News Ray, Maister & Milera Re-sign

Remove this Banner Ad

Farren has definitely earned his contract extension, and is playing consistent football.
Maister is, in my opinion, good for depth as i've mentioned in the list management thread, and although he should start outside the 22 at the start of next year, hopefully he can force his way back in through excellent form.
I can't understand why we've re-signed Milera. The only reason would be purely because Milne is set to retire and Saad may be suspended, rather than because he's truly earned it through form.

Re-signing Milera has me puzzled? Is it because both Milne and Schneider are set to depart? Soft as butter, he needs to spend the Summer in the gym. But, I can't see that happening.

Hardly inspiring news eh? (although, i'm really happy for Faz)
Guys, we can't throw out the baby with the bath water when it comes to Terry. He is the type of player we need to get games into as we rebuild the list until the elite players we draft over the next 4 years join Armo, Steven et al in our best 22. He has played some fantastic VFL, I'm sure he will do the same at AFL.

Guys, we can't throw out the baby with the bath water when it comes to Terry. He is the type of player we need to get games into as we rebuild the list until the elite players we draft over the next 4 years join Armo, Steven et al in our best 22. He has played some fantastic VFL, I'm sure he will do the same at AFL.

Some players are fantastic at VFL and hopeless in the AFL. Some guys just cannot make the change.

Milera lost me when he did the worst head duck that I have ever seen in any St Kilda player. But maybe we can trade him to SA.

I agree. He at least has all the tools (skills) to make it. It is up to him to work on the other things and become a more complete player. I gather he has worked out the homesick issues.

There's a lot to work with with Milera. One ordinary season doesn't mean he has to go. Plenty of talent there, just needs to get back to his 2012 form. I lost it at that head duck as well but if we're going to delist players after one mistake then we'll have no one left.

Next year is going to be another development year so hopefully Maister becomes a handy depth player. Need to get games into guys like Lee, White, Hickey, Siposs, Markworth who will be around in 4-5 years time.

Agree

I agree with you Brian. We've done the hard work with Terry, and over the next few years we should collect on that investment. He may not be a first 22 player in 5 years time, who knows??? Our list will have developed by then and hopefully it will be so talented that some of these intermediate aged players will become obsolete, having performed their role of transitioning the club through the rebuild.

Ray is the only one anywhere near our best 22 right now. I have hopes that Milera will get better with time. Maister played a good game or two, but is purely and simply back-up. Overall, not as exciting as the last round of signings, but with Kosi, Blake, Milne, Schnieder and possibly one or two more going it isn't like we need room in the cap and it is hard to replace too many players. Not the worst decision we've made this year, really.

well said BS

also people have to remember saad is facing a 2 year ban. milne a rape case next year. schneider injury prone

doesnt leave many options

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:thumbsu: Minchington and Milera for now as Milne/Saad have their issues and Schneider, if fit, will likely play further up the ground and possibly through the midfield as well....

well said BS

also people have to remember saad is facing a 2 year ban. milne a rape case next year. schneider injury prone

Whilst I agree entirely, perhaps no dedicated small forwards will allow us to develop a better engine?

well said BS

While it is true that all three of those players may well be unavailable to us. Does this mean we need to keep a small forward, or continue to train mid fielders, some of which may end up as small forwards capable of helping out in the mid field.

Ray deserves it.
Maister obviously for depth as Lee has gone past him now.
Milera probably likewise re: depth. I'm not a fan of milera. Fine he has skills, but look at someone like Bradley hill who is slight aswell but goes really hard at it. Not the worst thing to resign him so hopefully he can improve heaps.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2013-08-08/watters-lauds-resigned-saints

Watters “Obviously he (Milera) is coming off the ankle operation which brought his season to an end. I’m really optimistic about the sort of pre-season he needs to do to elevate himself to spend a little bit more time through the midfield.”

“Whilst he’s a 23 or 24-year-old, he’s still pretty young from a football maturity point of view. We think there is some good footy in front of Terry. He’s a South Australian boy so to lock him into the club was a really good thing for us.”

"I’m really impressed with the way Farren made some changes to his game which is harder to do later in your career… It’s a real credit to him.”

“Beau Maister has been a really good worker for us and its disappointing that he’s missed a lot of footy. He had an outstanding pre-season… We’ve missed his level of maturity out there on a weekly basis.”

“We are happy with the signings.”

Whilst I agree entirely, perhaps no dedicated small forwards will allow us to develop a better engine?

While it is true that all three of those players may well be unavailable to us. Does this mean we need to keep a small forward, or continue to train mid fielders, some of which may end up as small forwards capable of helping out in the mid field.

i have to admit i was shocked as well and am also in favor of playing younger mids like saunders out of the pocket to maximise development

watters comments on milera being very immature football wise are interesting, he must have faith in milera to develop further, round out the weaknesses in his game and turn into a player

well said BS

yep, it sure doesn't Saad, will be gone for 2 years, milne will be asked to retire (i hope) Schneider as you said is now injury prone and will be a year to year prospect. so re smalls you will be left with milera and minchington. thats it boys. so its good that he wants to stay and its good that we re-signed him.

yep, it sure doesn't Saad, will be gone for 2 years, milne will be asked to retire (i hope) Schneider as you said is now injury prone and will be a year to year prospect. so re smalls you will be left with milera and minchington. thats it boys. so its good that he wants to stay and its good that we re-signed him.
I wouldn't say that's it. We have Milera and TDL, who are more mature. Then out of the younger blokes we have Curren, Minch and even Saunders can play that role if need be. Plus, we'll probably introduce new midfield prospects in the small pocket role like we've done this year.

However, in terms of experienced small forwards, Milera and TDL may be the only two prospects we have left (which doesn't fill me with heaps of confidence, I'll admit)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back