Autopsy Rd 1 - We Flog Brisbane, But at What Cost

Remove this Banner Ad

Chapman is only a couple of weeks away too supposedly and he sound be a good quality replacement for Hughes

Brisbane have real trouble moving the ball out of defense without Rich or Coleman biting off the risky flat option and they weren't good enough at the stoppages without Neale to make a long kick down the line anything but a win for us.

If they didn't score from some absolutely shocking turnovers early in the first quarter they might barely have scored all game.

I don't think Freo were that much better at moving the ball either, we just dominated the ball in the stoppages and tackled really solidly - I'm not sure Brisbane had more than 3 forward stoppages and all of them were throw ins.

The side looked to tackle well, contest well, not crowd each other in the stoppage so able to move the ball around and create time and space.

Treacy took some nice marks, very happy to see that. Also setting up the forward line really well, he was calling Cox into the corridor prior to that contest where Cox picked up the spillage and kicked the goal. Treacy put him in position for that.
Jye Amiss is too fast on the lead and the forward line get right out of the way for him.

Luke Jackson was clunking them at full height, that's really exciting to me.

Alex Pearce was our best player behind the ball early.

Poor start again but rectified it just on 1/4 time. After that we held sway reasonably comfortably.

Great games from Serong, Jackson, Treacy and Pearce.

bump on the votes

I saw a team of players today that are realising they are getting very close to having the required body strength of AFL players.

The way we tackled and broke tackles shows that confidence levels are high and that the goal at the end of last year to get bigger and stronger has been achieved.

For all the criticism the club has received from various quarters of late, they deserve some credit for getting back to work very efficiently after a disappointing season.

I can actually see us us physically dominating some teams this year and it should start next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Walters was putting in lots of chases, and speaking of chases - how was that Charlie Cameron getting matched for pace by a much larger, and basically free Sharp??

That's all we need out of a wingman, run around, get it a bit, send it as far as you can inside fifty - especially when the mids are on top like they were for at least two and a half quarters in the middle of the game.

Michael Walters was putting in lots of chases, and speaking of chases - how was that Charlie Cameron getting matched for pace by a much larger, and basically free Sharp??

That's all we need out of a wingman, run around, get it a bit, send it as far as you can inside fifty - especially when the mids are on top like they were for at least two and a half quarters in the middle of the game.
I was right near that and blown away at Sharps leg speed

I was one of the many high on the Sharp acquisition from the get-go, and great to see the faith pay off. Used his pace really well and knew where to run, the kicking improved as the game went on (early on I thought his kicks were a bit loopy), and I thought he competed quite well, which was probably 1 of the bigger question marks about him.

Freo look hard to play against again. Like the Dockers are going to make you earn it.
On the back of this Hughes will make some mistakes & it’s enhanced because supporters are looking for them specifically from him.

But if you want someone to throw themselves at a contest with no care for his own safety, Hughes will do it.

Current coaching is about enhancing players strengths, there a reason he plays & instead of looking at his negatives, look at what he brings to his teammates.

You can put Banfield in that basket as well. You can’t play 22 potential Brownlow medallist’s, the salary cap doesn’t allow for it, a number of players are there to play a role.

Sharp played a great role too & will get even better.

Serong was just magnificent. A footballing wall. Only 2 Brisbane players had more than half of that. Add in that two big blokes capitalised on his hard work, that makes us harder to beat.
Injuries suck but everyone gets them. Brisbane were clearly missing Neale. He would've got half of Serongs touches.
I'm not going to bag anyone too much because so many have played well tonight.
Good game of football and bring on next week.

I was right near that and blown away at Sharps leg speed
That got me up and about too. So good to have a bit of speed and be able to put the Charlie Camerons and the like under pressure as they kick or even tackle them and increase our chances of a rebound or intercept. Charlie was kept pretty quiet I thought.

Some great stuff today. However, that first stint was legwork, nothing more. Time and again, Brisbane outnumbered us. We got back in and suddenly flipped a switch; we outworked them after that point. That's what we need to do from the gun, week in week out. North are a talented bunch, but weak defensively. Outwork them we win, if not? Meh.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hughes had the most rust of all, tbn I was screaming obscenities for his first half dozen disposals, but he worked into it.

Assume Ryan will need to go tall and Walker to come in with Voss/Tabs filling the void up forward. As for Worner, a shame, he was playing well.... Can Pearce, Ryan, Hughes, Walker, Clark, Draper, Aish work?

Just still blown away in how well we clicked.

Treacy proved me wrong. Great performance, but as I’ve said for 12 months he is pretty bloody good in the ruck. If Draper isn’t up to it though we have to possibly unfortunately put him in the backline.

Feel like there shouldn’t be any unforced changes after a win..back in the ones who played poor ones eg; Johnson, Emmett

In: JOM, Voss and Draper (let the kid have a go at the vacant spot for now)

Out: Omac, Cox and Worner

Banfield stays back to cover Worners spot, Voss in as 3rd fwd, Draper gets first go in Omac spot and JOM plays FWD/Wing which banners did early today.

If Draper is out of his depth we’ll have to consider Treacy or another FWD.

Let’s not rush Walker in just yet. A game or two more to build up his body of work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back