Preview Rd 10 Geelong v Gold Coast Thu May16 730pm at TIO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m glad that they set up a plan to target and nullify Stewart it’ll mean that Scott will now have to think around that issue in finals should we make it , better to had happen now that towards September and personally I would had thrown him in the middle instead of the wing that night
That was an obvious move
Questioned Tom on the wing
With mates at the game
Why not Centre or Forward?

Scott has too much faith in his players
Scott has too little bravery to try things.

Last edited:
It’s almost as if we drafted him as insurance if Stengle went off the boil this season or doesn’t re-sign for next.

I’m really surprised he isn’t pushing further up the ground in the magoos.

It makes his recruitment a tad confusing to me.
You kind of answered it yourself. Last year Stengle and Close were nowhere near their best. Mannagh was insurance for the small forward role. Stengle is having a great year this year and Close is going ok as well. Mannagh might get a chance if there are injuries or players are rested.

Max temp in Darwin Thursday is 34 degrees. It will be 29 deg when the game starts and then cool off as the game goes on.

Attachments

• IMG_2149.jpeg
    IMG_2149.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 18
The point is it’s more uncomfortable when you have not accumulated to that type of activity in that heat …you have to remember for 9 rounds they have been playing in less uncomfortable conditions than that and I have lived up there for a bit and now I live in QLD…I can be a sook about the heat but I think for an elite athlete in a winter sport it is a concern

We played the Suns years back when both Blight and Ablett jnr were with the Gold Coast and it was a preseason practise match maybe at McKay in Qld and we lost easily , and they interviewed a Suns player out on the ground after the game and he said he felt sorry for the Geel blokes because if your not used to this humidity its a killer

If you have experienced humidity which i have , the problem is playing sport if you get behind its very easy to say to yourself look this is just too hard

That was an obvious move
Questioned Tom on the wing
With mates at the game
Why not Centre or Forward?

Scott has too much faith in his players
Scott has too little bravery to try things.

Seriously??!!
He was brave enough to sub out our only ruck half way through the 2nd quarter.
He also green lights Cameron and Miers to pretty much run their own race. And all the other coaches voted him the best game day coach in the AFL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Middle of the day, especially in wet season... hoo absolutely not. But later in the day in May is ok. Still toasty, but ok.

In the Pacific islands, at first, I was gobsmacked by how slowly everyone walked there. Then I worked it out for myself...
Yeah nah I doubt you have run 20 km in that condition so I doubt you have a real understanding of what the players are facing . Walking around and running around are two very different scenarios in Darwin in that condition

You are making it sound like the players will be playing under normal conditions just because you can walk around in Darwin.

Last edited:
Yes he’s definitely capable of playing through the midfield. Alternatively, put him forward and push one of the other small forwards up to play more wing/mid.

Managh being picked as a midfielder would be extraordinary... that would show just how desperate we are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people are slightly overestimating the weather here. It's Darwin, and yes it's warm and muggy, but it's not Hades, it's not the middle of the day either.
I beg to differ regarding the Hades comparison. Well the humidity during the build up is comparable. Not sure how humid it is at the moment.

Thoughts on who trained at open training.

Figured I was right when I said we wouldn’t have Hawk, Stanley and Duncan…obviously when Jez went into concussion protocols we knew this was gonna be a hell of a lot harder.

Can see Conway, Neale and COS there.
Do we go with all 3 and throw JHenry forward as the other tall next to Shannon Neale?

Open Training Session pic

Managh being picked as a midfielder would be extraordinary... that would show just how desperate we are.
I agree, but we reached a desperate level already last week when we subbed out our ruckman in the second quarter to get Mullin to tag JHF in the guts.

Mullin hadn't even sniffed the guts in the VFL, let alone the AFL and was chucked in the deep end to tag an absolute gun like JHF, who was on fire by that stage (well done other mids not named Mullin btw).

Mullin made a good fist of it... I do doubt we just bang Mannagh in the middle (or even wing) after playing forward pocket, but if we did and he showed promise in that new position (like Mullin did), it would at least make looking or being desperate a positive.

I agree, but we reached a desperate level already last week when we subbed out our ruckman in the second quarter to get Mullin to tag JHF in the guts.

Mullin hadn't even sniffed the guts in the VFL, let alone the AFL and was chucked in the deep end to tag an absolute gun like JHF, who was on fire by that stage (well done other mids not named Mullin btw).

Mullin made a good fist of it... I do doubt we just bang Mannagh in the middle (or even wing) after playing forward pocket, but if we did and he showed promise in that new position (like Mullin did), it would at least make looking or being desperate a positive.
But why would you "bang Mannagh in the middle" when you've got a tough 185cm tall midfielder Mitch Hardie who is leading the voting in the entire VFL. I'm not sure whether you are being sarcastic but there is plenty of that on this board and I don't mind a bit of sarcasm and long sentences.

But easier to tell a lock down defender with amazing athleticism to go lock down on a midfielder than a goal sneak small forward to go beat Butters or Rowell to the footy.

The Bulldogs got within 7 points of winning there last year and actually made a late charge from memory.

I am not saying it is going to be easy, but the weather is not insurmountable.

It would be a sensational win, with the key players missing and clearly Gold Coast play well there.

But why would you "bang Mannagh in the middle" when you've got a tough 185cm tall midfielder Mitch Hardie who is leading the voting in the entire VFL. I'm not sure whether you are being sarcastic but there is plenty of that on this board and I don't mind a bit of sarcasm and long sentences.
No, I'm not being sarcastic at all.

Mannagh is a more dynamic/attacking player than Hardie.

Hardie is very same/same with our other guys in there already.

I actually don't just want to bang Mannagh in the guts though. Well I do, but in the VFL.

I have been going on about Mullin playing on the ball in the VFL for about a year now.

Thats fair i just wondered if he could do the round trip in one day in case she goes into labour. But you are right it makes more sense for him to play at home against gws next week as its just up the road.

Pity as hes one of our few players with experience playing in darwin and tactically i think it would have helped us.

Wasn't meaning any offence- I understand what you were getting at, and had it been Sydney or Gold Coast maybe, (like Duncan) he could get back in time, if it's all systems go- but from my experience in Darwin I remember most of commercial flights go only at midnight.
I think we can do it without him this week, but watch this space. His inclusion creates some controversy on here I've noticed, but it's coming sooner than later, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back