Discussion Random Discussion (No Politics, Religion) - SHOW CHIN PASSPORT ON ENTRY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What model do they have mate?

I'm keen on an electric car but waiting a few more years until the big car companies introduce more offerings and drive the price down a little. Need something to fit a family of 4 with boot space, TBH I'll prob wait until the kids are no longer in prams/strollers so that boot space isn't as much of an issue but would want a decent size car at under $70k for a new one.

The model 3 top of the range model looks great but I saw one the other day that must have been the base package and it's not amazing for a $68k car.

The Kia can serve us for a few more years :D.

It's the model 3 with a single motor. It's plenty powerful enough for every day driving. It's got a stupid esky sized front boot because of the motor doesn't need to be under the bonnet, the back boot is decent though. I don't know if she's got it loaded but it's nicely appointed in a pared back way. It's got a glass roof and nice leather. The fake wood dashboard trim looks cheap though. It's a good system because you can upgrade through downloads. You have a battery that is limited but exactly the same as the big one with a base model, you can pay to have extra stuff downloaded to unlock features. It needs to come down a lot before I buy one. It would need some more range too.

My mum has had a couple of Toyota hybrids and I thought they'd be s**t but they have been super reliable cars and never had a battery die on her. The Prius has terrible vision because of the weird angles and is a boring car. I like the Subaru hybrid, it seems like the tried Toyota system.

Yeah, the interesting part though (I've never been in a proper sports car) is that it's instant - foot goes down and you're moving - barely any feeling of acceleration, just instant speed.

Personally I never bothered getting into cars, which I'm pretty happy about seeing the amount of money some people spend on them. Same with golf and skiing. These guys blow so much money on this stuff.

Bothered with physics?

It's the model 3 with a single motor. It's plenty powerful enough for every day driving. It's got a stupid esky sized front boot because of the motor doesn't need to be under the bonnet, the back boot is decent though. I don't know if she's got it loaded but it's nicely appointed in a pared back way. It's got a glass roof and nice leather. The fake wood dashboard trim looks cheap though. It's a good system because you can upgrade through downloads. You have a battery that is limited but exactly the same as the big one with a base model, you can pay to have extra stuff downloaded to unlock features. It needs to come down a lot before I buy one. It would need some more range too.

My mum has had a couple of Toyota hybrids and I thought they'd be sh*t but they have been super reliable cars and never had a battery die on her. The Prius has terrible vision because of the weird angles and is a boring car. I like the Subaru hybrid, it seems like the tried Toyota system.

Most modern cars have plenty of performance.
I get frustrated because the roads seem to be constantly clogged with drivers who just don't seem to get their vehicles moving when the lights change.
If i could get hold of an old 25hp volkswagon beetle i'd be out to prove that it could keep up with traffic on most suburban roads ( i assume it would struggle on freeways, the top speed was only 100km/h ).
Not sure why we have this reluctance to put the foot down for a green light.

Most modern cars have plenty of performance.
I get frustrated because the roads seem to be constantly clogged with drivers who just don't seem to get their vehicles moving when the lights change.
If i could get hold of an old 25hp volkswagon beetle i'd be out to prove that it could keep up with traffic on most suburban roads ( i assume it would struggle on freeways, the top speed was only 100km/h ).
Not sure why we have this reluctance to put the foot down for a green light.

It takes a few seconds to realise the lights have changed when they are looking at their phones.

It takes a few seconds to realise the lights have changed when they are looking at their phones.
I hope you are wrong but.....perhaps you are right.

At the risk of being accused of being racist , i wonder if some of it is due to drivers from overseas having most of their experience in vastly different conditions.
A guy i used to work with on occasion was Indian Nationality but had grown up in the UK. He was telling me how bad the traffic was in India, and that many drivers would never reach 60km/h ever.
Take a driver from these conditions , and put them on a reasonably open road with 80km/h limit, and they may find it daunting.

Then there are other places i've experienced first hand in Asia.
The traffic lights seem to be set up very differently. I've been there dismayed at the huge backup of traffic, only to have the lights turn green for what seems a very long time and get a lot of cars through.

Some of our local traffic lights seem to struggle with vehicles like the now prevalent B-Doubles, there might be twenty cars waiting to turn right, the B-Double gets around but no-one else.

I hope you are wrong but.....perhaps you are right.

At the risk of being accused of being racist , i wonder if some of it is due to drivers from overseas having most of their experience in vastly different conditions.
A guy i used to work with on occasion was Indian Nationality but had grown up in the UK. He was telling me how bad the traffic was in India, and that many drivers would never reach 60km/h ever.
Take a driver from these conditions , and put them on a reasonably open road with 80km/h limit, and they may find it daunting.

Then there are other places i've experienced first hand in Asia.
The traffic lights seem to be set up very differently. I've been there dismayed at the huge backup of traffic, only to have the lights turn green for what seems a very long time and get a lot of cars through.

Some of our local traffic lights seem to struggle with vehicles like the now prevalent B-Doubles, there might be twenty cars waiting to turn right, the B-Double gets around but no-one else.

I'd say it happens daily where I pull up to traffic lights and the person next to me or in front of me is clearly looking at their phone and not paying attention to the signals. Not that I haven't been guilty of that myself in the past either.

I think it's a fair comment to make that there will be people in countries like India who have never (or rarely) driven in open road conditions and been able to put their foot down in open space.

I grew up in Scotland where it rains all the time and the drivers there I would say are much better at driving in heavy rain and snow/ice and understand the conditions better than those over here even where you don't find yourself driving in torrential rain for extended periods that long. It's just practice and understanding the dangers from experience. Having to slam the breaks on in heavy rain or snow once will change the way you drive going forward.

My mum has had a couple of Toyota hybrids and I thought they'd be sh*t but they have been super reliable cars and never had a battery die on her. The Prius has terrible vision because of the weird angles and is a boring car. I like the Subaru hybrid, it seems like the tried Toyota system.

Yeah I have heard the performance is amazing. I might be getting mixed up with the models - I thought maybe the performance Model 3 had sportier looking alloys than the standard plus as an example, but I'm not that well versed in it. Can't afford one just now anyway and would like something that is a bit bigger than the Kia Sportage for the space. Can see us doing more family holidays in Australia over the next few years as opposed to going overseas and driving with the kids is a tight squeeze with prams and with car seats can't really fit anyone else in the car. First world problem for sure though.

I love the Tesla brand and hopefully one day will get one, be interesting to see what the other major players do given Tesla have spend a couple of decades working on the technology and I think pretty much have command over their entire supply chain and the tech they use in the cars.

I'd say it happens daily where I pull up to traffic lights and the person next to me or in front of me is clearly looking at their phone and not paying attention to the signals. Not that I haven't been guilty of that myself in the past either.

I think it's a fair comment to make that there will be people in countries like India who have never (or rarely) driven in open road conditions and been able to put their foot down in open space.

I grew up in Scotland where it rains all the time and the drivers there I would say are much better at driving in heavy rain and snow/ice and understand the conditions better than those over here even where you don't find yourself driving in torrential rain for extended periods that long. It's just practice and understanding the dangers from experience. Having to slam the breaks on in heavy rain or snow once will change the way you drive going forward.

I was in Germany, outside a restaurant high on a hill overlooking the town. It had started snowing and the local said, "ah first snow, we will have some road accidents tonight " sure enough 10 minutes late the red and blue lights are flashing.

Ruby Princess wasn't as culpable as people seem to think.
Yeah you can crap on about sovereign borders, but it was a ship that left Sydney, went to NZ and stopped at one port, then back to Sydney.
To those in charge it was probably like the Manly ferry compared to the other vessels at the time.
The border breach was actually the airline into Sydney, which was uncontrolled at that time.
You could even say that, even with the breach, the Ruby Princess contained the virus.

I agree with your "just the sick " comments totally.
There is no world in which letting sick passengers off the ruby princess with no quarantine process was "containing the virus".

Of course it didn't "contain the virus"
How did the virus get on board the cruise ship? It wasn't contained then either.
You're the one who said it contained the virus. Read your second last sentence from the first post I quoted. Don't ridicule me ridiculing your own comments 😂

You're the one who said it contained the virus. Read your second last sentence from the first post I quoted. Don't ridicule me ridiculing your own comments 😂

If the people who got off the plane hadn't got on the Ruby princess, they could have spread it to any and everyone . It was contained on a boat for a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After 14 days in strict hotel quarantine, the world’s elite tennis stars took to the courts in the Australian Open 👍🏻

NNAYB9F.gif

How's it being handled over there MUF? From your perspective is it a national policy issue thats allowing this to run rampant or more locally?
Johnson and his government have been all over place. They have been moving the goalposts since the pandemic started almost a year ago, constantly tightening and then easing controls. Schools have been opened and closed several times now; the government was telling people it was fine to mix with family at Christmas, only to reverse that just a few days before Christmas day. We now have five tiers of restrictions, with areas being bounced around different restrictions all the time. They ended the first lockdown too early then paid the price. They are caught between a rampant virus and a fear of the economic consequences of restrictions and lockdowns. Complete shambles which has undoubtedly cost lives.

I watched Wolf Creek 2 a couple of nights ago. Didn't enjoy it as much as the first film and must say I'm disappointed at Mick Taylor's attitude towards the English, which is rather unfriendly.

By the way, Mick kept making me think of Plugger66!

Were'nt the Indian cricketers brilliant today? When you consider they were missing their ca[yain nd best batsman, just about their whole forsy choice bowling attack, they did a marvellous job.
I think the Australian team could do with a major clean out, from the coach down..
India were unbelievable this series, can't think of a team even closely that depleted winning a test - let alone an away series.

Not sure about the 'clean out' call. Don't forget this is the team that just retained the ashes in England and clean sweeped Pakistan and then NZ (current #1 test team). Definitely some time for reflection but let's not get carried away

Were'nt the Indian cricketers brilliant today? When you consider they were missing their ca[yain nd best batsman, just about their whole forsy choice bowling attack, they did a marvellous job.
I think the Australian team could do with a major clean out, from the coach down..
India were fantastic BB. Absolute lions to turn around all out for 36, Kohli leaving and that injury list. Australia were outplayed and well beaten strategically. Won’t be the first or last time our arrogance loses a series. Definitely think our bowlers need a shake up and we need a couple of top order guys that aren’t going to throw away their wicket - Marnus was practically an opener all series. Going to be a lot of reflection after this one I think.

Yeah I have heard the performance is amazing. I might be getting mixed up with the models - I thought maybe the performance Model 3 had sportier looking alloys than the standard plus as an example, but I'm not that well versed in it. Can't afford one just now anyway and would like something that is a bit bigger than the Kia Sportage for the space. Can see us doing more family holidays in Australia over the next few years as opposed to going overseas and driving with the kids is a tight squeeze with prams and with car seats can't really fit anyone else in the car. First world problem for sure though.

I love the Tesla brand and hopefully one day will get one, be interesting to see what the other major players do given Tesla have spend a couple of decades working on the technology and I think pretty much have command over their entire supply chain and the tech they use in the cars.

I have no idea about Tesla other than looking at hers and reading little bits on line. My brother in law thinks that Tesla have electric cars monopolised at the moment, they have systems to track all their cars and manage information in real time so always improving while others are just dipping their toes in the water. He's got a Benz that has some lane holding technology so sort of drives it's self and intuitive cruise but it's like a different world in the way it works. The Tesla literally does it for you, the Benz feels like it's 10 years older and more a novelty. I can't wait to see what they are like in 5 years.

We do camping trips every year and go on lots of trips up to the country and what ever car we have there is never enough room. Kids seem to take a room full of stuff everywhere you go. We have a roof pod and a mid sized SUV and we can't fit everything we'd like to take. Our friends who camp with us have a big SUV and ended up buying a cage trailer to take everything they need. I'm pretty sure when I camped as a kid you could fit everything in a boot of a sedan. Then again I think you could still buy cars without back seatbelts in the 80s.

No it's just the left wing or right wing responses to the virus I'm talking about.

I don't care who was running the state, i'm simply understanding why a ship departing Sydney and coming back to Sydney could have be considered low risk at the time. At a time when the focus was still on China and Italy and flights were still operating from the USA, at a time where Quarantine was "self quarantine " which the passengers were told to do.

I don't care who was running the state, i'm simply understanding why a ship departing Sydney and coming back to Sydney could have be considered low risk at the time. At a time when the focus was still on China and Italy and flights were still operating from the USA, at a time where Quarantine was "self quarantine " which the passengers were told to do.
The NSW government knew there was positive cases on board. They then chose to ask to passengers to self quarantine instead of enforcing quarantine which led to the first outbreak in Australia. The rest of the goings on at the time don't really matter given the above information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back