Preview Rd 10 2013: Brisbane Lions v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and Webke on 7 news said we're playing on Saturday so that's an extra day to prepare.:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

:oops:
Be lucky to get any coverage at all for a while. State of Origin will dominate all media now till its over. Care factor for AFL will be nill.

At the risk of repeating myself there is more chance of myself lining up at CHB this week than Goose

Deadset. How bad does Cousin Jed have to play to get dropped. Driving Vossy's kids to school etc...

and Ace as the sub is a terrible idea, he is not an impact player.

I agree he hasn't been in the past.... But if he only has 1 and a half quarters why not see what he can do running is butt off into space? He might take 10 marks! That would be an impact!

Nup, couldn't disagree more re: Redden Lionator. Would prefer Redden in the guts every day of the week.

IMO would be a waste to leave him solely up forward.
Don't we all agree that Redden's best games this year have been when he's forward of centre?

I am missing something here? I thought he was returning through the reserves over the last 2 weeks.

Played the Swans game but was in a knee brace at the conclusion. Didn't play against GWS and didn't play (I believe) against Southport.

Also Bartlett is on the rookie list. Cannot play without elevation.

Unless I'm wrong with Sam Michaels elevation last week we have no LTI spots available & he will have to wait for mid year elevation spot.

The Barometer

BRISBANE

INJURIES
Daniel Merrett (suspension) 2 weeks
Claye Beams (knee) season
Stef Martin (ankle) 2 weeks
Jared Polec (ankle) 2 weeks
Jesse O’Brien (adductor) test
Matt McGuire (ankle) test
Daniel Rich (shoulder) 3 weeks
Steven Wrigley (knee) season
Matthew Leuenberger (finger) TBA
Mitch Golby (foot) TBA

ON THE BLOCK: Jonathan Brown has been offered a one-match ban for his clumsy hit on Blues defender Michael Jamison (watch it below). Ruckman Matthew Leuenberger will be assessed during the week after badly dislocating a finger against Carlton. It’s hard to see the Lions taking a risk with the big bloke ahead of their Round 11 bye. Sam Michael could only muster four disposals – with just one handball to halftime. Sam Docherty, who replaced Mitch Golby before the game, picked up 15 disposals at 60 per cent efficiency.

ON THE CUSP: Mitch Golby will be given every chance to get up after being a late withdrawal on Saturday. Reserves Jack Crisp, Marco Paparone and Aaron Cornelius kicked goals in the Lions’ soft NEAFL win. Justin Clarke is available after serving his one-match suspension.

GILBERT GARDINER’S FORECAST: The Lions had their colours lowered, no doubt. But they showed plenty of fight in the second term – to take the lead at half time – after being jumped in the first quarter. And, it only gets tougher for Michael Voss’s men with Collingwood, stung by its heavy loss to Sydney, on the horizon.

COLLINGWOOD

INJURIES
Heath Shaw (back) TBA
Tyson Goldsack (hip) test
Michael Hartley (shoulder) 1 week
Dayne Beams (quad) 4-5 weeks
Clinton Young (hamstring) 1-2 weeks
Jackson Ramsay (wrist) 5-6 weeks
Alex Fasolo (foot) indefinite
Dale Thomas (ankle) indefinite
Alan Toovey (knee) season

ON THE BLOCK:Apparently Jolly loves to live on the edge (of a seat in the stands). Having escaped suspension last week for a hit on Geelong's Mathew Stokes, Jolly again flirted with the MRP with a bit of high contact on little Benny McGlynn. The Pies' big man dilemma is more than a little complex, with rookie Jarrod Witts continuing to struggle. He had possessions and four hitouts before being subbed out in the third quarter against Sydney.

ON THE CUSP: Barring another setback, Heath Shaw will surely be the tonic that Collingwood fans and thousands of SuperCoaches need this week. A minor back complaint prevented him from returning from suspension against Sydney, but he should slot straight back in this week. Ruckman Ben Hudson will also be eyeing another chapter in his AFL renaissance, having had 29 hitouts and 21 possessions in the VFL.

ADRIAN BALLANTYNE'S FORECAST: Up one week. Down the next. The Pies can't seem to get things going this season, and what a month ago might have seemed a cakewalk assignment against Brisbane on the Lions' home deck now seems a genuine danger game. At least the Pies have a relatively soft run after that with matches against Melbourne and the Bulldogs before their Round 13 bye.

^^^^^^^

and what a month ago might have seemed a cakewalk assignment against Brisbane on the Lions' home deck now seems a genuine danger game. At least the Pies have a relatively soft run after that with matches against Melbourne and the Bulldogs before their Round 13 bye.

I am glad that there is a bit of recognition of the gap between us and those clubs. We're probably still in that 2nd bottom tier along with Gold Coast, St Kilda and maybe Port if they can get some form back. I think most of us were hoping for a jump up into the middle of the road tier. But there is a decent gap between the 2nd bottom tier and GWS, Melbourne and the Dogs (which of course makes round 1 even more galling).

We are genuinely hard to beat at home. I'm not sure we can maintain that this week with things against us but, under normal circumstances, clubs now know that they are in for a tough time at the Gabba. Last year, our 3 losses at home in rounds 1-9 were by 91, 38 and 58 points against the sides that ended up finishing 10th, 6th and 4th. In 2013, our losses have been by 19, 26 and 13 points against sides which are currently 6th, 7th and 8th. As frustrating as it is to lose 3 winnable games at home, we have progressed from this time 12 months ago. It isn't good enough to miss those opportunities but it is an improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn...thought that was coming:thumbsdown:

Feel for Luey and that injury prone body. He worked his guts out to get his legs right only to to cop an innocuous knock to the thumb.

Oh well In Billy we trust. :)

This times infinity. How Brown can get rubbed out for 2 weeks and Jolly get's off, there had to be less or at least equal force in what Jolly did. Absolute joke.

Notice during last Saturdays game, we hit the lead, shortly after a 50m penalty to them followed by two free kicks in a row. We cop the rough end of the pineapple every week. This is no different.

This week we need to deal with Cloke and the Qstick. A tall order again. Surely Vossy will not lead Patfull to the slaughter and put him on Cloke. Hopefully we get McGuire and Clark back to deal with them and are able to release Michael to CHF/Ruck or maybe Stakes to CHF. Longer is a given for Leuie. Maybe Longer and Michael will do the best job in the ruck. I am not convinced Lisle is the best option. The crucial battle will be in the midfield again with Swann and Pendlebury. We have to tag one of them.I would tag Pendlebury as I believe you get better bang for your buck than tagging Swann. He just wers taggers down and wins anyway. It's going to be interesting at the selection table and a look into the future of life of life without Browny.

Pretty certain I read somewhere Goose wouldn't be back until after the break.

Voss just confirmed in his presser that they will contest the Brown charge.

And that Leuey is out for 4-6 weeks :(

We are in for a good old fashioned shellacking. This is the Pies week to be up and about, and with all of our outs we are in serious trouble. It will be a good test for the side just to keep their heads up.

Good on the club for contesting the Brown charge, would we have taken him to Perth anyway ?

Presuming no Brown and defiantly no Burger is really disappointing.

I think its actually a 60/40 game in our favor with them 2 in, but the advantage is with the Pies now.

Look at a the positive, if Brown is out lets hope its a break out game for someone to say I am going to take over from Brown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back