue to be used, with little motivation for anyone to replace them with a better solution.
The more that is invested in low reliability renewables ( sun NEVER shines at night , and wind is erratic most days ) , means the less sure anyone can be of getting a good payback from a high reliability power station.
Rolling blackouts are now common place in California.

Yeah, the hope is that batteries work well enough to make up for it. If grid prices are high at night then that also creates a bunch of incentive to plug in storage, fill it during the day, run it down at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back